all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
       [not found] <mailman.46.1291898383.22010.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-09 14:11 ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-12-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 9 Dez., 13:39, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I found a couple thousand emails in my inbox from this list...
> going back into August.  I'm on several other mailing lists and none of
> them did this, so I don't think the problem was with my mailserver
> (hosted remotely by my ISP).  Has anyone else experienced this

yes some people are complaining but I don't have this problem, since
I'm not on the mailinglist, but checking the newsgroup via google-
groups.

Apparently gnu.org has a problem, I remember the server being offline
last week, so probably the restart broke something.

The only recommendation I can give is to leave the mailinglist and to
switch to a newsreader.

The worst case can be to write a spam-filter.

HTH
 rolf

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
@ 2010-12-09 17:30   ` suvayu ali
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-09 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 9 Dez., 13:39, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
>> Yesterday I found a couple thousand emails in my inbox from this list...
>> going back into August.  I'm on several other mailing lists and none of
>> them did this, so I don't think the problem was with my mailserver
>> (hosted remotely by my ISP).  Has anyone else experienced this

I am experiencing this too, And because of all these emails I can't follow
when a "truly" new post is made. :( I use Gmail for reading and
posting.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
@ 2010-12-09 17:30   ` Peter Dyballa
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-09 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.12.2010 um 15:11 schrieb LanX:

> Apparently gnu.org has a problem, I remember the server being offline
> last week, so probably the restart broke something.

It had. Now it's delivering all the eMails it "cached" since spring...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Don't force it; get a larger hammer.
				– Anthony's Law of Force

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
@ 2010-12-09 18:16   ` Eli Zaretskii
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-09 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:11:45 -0800 (PST)
>
> On 9 Dez., 13:39, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday I found a couple thousand emails in my inbox from this list...
> > going back into August.  I'm on several other mailing lists and none of
> > them did this, so I don't think the problem was with my mailserver
> > (hosted remotely by my ISP).  Has anyone else experienced this
>
> yes some people are complaining but I don't have this problem, since
> I'm not on the mailinglist, but checking the newsgroup via google-
> groups.
>
> Apparently gnu.org has a problem, I remember the server being offline
> last week, so probably the restart broke something.

It's not a problem with gnu.org.  The NNTP server used for the news
to maillist gateway suddenly delivered a bunch of old messages that
were never seen on the mailing list before.

It's all over now, btw.

> The only recommendation I can give is to leave the mailinglist and to
> switch to a newsreader.

No, thanks, with all the spam that's flooding news servers these
days...

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-09 18:32   ` Tyler Smith
       [not found]   ` <mailman.36.1291942792.5417.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tyler Smith @ 2010-12-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> writes:

> On 9 Dez., 13:39, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
>> Yesterday I found a couple thousand emails in my inbox from this list...
>> going back into August.  I'm on several other mailing lists and none of
>> them did this, so I don't think the problem was with my mailserver
>> (hosted remotely by my ISP).  Has anyone else experienced this
>
> yes some people are complaining but I don't have this problem, since
> I'm not on the mailinglist, but checking the newsgroup via google-
> groups.
>
> Apparently gnu.org has a problem, I remember the server being offline
> last week, so probably the restart broke something.
>
> The only recommendation I can give is to leave the mailinglist and to
> switch to a newsreader.

The problem exists on gmane too, at least for me. Nearly a thousand
messages waiting to be read today, stretching back months.

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-09 18:35   ` Jonathan Groll
       [not found]   ` <mailman.36.1291942792.5417.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2010-12-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:11:45 -0800 (PST), LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 9 Dez., 13:39, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday I found a couple thousand emails in my inbox from this list...
> > going back into August.  I'm on several other mailing lists and none of
> > them did this, so I don't think the problem was with my mailserver
> > (hosted remotely by my ISP).  Has anyone else experienced this
>
> yes some people are complaining but I don't have this problem, since
> I'm not on the mailinglist, but checking the newsgroup via google-
> groups.
>
> Apparently gnu.org has a problem, I remember the server being offline
> last week, so probably the restart broke something.
>
> The only recommendation I can give is to leave the mailinglist and to
> switch to a newsreader.
>
> The worst case can be to write a spam-filter.

I too received approx. 1360 old list mails (and it does seems like
these mails were never sent to me originally).

It also seems that all of these mails were sent to a usenet newsgroup
originally (from reading the Mail Header fields) and not directly to
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org which makes me think the problem may lie with a
usenet-mail gateway.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za
has_one { :blog => "http://bloggroll.com" }

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
@ 2010-12-09 22:38     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-09 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.12.2010 um 19:32 schrieb Tyler Smith:

> Nearly a thousand messages waiting to be read today, stretching back
> months.

*Maybe* one third of this...

--
Greetings

   Pete

What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software
'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

* Re: Flood of old emails from this list
@ 2010-12-10  9:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:16:32 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> It's all over now, btw.

Famous last words...

It's still not over, it seems, but at least I get much fewer messages
than a day or two ago.

@ 2010-12-10 23:01     ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2010-12-10 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Dec 09 2010, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:11:45 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> On 9 Dez., 13:39, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
>> > Yesterday I found a couple thousand emails in my inbox from this list...
>> > going back into August.  I'm on several other mailing lists and none of
>> > them did this, so I don't think the problem was with my mailserver
>> > (hosted remotely by my ISP).  Has anyone else experienced this
>>
>> yes some people are complaining but I don't have this problem, since
>> I'm not on the mailinglist, but checking the newsgroup via google-
>> groups.
>>
>> Apparently gnu.org has a problem, I remember the server being offline
>> last week, so probably the restart broke something.
>
> It's not a problem with gnu.org.  The NNTP server used for the news
> to maillist gateway suddenly delivered a bunch of old messages that
> were never seen on the mailing list before.
>
> It's all over now, btw.
>
>> The only recommendation I can give is to leave the mailinglist and to
>> switch to a newsreader.
>
> No, thanks, with all the spam that's flooding news servers these
> days...

Don't judge Usenet by what you see on Google Groups (or whatever it is
called these days).  eternal-september.org does a fine job of just
delivering the Usenet I want, and the price is right too.

Jason