Further to my message below, I have reproduced the bug by loading the attached file, making the frame small and scrolling back and forth with the scrollbar. The two stack traces looks different, though. The mode-line reads PDFLaTeX/F Ref BCite ll Noweb NWFL for this file. The problem appears to be related to Noweb Mode, which seems to come with R-mode. It switches back and forth between LaTeX-mode (from AUCTeX), fundamental-mode and ESS-mode. (Problem is only reproducible is noweb-mode is on.) Secondly, changing the major mode triggers a few things in `aquamacs- styles-mode': different faces and frame parameters are applied to the frame that displays a window with that buffer. But of course that shouldn't crash Emacs...