all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Command Line Options and Frame Splitting
@ 2008-08-17 16:10 afuchs
       [not found] ` <mailman.17015.1219130660.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: afuchs @ 2008-08-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Group Members,

I use Emacs to work on my Latex files; usually, for every project I
use two of those: my_project.tex and my_project.bib. These and other
pertinent files I usually place in a directory named my_project.
I have an alias, which uses emacs command line options, completing the
name of the current directory with .tex and .bib extensions and
opening an emacs window of a given size at a given position with both
files in it.

What bothers me is that the frame is then split, each file in its own
half of the window. What I'd like to do is to open the .tex file in
the current frame, and the .bib file in another, not shown, accessible
via Ctrl-X B.

Is it possible to do that through command-line? I have not been able
to find a corresponding option in the customization.

Thank you in advance,
Alexey

* Re: Command Line Options and Frame Splitting
@ 2008-08-19  7:24 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.17015.1219130660.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-08-19  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

afuchs wrote:
> Dear Group Members,
>
> I use Emacs to work on my Latex files; usually, for every project I
> use two of those: my_project.tex and my_project.bib. These and other
> pertinent files I usually place in a directory named my_project.
> I have an alias, which uses emacs command line options, completing the
> name of the current directory with .tex and .bib extensions and
> opening an emacs window of a given size at a given position with both
> files in it.
>
> What bothers me is that the frame is then split, each file in its own
> half of the window. What I'd like to do is to open the .tex file in
> the current frame, and the .bib file in another, not shown, accessible
> via Ctrl-X B.
>
> Is it possible to do that through command-line? I have not been able
> to find a corresponding option in the customization.

How about appending this command line option: -f delete-other-windows

or: -f delete-window

depending on which window (.bib or .tex) is selected.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-08-19  7:43   ` afuchs
From: afuchs @ 2008-08-19  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 19 Aug., 09:24, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> afuchs wrote:
> > Dear Group Members,
>
> > I use Emacs to work on my Latex files; usually, for every project I
> > use two of those: my_project.tex and my_project.bib. These and other
> > pertinent files I usually place in a directory named my_project.
> > I have an alias, which uses emacs command line options, completing the
> > name of the current directory with .tex and .bib extensions and
> > opening an emacs window of a given size at a given position with both
> > files in it.
>
> > What bothers me is that the frame is then split, each file in its own
> > half of the window. What I'd like to do is to open the .tex file in
> > the current frame, and the .bib file in another, not shown, accessible
> > via Ctrl-X B.
>
> > Is it possible to do that through command-line? I have not been able
> > to find a corresponding option in the customization.
>
> How about appending this command line option: -f delete-other-windows
>
> or: -f delete-window
>
> depending on which window (.bib or .tex) is selected.
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers
> Denver, Colorado, USA

Thank you very much, Kevin.