Yes, that's a good.idea.  But as I see the code in icomplete-vertical-mode; it relies in a hook (icomplete-vertical-minibuffer-setup) and an advice (icomplete-vertical-format-completions) which in principle we don't need with a very simple modification of icomplete-completions and icomplete-minibuffer-setup. If icomplete-completions produces the formated output it will be more efficient and clean than adding an advice or do a reformat. There are also some customizable options that for a simple working vertical mode we shouldn't need (like icomplete-vertical-separator-alist or a face icomplete-vertical-separator) unless we want to add them now. So in my opinion maybe we can provide the vertical mode in a simpler way just improving icomplete-completions and some other small changes here and there. WDYT? -----Original Message----- From: Dmitry Gutov To: Stefan Monnier ; Ergus Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org Sent: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 9:01 pm Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode On 10.06.2020 19:53, Stefan Monnier wrote: > I think the icomplete-vertical functionality could/should be supported > directly by complete.el. Someone could contact the author of https://github.com/oantolin/icomplete-vertical for copyright assignment (and either incorporate the mode, or just some parts of it), in order not to have to solve the same problems all over again.