all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rebinding iso keys
@ 2006-04-02 12:33 josh
       [not found] ` <mailman.290.1143984033.2481.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: josh @ 2006-04-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have a german keyboard and would like to rebind the characters "ä"
"ö"
"ü" and also "ß" to functions, replacing the self-insert function,
but I
can't find the right vector code or whatever for the keys.

For example, I've tried the following variations (from my .emacs):

(defun TeX-parenth () (interactive) (TeX-Inserting ?\\ "("  "()"))
(defun TeX-a-umlaut () (interactive) (insert "\"") (insert "a"))

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     ;; Begin bracket closing
	     (local-set-key  "(" 'TeX-parenth)

	     (local-set-key "ä" 'TeX-a-umlaut)
	     (local-set-key [?\xe4] 'TeX-a-umlaut)   ;iso ?
	     (local-set-key [?\xc384] 'TeX-A-umlaut) ;unicode ?

))

It works for the parenthesis, but not for "ä", and actually, I would
like to
keep my .emacs in ascii, so I don't really even want the "ä"
variation.

Two questions:
1) what am I doing wrong and

2)How can I capture the right vector code that the keyboard sends to
emacs when I press "ä", so I can bind it properly?

Thanks,

Josh

* Re: rebinding iso keys
@ 2006-04-02 13:20 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.290.1143984033.2481.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-02 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.04.2006 um 14:33 schrieb josh:

> can't find the right vector code or whatever for the keys.

Try to set the keys interactively first. Then do repeat-complex-
command and grab and save the interactive key binding:

	C-x ESC ESC C-a C-k C-g C-x b .emacs RET C-y C-x C-s

You could start your .emacs file with

	;;; -*- mode: lisp; coding: us-ascii; -*-

The variable file-coding-system-alist could be set to handle files
ending in .emacs to be of a certain coding system ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Diese Nachricht wurde mit einer Taschenlampe
ins offene Ende eines Glasfaserkabels gemorst.

* Re: rebinding iso keys
       [not found] ` <mailman.290.1143984033.2481.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-03 18:39   ` josh
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11.1144110174.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: josh @ 2006-04-03 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, it worked!

I still have two questions:

1) binding interactively, executing repeat-complex-command, and then
yanking out of the mini-buffer was certainly a clever idea to get what
I wanted, but what's the "real" way? Is there no way to look up the
correct code? Where is it stored?

2) what was wrong with what I tried:

             (local-set-key "ä" 'TeX-a-umlaut)
             (local-set-key [?\xe4] 'TeX-a-umlaut)   ;iso ?
             (local-set-key [?\xc384] 'TeX-A-umlaut) ;unicode ?

-j

* Re: rebinding iso keys
@ 2006-04-03 20:19     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11.1144110174.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.04.2006 um 20:39 schrieb josh:

> 2) what was wrong with what I tried:
>
>              (local-set-key "ä" 'TeX-a-umlaut)
>              (local-set-key [?\xe4] 'TeX-a-umlaut)   ;iso ?
>              (local-set-key [?\xc384] 'TeX-A-umlaut) ;unicode ?

These are all /your/ ideas about this "key code." Obviously GNU Emacs
has its own. What is GNU Emacs' idea of ä, i.e. what is your code?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                     Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: rebinding iso keys
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11.1144110174.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-04 11:52       ` josh
From: josh @ 2006-04-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

>These are all /your/ ideas about this "key code." Obviously GNU Emacs
>has its own. What is GNU Emacs' idea of ä, i.e. what is your code?

yes (except that "ä" should still be "ä"), which is why I asked
question number 1) above:

>1) binding interactively, executing repeat-complex-command, and then
>yanking out of the mini-buffer was certainly a clever idea to get what
>I wanted, but what's the "real" way? Is there no way to look up the
>correct code? Where is it stored?

So, where is this stored, and how can I look up the code? Like I said,
using repeat-complex-command was clever, but what's the "real" way of
doing this?

-j

p.s. here's another good windoze quote:

"A computer without M$-Windows is like a piece of chocolate cake
without mustard and ketchup"

* Re: rebinding iso keys
@ 2006-04-04 11:57         ` Miles Bader
       [not found]         ` <mailman.25.1144152547.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-04-04 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"josh" <jbuhl_nospam@gmx.de> writes:
> So, where is this stored, and how can I look up the code? Like I said,
> using repeat-complex-command was clever, but what's the "real" way of
> doing this?

You can position the cursor over the character in a buffer (ä in this
case), and use `C-x =' to see its "emacs code".

-Miles
--
"Nah, there's no bigger atheist than me.  Well, I take that back.
I'm a cancer screening away from going agnostic and a biopsy away

* Re: rebinding iso keys
       [not found]         ` <mailman.25.1144152547.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-04 18:24           ` josh
From: josh @ 2006-04-04 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Miles,

cool, thanks! This clears up some of my confusion, since C-x = produces

Char: ä (04344, 2276, 0x8e4, file ...) point=192 of 192 (99%) column 0

and now not only does the following (produced using
repeat-complex-command as suggested above) work:

(local-set-key (quote [2276]) (quote TeX-a-umlaut))

but also

(local-set-key [?\x8e4] 'TeX-a-umlaut)

e4 being the iso code for "ä" (as I recall, at least). My last
question is now, why the "8" ?

-j

* Re: rebinding iso keys
       [not found]         ` <mailman.25.1144152547.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-04 18:48         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-04 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.04.2006 um 13:52 schrieb josh:

>> 1) binding interactively, executing repeat-complex-command, and then
>> yanking out of the mini-buffer was certainly a clever idea to get
>> what
>> I wanted, but what's the "real" way? Is there no way to look up the
>> correct code? Where is it stored?
>
> So, where is this stored, and how can I look up the code? Like I said,
> using repeat-complex-command was clever, but what's the "real" way of
> doing this?

I can't tell! I think I've seen a few times that the data C-h k gave
me did not work in global-set-key. From this list I knew this trick
and use it excessively and successfully.

I think GNU Emacs uses environment variables like LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL,
LANG to determine in which format data from the keyboard enters. I
have some UTF-8 set. I have from this setting the problem of
converting UTF-8 to ISO 8859-15 encoding as used in my .emacs. When
you use the trick of interactively binding a key and retrieving it
with repeat-complex-command, you insert for example UTF-8 data from
the keyboard that is automatically converted into ISO 8859-15 format!

Variables and commands used in this area are set-keyboard-coding-
system, set-terminal-coding-system, set-clipboard-coding-system, set-
selection-coding-system, ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Das Militär ist eine Pflanze, die mensch sorgfältig pflegen muss,
damit sie keine Früchte trägt. (Jacques Tati)

* Re: rebinding iso keys
@ 2006-04-13 20:49             ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2006-04-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"josh" <jbuhl_nospam@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Miles,
>
> cool, thanks! This clears up some of my confusion, since C-x = produces
>
> Char: ä (04344, 2276, 0x8e4, file ...) point=192 of 192 (99%) column 0

[...]
> (local-set-key [?\x8e4] 'TeX-a-umlaut)
>
> e4 being the iso code for "ä" (as I recall, at least). My last
> question is now, why the "8" ?

E4 is indeed the ISO 8859-X code for "ä", but that is not the point
here. 8E4 is the code point for the character "ä" (well, for one of
the "ä"-characters) in Emacs internal coding system `emacs-mule'.

    Oliver
--
24 Germinal an 214 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!