all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing software on "iThings" without paying for a developer account
@ 2015-06-10  0:31 Chad
From: Chad @ 2015-06-10  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

Apple changed the policy on this earlier this week:

	https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

Because I know that you don't love web references, and because the page is pretty graphics, intensive, I've copied the text below:

> Now everyone can get their app on their Apple device.
> Xcode 7 and Swift now make it easier for everyone to build apps and run them directly on their Apple devices. Simply sign in with your Apple ID, and turn your idea into an app that you can touch on your iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch. Download Xcode 7 beta and try it yourself today. Program membership is not required.

The account is still needed, but the paid account is not.

~Chad

* Installing software on "iThings" without paying for a developer account
@ 2015-06-10  2:07 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2015-06-10  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Chad, emacs-devel

Chad writes:
 > Apple changed the policy on this earlier this week:

[...]

 > The account is still needed, but the paid account is not.

A small victory.  I know you don't consider this a victory at all,
Richard, but I do.  Thank you for keepin' on keepin' on!

Steve

* Re: Installing software on "iThings" without paying for a developer account
@ 2015-06-10  2:11   ` chad
From: chad @ 2015-06-10  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull, emacs-devel; +Cc: Richard Stallman

> On 09 Jun 2015, at 19:07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
>
> Chad writes:
>> Apple changed the policy on this earlier this week:
>
> [...]
>
>> The account is still needed, but the paid account is not.

To be clear, *based on the text*, the account that is needed is the
user account (which is virtually required for the iThing in the
first place), not the developer program account. I haven’t had a
chance to test it myself (I have a developer account that predates
iThings by several years, but not the paid version). Since the
change was just made, Im sure the internet will gain more details
in the next few days.

~Chad

* Re: Installing software on "iThings" without paying for a developer account
@ 2015-06-11  0:43 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-06-11  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chad; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

  > > Now everyone can get their app on their Apple device.
  > > Xcode 7 and Swift now make it easier for everyone to build apps and run them directly on their Apple devices. Simply sign in with your Apple ID, and turn your idea into an app that you can touch on your iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch. Download Xcode 7 beta and try it yourself today. Program membership is not required.
  > >
  > The account is still needed, but the paid account is not.

Does this mean that if a program is released as source code,
anyone with an iThing can install it?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Installing software on "iThings" without paying for a developer account
@ 2015-06-11  7:17   ` chad
From: chad @ 2015-06-11  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On 10 Jun 2015, at 17:43, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>> Now everyone can get their app on their Apple device.
>>> Xcode 7 and Swift now make it easier for everyone to build apps and run them directly on their Apple devices. Simply sign in with your Apple ID, and turn your idea into an app that you can touch on your iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch. Download Xcode 7 beta and try it yourself today. Program membership is not required.
>>>
>> The account is still needed, but the paid account is not.
>
> Does this mean that if a program is released as source code,
> anyone with an iThing can install it?

With the (non-trivial) caveat that theyd have to build it themselves,
yes.

~Chad

* Re: Installing software on "iThings" without paying for a developer account
@ 2015-06-11 18:03     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-06-11 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for the information.  I am very glad to have been informed,
since now I can update our page about that.  However, since this isn't
directly relevant to Emacs, you may as well in the future send such
mail to me rather than emacs-devel.

--
Dr Richard Stallman