On Dec 7, 2009, at 8:23 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: > David Reitter writes: > >> [Pet peeves:] > >> - Indentation (left/right, e.g. C-c C-> in python-mode, as well as >> re-indenting the current line according to syntax) > > Indentation in Python changes the semantics of the code, and it cannot > be deduced from the syntax of the code in the buffer. This is not > true for other languages, and it's not surprising to me that > Pythonistas want an indentation function that works according to > current level *and* one that changes level. > the "standard" key. Eg, in Python mode TAB *is* bound to > indent-for-tab-command and it *does* do the right thing. C-c > is > *additional* functionality Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear and my parenthesis doesn't help at all. I didn't mean to imply that left/right movement (semantics-changing in Python) should be equivalent to re-indenting semi-automatically (as done with TAB). My take-home message is that not enough such functions can be rebound centrally. I'd like to have A-] to shift to the right, for instance, no matter what the mode is.