all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to set file coding system but using per directory variables
@ 2014-03-01 12:54 Paul K
From: Paul K @ 2014-03-01 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

when I add following as first llne in a buffer it is properly interpretted

-*- coding: windows-1250-dos -*-

I don't want to add any headers to files though, so I created
.dir-locals.el file with following content:
((nil . ((buffer-file-coding-system . windows-1250-dos)
         (coding-system-for-read . windows-1250-dos)
         (coding-system-for-write . windows-1250-dos))))

then when I open file coding system is not automatically converted, I need
to do extra buffer reverting for declared coding system to be applied.

do You have any ideas?

best regards,

* Re: how to set file coding system but using per directory variables
@ 2014-03-04  6:49 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2014-03-04  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.03.2014 13:54, schrieb Paul K:
> when I add following as first llne in a buffer it is properly interpretted
>
> -*- coding: windows-1250-dos -*-
>

> I don't want to add any headers to files though, so I created
> .dir-locals.el file with following content:
> ((nil . ((buffer-file-coding-system . windows-1250-dos)
>           (coding-system-for-read . windows-1250-dos)
>           (coding-system-for-write . windows-1250-dos))))
>

> then when I open file coding system is not automatically converted, I need
> to do extra buffer reverting for declared coding system to be applied.
>
> do You have any ideas?
>
> best regards,

Maybe needs a string - "windows-1250-dos" ?

Alternatively - Would it help to define it at the end of buffer instead?

;; Local Variables:
;; coding: windows-1250-dos
;; End:

Also employing tweaked find-file command seems possible:

(defun find-file-windows-1250-dos (filename &optional wildcards)
   "Edit file FILENAME using coding-system windows-1250-dos.

See find-file for documentation"
   (interactive
    (find-file-read-args "Find file: "
                         (confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer)))
   (let ((coding-system-for-read 'windows-1250-dos)
         (coding-system-for-write 'windows-1250-dos)
         (value (find-file-noselect filename nil nil wildcards)))
     (if (listp value)
	(mapcar 'switch-to-buffer (nreverse value))
       (switch-to-buffer value))))

* Re: how to set file coding system but using per directory variables
@ 2014-03-04  7:04   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2014-03-04  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.03.2014 07:49, schrieb Andreas Röhler:
> Am 01.03.2014 13:54, schrieb Paul K:
>> when I add following as first llne in a buffer it is properly interpretted
>>
>> -*- coding: windows-1250-dos -*-
>>

>> I don't want to add any headers to files though, so I created
>> .dir-locals.el file with following content:
>> ((nil . ((buffer-file-coding-system . windows-1250-dos)
>>           (coding-system-for-read . windows-1250-dos)
>>           (coding-system-for-write . windows-1250-dos))))
>>

>> then when I open file coding system is not automatically converted, I need
>> to do extra buffer reverting for declared coding system to be applied.
>>
>> do You have any ideas?
>>
>> best regards,
>>

> Maybe needs a string - "windows-1250-dos" ?

or being quoted?

* Re: how to set file coding system but using per directory variables
@ 2014-03-04 20:21 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-03-04 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.03.2014 um 13:54 schrieb Paul K:

> -*- coding: windows-1250-dos -*-

To work, I think, it needs to be:

	-*- coding: windows-1250-dos; -*-

--
Greetings

  Pete

Perl—the only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.
				- Keith Bostic

* Re: how to set file coding system but using per directory variables
@ 2014-05-05 19:04   ` Paul K
From: Paul K @ 2014-05-05 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter, thank You for the help.