all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* From which version of emacs was global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?
@ 2008-04-02 20:29 Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-04-02 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

As the subject says, from which version of emacs was
global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?

I'm trying to clean my .emacs file and I noticed I was setting those two
to true (t) even though they are true by default on my bleeding edge
version I run on my own computers. However, sometimes I have to use
emacs 21.4.1 and I've made monolithic .emacs file for easy maintenance
but if those are true in emacs 21.4.1 as well I will be removing them
from my .emacs file. I tried googling but I just got links that weren't
relevant.

I checked the wiki and it only says those were not on by default on old
versions of emacs but how old, that is what I want to know. :)

Thanks for any replies.

- Eric

* RE: From which version of emacs was global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?
@ 2008-04-02 20:38 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.9893.1207168792.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric Lilja', help-gnu-emacs

> As the subject says, from which version of emacs was
> global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true
> by default?

I believe they are the default starting with Emacs 22.1.

@ 2008-04-02 21:52   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-04-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> As the subject says, from which version of emacs was
>> global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true
>> by default?
>
> I believe they are the default starting with Emacs 22.1.

Actually, font-lock-maximum-decoration has been true by default since
1997.

--
Johan Bockgård

@ 2008-04-03  1:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-04-03  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Lilja wrote:
> As the subject says, from which version of emacs was
> global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?

Don't know about maximum decoration, but:

From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.announce
Subject: Emacs 22.1 released
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:17:24 -0400
To: info-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

GNU Emacs 22.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp
sites at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/ and its mirrors (see
http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html).

The MD5 check-sum is the following:

     6949df37caec2d7a2e0eee3f1b422726  emacs-22.1.tar.gz

Please send any bug reports to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.  You can use the
function M-x report-emacs-bug to do this.

Here are some new features of Emacs 22.  See etc/NEWS for a complete
list.

    - Support for the GTK+ graphical toolkit

    - Drag-and-drop support on X.

    - Support for GNU/Linux systems on S390 and x86-64 machines,
      and for Mac OS X, and for Windows using Cygwin.

    - Full support for images, toolbar, and tooltips on
      MS-Windows, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X builds.

    - Font Lock mode, Auto Compression mode, File Name Shadow
      Mode, and mouse wheel support are enabled by default.

    - Double the maximum size of buffers, up to 256M on 32-bit machines.

    - Links can be followed with `mouse-1', in addition to `mouse-2'.

    - Customizable window fringes.

    - Many user interface tweaks, including the highlighting of
      the selected window's mode line and a distinct minibuffer
      prompt face.

    - Abbrev definitions are read automatically at startup.

    - The Kmacro package for managing keyboard macros.

    - Full graphical user interface to GDB.

    - New modes and packages, including Calc, Grep, TRAMP, URL, IDO,
      CUA, ERC, rcirc, Table, Image-Dired, SES, Ruler, Org, PGG,
      Flymake, Password, Printing, Reveal, wdired, t-mouse,
      longlines, savehist, Conf mode, Python mode, DNS mode, etc.

    - Leim, Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, and the Emacs Lisp Intro
      included.

You can help the FSF as well as yourself by ordering the Emacs Manual
or the Emacs Lisp Manual from the Free Software Foundation.  New
editions for Emacs 22 are being printed soon.  See
http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html.

Executables of gzip, and information about using gzip, can be found at
the URL http://www.gzip.org.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: From which version of emacs was global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-03 10:25 ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-04-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Lilja wrote:
> As the subject says, from which version of emacs was
> global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?
[snip]

Thanks for your replies. I've just checked with the computer that is
running emacs 21.1.4 and it turns out both global-font-lock-mode and
font-lock-maximum-decoration are true by default. I was bit surprised by
this because after reading the replies I was expecting
global-font-lock-mode to be false by default and
font-lock-maximum-decoration to be true by default on that particular
version.
I moved my .emacs to a subdirectory that emacs doesn't look in before
launching emacs and running these tests.
Oh well, it's good news because it means that my .emacs now is two lines
shorter. :)

@ 2008-04-03 10:40   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-03 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lilja; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.04.2008 um 12:25 schrieb Eric Lilja:
> I moved my .emacs to a subdirectory that emacs doesn't look in
> before launching emacs and running these tests.

You should be able to use the command line options --no-init-file or -
q ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

				– Mark Twain

* Re: From which version of emacs was global-font-lock-mode and font-lock-maximum-decoration true by default?
@ 2008-04-03 10:47     ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-04-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 03.04.2008 um 12:25 schrieb Eric Lilja:
>> I moved my .emacs to a subdirectory that emacs doesn't look in before
>> launching emacs and running these tests.
>
> You should be able to use the command line options --no-init-file or -q ...

Doh, I only tried with -Q as I normally use on my own machines when I
want a default environment for emacs but 21.1.4 says that -Q is an
unknown option so I just moved the file. Oh well, it's not like I worked
myself to death. :)
I guess -Q (which I read is a combination of -q and --no-site-file and
--no-splash was added later, thanks.

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete