all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Resyncing in ediff
@ 2012-03-05 21:48 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-03-05 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sometimes ediff regions get off by one. (It seems to get confused around lines that consist only of whitespace, something that happens easily in emacs.)

Is there a "nice" way to get ediff to resync?

I can imagine writing the code to (1) gather relevant vars and their values, (2) quit ediff, (3) narrow the buffers from point to EOB, (4) run ediff-buffers on the same buffers and (5) restore all the vars. However, I'm guessing that with the complexity of ediff will make that slightly harder than my uneducated imagination is guessing right now.

Thanks.

,Doug

* RE: Resyncing in ediff
@ 2012-03-05 22:34 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-03-05 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Doug Lewan', help-gnu-emacs

> Sometimes ediff regions get off by one. (It seems to get
> confused around lines that consist only of whitespace,
> something that happens easily in emacs.)
>
> Is there a "nice" way to get ediff to resync?
>
> I can imagine writing the code to (1) gather relevant vars
> and their values, (2) quit ediff, (3) narrow the buffers from
> point to EOB, (4) run ediff-buffers on the same buffers and
> (5) restore all the vars. However, I'm guessing that with the
> complexity of ediff will make that slightly harder than my
> uneducated imagination is guessing right now.

Perhaps someone has a real answer for you.  I do not.
Here is what I do, FWIW:

1. Make sure both buffers have the same encoding - e.g. `undecided-unix'.  For
some reason, that can make a difference.  If they are different, then sometimes
Ediff works at first but does not work after hitting `!' etc.

2. Narrow the buffers to a region and ediff that.  IOW, ediff the problematic
areas piecemeal.

With luck someone else will enlighten both of us.

(Caveat: I sometimes use ediff with older Emacs versions (back to 20).  It is
possible that behavior is different for different versions.)