all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Entering vowels with macrons
@ 2010-02-14 20:04 Sean McAfee
From: Sean McAfee @ 2010-02-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

To my surprise, I haven't been able to find a convenient way to enter
vowels with macrons above.  Actually, the only way I've found to do so,
other than by copying and pasting, is to have the Unicode codepoints
handy and use ucs-insert.

Am I missing some way to enter these characters?  If not, what would be
the best way to add this capability for my own use?  I'm guessing that
would probably be to add the characters somewhere on the C-x 8 command
tree.  C-x 8 _ is already occupied by the two characters FEMININE
ORDINAL INDICATOR and MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR, which I didn't know
existed before now and could easily do without.

* Re: Entering vowels with macrons
@ 2010-02-14 20:16 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2010-02-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* 2010-02-14 12:04 (-0800), Sean McAfee wrote:

> To my surprise, I haven't been able to find a convenient way to enter
> vowels with macrons above.

How about rfc1345 input method? Type “&a-” and it will produce “ā”. To
activate that input method give command

    C-x C-m C-\ rfc1345 RET

* Re: Entering vowels with macrons
@ 2010-02-14 21:37 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-02-14 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean McAfee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.02.2010 um 21:04 schrieb Sean McAfee:

> C-x 8 _ is already occupied by the two characters FEMININE
> ORDINAL INDICATOR and MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR, which I didn't know
> existed before now and could easily do without.

These are needed in some larger parts of the world where French,
Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, or Brazilian is spoken...

You can also use C-q <depending on the base used a HEX or DEC or OCT
value><SPC, RET, ESC, cursor movement to end>.

Some X servers allow to compose a character by either a compose
sequence or the basic character+dead modifier. You could also modify
GNU Emacs' keyboard map to self-insert these characters by pressing
particular key combinations.

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

* Re: Entering vowels with macrons
@ 2010-02-14 22:15 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-02-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean McAfee wrote:
> To my surprise, I haven't been able to find a convenient way to enter
> vowels with macrons above.  Actually, the only way I've found to do so,
> other than by copying and pasting, is to have the Unicode codepoints
> handy and use ucs-insert.
>
> Am I missing some way to enter these characters?  If not, what would be
> the best way to add this capability for my own use?  I'm guessing that
> would probably be to add the characters somewhere on the C-x 8 command
> tree.  C-x 8 _ is already occupied by the two characters FEMININE
> ORDINAL INDICATOR and MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR, which I didn't know
> existed before now and could easily do without.

Macroned vowels are part of the latin-4-postfix input method.
C-x ret C-\ latin-4-postfix will switch to this method.
C-\ to toggle to former method.

āeīōū ĀĒĪŌŪ

* Re: Entering vowels with macrons
@ 2010-02-14 22:16   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-02-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:
> Sean McAfee wrote:
>> To my surprise, I haven't been able to find a convenient way to enter
>> vowels with macrons above.  Actually, the only way I've found to do so,
>> other than by copying and pasting, is to have the Unicode codepoints
>> handy and use ucs-insert.
>>
>> Am I missing some way to enter these characters?  If not, what would be
>> the best way to add this capability for my own use?  I'm guessing that
>> would probably be to add the characters somewhere on the C-x 8 command
>> tree.  C-x 8 _ is already occupied by the two characters FEMININE
>> ORDINAL INDICATOR and MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR, which I didn't know
>> existed before now and could easily do without.
>
> Macroned vowels are part of the latin-4-postfix input method.
> C-x ret C-\ latin-4-postfix will switch to this method.
> C-\ to toggle to former method.
>
> āeīōū ĀĒĪŌŪ

and ē