all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-11-25 23:51 Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-11-25 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 59587

I am not sure whether I sent a similar ticket before or not!

I used to have the following desired behaviour with Gnus: when I send an
email from my phone to someone, gnus pulls this email when it checks the
emails. However, now this behaviour unfortunately is no longer
persistent. Gnus does not pulls an email that was sent from other
devices connected to the same account!

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-09-12 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  evil-escape-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  winum-mode: t
  pupo-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-vi-tilde-fringe-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  spaceline-info-mode: t
  spaceline-helm-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  purpose-mode: t
  eyebrowse-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  clean-aindent-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  spacemacs-leader-override-mode: t
  global-spacemacs-leader-override-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/load-env-vars-20180511.2210/load-env-vars hides /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/core/libs/forks/load-env-vars
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/spinner-1.7.4/spinner hides /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/core/libs/spinner
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/transient-20221124.2341/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/hierarchy-20190425.842/hierarchy hides /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/hierarchy

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail gnus-draft gnus-icalendar icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs flow-fill url-http url-auth url-gw nnselect gnus-search
avy eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe misearch multi-isearch
evil-surround sort gnus-cite smiley shr-color mm-archive mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic qp pop3 utf-7 gnutls imap
rfc2104 nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder epa-file network-stream nsm
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache highlight-parentheses ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache zeroconf helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug backtrace
helm-info helm-descbinds helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-mode exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib evil-escape ox-pandoc ht ox-org ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-contacts
org-projectile projectile grep org-category-capture org-capture gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap utf7
netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-win nnrss dom mm-url nnmail gnus-int
gnus-range mail-source message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader nnoo gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mail-utils org-agenda org-refile ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol org-keys oc
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons
magic-latex-buffer iimage tex-mode compile delsel winner auto-dictionary
async diminish evil-matchit evil-matchit-evil-setup evil-matchit-sdk
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func xterm-color ws-butler
winum spacemacs-purpose-popwin window-purpose-x imenu-list hideshow
imenu ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs evil-collection-dired dired
dired-loaddefs etags fileloop generator xref project volatile-highlights
vi-tilde-fringe undo-tree diff queue symbol-overlay string-inflection
spaceline-config spaceline-segments spaceline powerline
powerline-separators color powerline-themes saveplace savehist
restart-emacs desktop frameset server popwin persp-mode org-rich-yank
multi-line multi-line-find multi-line-enter multi-line-decorator
multi-line-respace multi-line-shared shut-up multi-line-cycle
multi-line-candidate journalctl-mode array hl-todo compat compat-macs
geben dbgp window-purpose window-purpose-fixes
window-purpose-prefix-overload window-purpose-switch let-alist
window-purpose-layout window-purpose-core window-purpose-configuration
window-purpose-utils eyebrowse evil-unimpaired f f-shortdoc shortdoc
text-property-search evil-textobj-line evil-mc evil-mc-command-execute
evil-mc-command-record evil-mc-cursor-make evil-mc-region
evil-mc-cursor-state evil-mc-undo evil-mc-vars evil-mc-known-commands
evil-mc-common evil-easymotion evil-collection-buff-menu evil-collection
annalist evil-anzu anzu emr popup s dash editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch edit-server noutline
outline drag-stuff column-enforce-mode clean-aindent-mode clang-format
xml helm-easymenu cl drupal/pcomplete tex-site hybrid-mode
evil-evilified-state which-key use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core hydra lv evil evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands
reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-search
evil-ex shell pcomplete comint ansi-color evil-types evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring
bind-map info quelpa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode lisp-mnt mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr help-fns
radix-tree hl-line xt-mouse autorevert filenotify disp-table cl-extra
recentf tree-widget spacemacs-dark-theme spacemacs-common format-spec
finder-inf ido-vertical-mode ido core-spacemacs core-spacebind
core-use-package-ext core-transient-state core-micro-state core-toggle
core-keybindings core-fonts-support core-themes-support
core-display-init core-jump core-release-management core-custom-settings
core-configuration-layer core-progress-bar core-spacemacs-buffer
core-funcs spacemacs-ht inline help-mode warnings package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
password-cache json map url-vars eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs epg
rfc6068 epg-config core-command-line core-debug edmacro kmacro derived
core-hooks page-break-lines easy-mmode core-env load-env-vars rx
core-dotspacemacs advice core-customization validate cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit seq byte-opt core-emacs-backports core-compilation
pcase bytecomp byte-compile cconv core-dumper subr-x spinner cl-macs gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib core-load-paths core-versions core-early-funcs
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1004030 1250925)
 (symbols 48 67716 4)
 (strings 32 272580 119880)
 (string-bytes 1 14684206)
 (vectors 16 109307)
 (vector-slots 8 2173992 1037912)
 (floats 8 1330 5373)
 (intervals 56 5122 4730)
 (buffers 992 42))

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-11-26 22:49 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-26 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: 59587

Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net> writes:

> I am not sure whether I sent a similar ticket before or not!
>
> I used to have the following desired behaviour with Gnus: when I send an
> email from my phone to someone, gnus pulls this email when it checks the
> emails. However, now this behaviour unfortunately is no longer
> persistent. Gnus does not pulls an email that was sent from other
> devices connected to the same account!

We'd need a lot more information than this to figure out the problem.
What kind of mail account is this (IMAP, something else?) and how are
you sending emails from your phone? Did the email used to show up in a
"Sent" folder, or where are you expecting them to appear? Is it possible
that Gnus is pulling the emails, but they're marked as read so they
don't display by default?

My first guess is that your phone client used to save outgoing mails,
but has either stopped doing that, or saves them in a different place
now.

Eric

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-11-30 23:47   ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-11-30 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59587

Thanks so much for your reply. After I read your reply, I did several experiments and found that the problem does not happen (that is, Gnus pulls the sent messages) if I send from the webmail interface of a pop3 email, e.g., using chrome to send from my gmail account. In that case Gnus will pull the sent email. However, if the email is sent from my iphone (whether IMAP or pop3 account) or even from a webmail interface of an IMAP account, Gnus does not pull the sent email although the email is indeed saved in the sent box (I go online and check).

@ 2022-12-01 16:00     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-12-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: 59587

Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net> writes:

> Thanks so much for your reply. After I read your reply, I did several
> experiments and found that the problem does not happen (that is, Gnus
> pulls the sent messages) if I send from the webmail interface of a
> pop3 email, e.g., using chrome to send from my gmail account. In that
> case Gnus will pull the sent email. However, if the email is sent from
> my iphone (whether IMAP or pop3 account) or even from a webmail
> interface of an IMAP account, Gnus does not pull the sent email
> although the email is indeed saved in the sent box (I go online and
> check).

This still isn't enough information to help you. How is Gnus fetching
mail for this account? Is it an nnimap backend, or some other mail
backend using a mail source?

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-01 17:16       ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-01 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59587

Thanks again for your time,

I have four emails, three are pop3 and one is imap. I am using nnml. This is my gnus.el part:

```
(setq mail-sources `(
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@fcih.net"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl)
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@aucegypt.edu"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl)
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl)
		                 (imap :server "mail.uvic.ca"
		       	              :user "wyousef@uvic.ca"
		       	              :port 993
		       	              :stream ssl
			                    )
		                 )
      gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gnus.org")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))

      user-mail-address "wyousef@fcih.net"
      user-full-name "Waleed Yousef"
      send-mail-function		'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function	'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server		"smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service             '587
)
```

Another piece of information is that I am using spacemacs, which I do not think it will make any difference as its maintainers confirmed to me that they did not change anything with gnus

Thanks so much.

@ 2022-12-06  4:10         ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-06  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59587

One more piece of clue: I installed outlook on my iphone to experiment with, as a replacement of “Mail app” of iphone. The same problem exist, i.e., when I send an email with outlook, gnus does not fetch it.

@ 2022-12-07  0:10           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-12-07  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: 59587

Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net> writes:

> One more piece of clue: I installed outlook on my iphone to experiment with, as a replacement of “Mail app” of iphone. The same problem exist, i.e., when I send an email with outlook, gnus does not fetch it.

Can you confirm that the Outlook app saves your sent message in the app?
What's the name of the folder the send mail is saved to?

My guess is that the account in question is the one you're using as an
imap mail source. When you use imap as a mail source, Gnus will only
fetch mails from the folders named in the :mailbox setting, which
defaults to "INBOX". So I'm guessing that the mail is being saved into
"Sent" or something like that, but Gnus does not fetch mail from there.

If it's true that this is the imap account, then try changing the
mail-source definition to:

(imap :server "mail.uvic.ca"
      :user "wyousef@uvic.ca"
      :port 993
      :stream ssl
      :mailbox ("INBOX" "Sent")
      )

Replacing "Sent" with whatever the actual name of the sent mail folder
is.

Alternately (and in my mind preferably), access the imap account using a
full nnimap server backend. Then you'll see everything, and get two-way
sync.

Eric

@ 2022-12-07  0:17             ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-07  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59587

Thanks so much.

In fact, this problem happens even with pop3 emails. When I send an email, using a pop account, either from Outlook or Mail (both are apps on iphone), the email is saved in the app and I can see it on the webmail in the folder sent, but Gnus cannot fetch the email. However, if I send from the webmail Gnus fetches it!!

So, in both cases the email is saved to the folder sent of the pop account!!

@ 2022-12-07  0:38               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-12-07  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: 59587

On 12/06/22 16:17 PM, Waleed Yousef wrote:
> Thanks so much.
>
> In fact, this problem happens even with pop3 emails. When I send an
> email, using a pop account, either from Outlook or Mail (both are apps
> on iphone), the email is saved in the app and I can see it on the
> webmail in the folder sent, but Gnus cannot fetch the email. However,
> if I send from the webmail Gnus fetches it!!
>
> So, in both cases the email is saved to the folder sent of the pop account!!

Do the sent messages have the same marks (both marked as read, anything
else) regardless of whether you send them from the app or from webmail?

And you have the sent mail folder in Gnus, but it only contains messages
that were sent via the webmail, not the messages sent via the app?

I'm running out of ideas, I'm afraid...

Eric

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-09  2:34                 ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59587

Thanks so much for your patience,

Yes, the app (whether it is Outlook or Mail app of iphone) saves the
mail to the "Sent" folder within the app itself, and I find it in the
folder "Sent" on the webmail. In both cases (whether I send from the app
or the webmail) I see the message in the "Sent" folder on the webmail
marked as read. I tried to mark it as unread, hoping that Gnus will
fetch it, with no success.

For gnus, yes, I receive all messages sent via webmail not the messages
sent via the app!

I am really puzzled about this!

@ 2022-12-09 10:41               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-12-09 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

By default, Gnus only fetches UNSEEN (and UNDELETED) mails, so make sure
the sending MUA does not mark the sent mail as SEEN.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-09 15:37                 ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

I meant by “read” its colour on the webmail after sending  is faint not bold. Both (the email sent by the app and the email sent by webmail) appear faint on the webmail after sending; however, Gnus fetches only the one sent by the webmail.

Do you suggest another criterion, than colour, to check the status of the sent email whether it is SEEN or UNSEEN.

@ 2022-12-09 15:42                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-12-09 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: 59587, Waleed Yousef

On 12/09/22 11:41 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> By default, Gnus only fetches UNSEEN (and UNDELETED) mails, so make sure
> the sending MUA does not mark the sent mail as SEEN.

Thanks, Andreas, I was hoping it might be something like this.

Waleed, can you see what marks are set on the sent mail? SEEN is
distinct from READ. You can also change the config for your imap mail
source, adding

:predicate "1:*"

see the "Mail Source Specifiers" section of the manual. That only
applies to imap mail sources, though.

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-09 16:09                   ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, 59587

Amazing!

I just added added what you have suggested (:predicate "1:*") to the
imap account I have; it fetched more than thousand emails, including
those sent today. So, it is working now for imap. However, how can I do
it for pop? The strange thing is that it was working until just weeks or
months ago; what happened!!

Just for your information, I will re-share my mail source settings:

```

		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@fcih.net"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl
                          :leave non-nil)
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@aucegypt.edu"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl
                          :leave non-nil)
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl
                          :leave non-nil)
		                 (imap :server "mail.uvic.ca"
		       	               :user "wyousef@uvic.ca"
		       	               :port 993
                           :predicate "1:*"
		      	               :stream ssl
                           :mailbox ("inbox" "sent items")
                           :fetchflag "\\Seen"
			                     )
```

@ 2022-12-09 16:28                     ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, 59587

Oh; but for the imap account Gnus keeps fetching all the emails again
and again! I have to remove this :predicate "1:*"

@ 2022-12-09 16:46                       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-12-09 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, 59587

Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net> writes:

> Oh; but for the imap account Gnus keeps fetching all the emails again
> and again! I have to remove this :predicate "1:*"

You'll have to play with matching :predicate and :fetchflag configs. The
:predicate can target flags (the default appears to be "UNSEEN
UNDELETED") and then :fetchflag can set a flag that will be filtered out
by subsequent fetches.

The pop mail source doesn't have an equivalent predicate, and I assume
it would just fetch everything.

Nothing has changed with mail sources or fetching in the past several
months...

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-09 16:49                       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-12-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

If the IMAP server allows setting arbitrary keywords, you can use that
to mark the downloaded mails.

              :predicate "UNKEYWORD gnus-fetched"
              :fetchflag "gnus-fetched \\Seen"

--

@ 2022-12-09 17:37                         ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

I copied and pasted exactly what you wrote; when fetching it gives me an
error of bad code bla bla..

I read this page
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Mail-Source-Specifiers.html
I could not find more information.

On the other hand, for the pop server, how I checks for the SEEN/UNSEEN
flag of the message on the server? From the webmail, I clicked on
message details and information and did not find useful information.

@ 2022-12-09 17:54                           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-12-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

The IMAP server probably doesn't offer the ability to set arbitrary
flags.  You can see that in the answer to the SELECT command, which the
IMAP server answers with PERMANENTFLAGS and the list of possible flags
(which must include \* for this ability).

The POP protocol does not offer any options here at all.

--

@ 2022-12-09 18:02                             ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

I really appreciate your support. So, do you think there is no more
things to try? This means that I will always have Gnus out of sync with
my emails sent from my phone when I am away from my laptop!

@ 2022-12-09 18:14                               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-12-09 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

When I have to cope with such an impoverished mail server, I work around
that by using the \Draft flag to mark the downloaded mails.

--

@ 2022-12-09 18:17                                 ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

So, this is the code:

                           :predicate "\\Draft"
                           :fetchflag "\\Draft"

with two two \\ not just one \

@ 2022-12-09 18:33                                   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-12-09 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

The predicate is UNDRAFT.
See RFC3501 for a full list of predicates (in the SEARCH command).

--

@ 2022-12-09 19:12                                     ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

Ok; thanks so much. I think it works now for the imap except that when I
send from Gnus I cannot find the sent mail on the webmail Sent box!!! So
the snycing is one-way only.

My stmp settings in gnus are: (BTW, my imap email is the last one, which
is wyousef@uvic.ca)

```
(setq ;;;;SMTP
 user-mail-address "wyousef@fcih.net"
 user-full-name "Waleed Yousef"
 smtpmail-smtp-server	"smtp.gmail.com"
 smtpmail-smtp-service '587
 send-mail-function		'smtpmail-send-it
 message-send-mail-function	'smtpmail-send-it
 ;; very nice examples here: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Posting-Styles.html
 gnus-posting-styles '(
			                 ((header "to" "wyousef@aucegypt.edu")
                        (From "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@aucegypt.edu>")
			                  ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 wyousef@aucegypt.edu"))
			                 ((header "to" "wyousef@gwumail.gwu.edu")
                        (From "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu>")
			                  ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu"))
			                 ((header "to" "wyousef@uvic.ca")
                        (From "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@uvic.ca>")
			                  ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.uvic.ca 587 wyousef@uvic.ca"))
                       )
 )
```
What do you suggest for this?

For the pop, it is the other way around; what Gnus sends really goes to
the server. However, as I explained, Gnus does not fetch the mails sent
from the iphone apps. For solving this, do you suggest I turn all my pop
mails to imap?

@ 2022-12-09 19:33                                       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-12-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

If you have the option then IMAP is always preferable over POP.

--

@ 2022-12-09 19:39                                         ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, 59587

Ok;

Still looking forward please for your advice on the first part (sending from Gnus does not show up on the Sent folder of imap) BTW, this imap account is I think exchange server.

@ 2022-12-11 18:32                                       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-12-11 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, 59587

On 12/09/22 11:12 AM, Waleed Yousef wrote:
> Ok; thanks so much. I think it works now for the imap except that when I
> send from Gnus I cannot find the sent mail on the webmail Sent box!!! So
> the snycing is one-way only.

Are you using Gcc headers? My posting styles look like, eg:

	("gmane"
	 (address "eric@ericabrahamsen.net")
	 (gcc "nnimap+Personal:Sent")
	 )

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-11 19:31 ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-11 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, 59587

Yes, I am using. But why this is related to the problem of not fetching
the sent emails? This is my full gnus.el:

```
(setq mail-sources `(
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@fcih.net"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl
                          :leave non-nil)
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@aucegypt.edu"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl
                          :leave non-nil)
		                 (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
			                    :user "wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu"
			                    :port 995
			                    :stream ssl
                          :leave non-nil)
		                 (imap :server "mail.uvic.ca"
		       	               :user "wyousef@uvic.ca"
		       	               :port 993
		      	               :stream ssl
                           :mailbox ("inbox" "sent items")
                           :predicate "UPDRAFT"
                           :fetchflag "\\Draft"
			                     )
		                 )
      )

(setq
 gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gnus.org");; for news groups (between quotes, add the newsgroup server)

                       (".*" (Bcc "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net>"))
                        ("Bcc" "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@aucegypt.edu>"))
			                 ((header "to" "wyousef@gwumail.gwu.edu")
                        (From "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu>")
			                  ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 wyousef@gwmail.gwu.edu"))
			                 ((header "to" "wyousef@uvic.ca")
                        (From "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@uvic.ca>")
			                  ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.uvic.ca 587 wyousef@uvic.ca")
                        ("Bcc" "Waleed Yousef <wyousef@uvic.ca"))
			                 ((header "To" "info@mesclabs.com")
                        (From "MESC Labs. <info@mesclabs.com>")
			                  ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp mesclabs.com 465 info@mesclabs.com"))
                       )
 )

(setq
 nnmail-message-id-cache-length 100000
 nnmail-treat-duplicates 'warn
 nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids t
 nnmail-split-fancy '(|
                      (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)
                      (from "\\(.*@github\\.com\\)" "ADS")
                      "mail.misc"
                      )
 gnus-message-archive-group '(
                              (if (not (string-empty-p gnus-newsgroup-name))
                                  (list gnus-newsgroup-name "nnml:MySent")
                                (list "nnml:MySent")
                                ))
 gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t
 )

(setq
 gnus-search-default-engines '((nnml . gnus-search-namazu))
 gnus-search-namazu-index-directory "/home/wyousef/.namazu-mail"
 gnus-search-use-parsed-queries t
 gnus-search-namazu-remove-prefix "/home/wyousef/Mail/"
 )
```

@ 2022-12-17  1:03                                         ` Björn Bidar via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Björn Bidar via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-12-17  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59587, Andreas Schwab, Waleed Yousef

> On 12/09/22 11:12 AM, Waleed Yousef wrote:
>> Ok; thanks so much. I think it works now for the imap except that when I
>> send from Gnus I cannot find the sent mail on the webmail Sent box!!! So
>> the snycing is one-way only.
>
> Are you using Gcc headers? My posting styles look like, eg:
>
> 	("gmane"
> 	 (address "eric@ericabrahamsen.net")
> 	 (gcc "nnimap+Personal:Sent")
> 	 )

Does this work when mail-sources is used with imap?
He doesn't use nnimap so in that Gnus would either need to save to imap
and then sync back or sync the local copy of the imap contents to with
the sent folder that he uses.

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
@ 2022-12-18 17:05                                           ` Waleed Yousef
From: Waleed Yousef @ 2022-12-18 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, Andreas Schwab, 59587

Thanks so much for clarification. In addition to what you have said, I
still have the problem of syncing wit the pop accounts. Gnus does not
recieve what is sent from other devices (as I detailed in the thread)

@ 2024-03-05 16:23 ` Jakub Ječmínek via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Jakub Ječmínek via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-03-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, Björn Bidar, Andreas Schwab, 59587

Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net> writes:

> Thanks so much for clarification. In addition to what you have said, I
> still have the problem of syncing wit the pop accounts. Gnus does not
> recieve what is sent from other devices (as I detailed in the thread)

Hi, this is relatively known behaviour of POP3 on Gmail (just search for
"gmail sent folder pop"). Google also mentions it on their website in
Troubleshooting section (citing it below).

> To avoid duplicates, Gmail doesn't download emails sent within your
> mail client, but you can still see them if you log in to Gmail.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en#zippy=%2Cemails-arent-downloading-correctly

I'm not aware of any workaround (maybe adding yourself to BCC to every
message you send?).

Best

--
Kuba Ječmínek (http://kubajecminek.cz)

* bug#59587: 28.2; gnus does not retrieve emails sent from another device
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-04-01 21:08 ` Jakub Ječmínek via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Jakub Ječmínek via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-04-01 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waleed Yousef
  Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, Björn Bidar, Andreas Schwab, 59587-done

Jakub Ječmínek <kuba@kubajecminek.cz> writes:

> Waleed Yousef <wyousef@fcih.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks so much for clarification. In addition to what you have said, I
>> still have the problem of syncing wit the pop accounts. Gnus does not
>> recieve what is sent from other devices (as I detailed in the thread)
>
> Hi, this is relatively known behaviour of POP3 on Gmail (just search for
> "gmail sent folder pop"). Google also mentions it on their website in
> Troubleshooting section (citing it below).
>
>> To avoid duplicates, Gmail doesn't download emails sent within your
>> mail client, but you can still see them if you log in to Gmail.
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en#zippy=%2Cemails-arent-downloading-correctly
>
> I'm not aware of any workaround (maybe adding yourself to BCC to every
> message you send?).

The discussion has been dormant for a while and also I'm pretty sure
that this report is not related to Gnus so I'm going to close
it. However, if you feel otherwise, please feel free to reopen.

Best

--
Kuba Ječmínek (http://kubajecminek.cz)