all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and vim analogs
@ 2007-02-18 18:19 Clinton Curry
From: Clinton Curry @ 2007-02-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been bouncing back and forth between Vim and Emacs for some time, and
lately I've been trying to reconcile the abilities of one with the other.
Specifically, I'm wondering if there is something in Emacs analogous to the
following Vim capabilities.

1) Omni-completion.  Here, if you're happily typing something and come
across a name, function call, etc, that you have typed before, in Vim you
can press Ctrl+N to see what can go with what you've typed so far.
Moreover, in many cases, it does this intelligently, taking syntax into
account.
2) Redo-last-change.  In Vim, if you make a change, pressing "." will make
the change again.  Is there something analogous in Emacs, aside from
defining a macro?

Thanks!

* Re: Emacs and vim analogs
       [not found] <mailman.4699.1171822764.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-18 19:03 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-02-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Clinton Curry" <clintonc@uab.edu> writes:

> I've been bouncing back and forth between Vim and Emacs for some time, and
> lately I've been trying to reconcile the abilities of one with the other.
> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is something in Emacs analogous to the
> following Vim capabilities.
>
> 1) Omni-completion.  Here, if you're happily typing something and
> come across a name, function call, etc, that you have typed before,
> in Vim you can press Ctrl+N to see what can go with what you've
> typed so far.  Moreover, in many cases, it does this intelligently,
> taking syntax into account.

M-/

> 2) Redo-last-change.  In Vim, if you make a change, pressing "."
> will make the change again.  Is there something analogous in Emacs,
> aside from defining a macro?

Either C-x M-ESC or C-x z, depending on your requirements.

* Re: Emacs and vim analogs
@ 2007-02-18 19:30 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-02-18 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Clinton Curry; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Clinton Curry wrote:
> 2) Redo-last-change.  In Vim, if you make a change, pressing "." will
> make the change again.  Is there something analogous in Emacs, aside
> from defining a macro?

I do not know actually, since I always use Viper in Emacs ;-)

But see the page http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ViAndEmacs

* Re: Emacs and vim analogs
@ 2007-02-18 21:36   ` M G Berberich
From: M G Berberich @ 2007-02-18 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:03:50 +0100, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Clinton Curry" <clintonc@uab.edu> writes:

>> 2) Redo-last-change.  In Vim, if you make a change, pressing "."
>> will make the change again.  Is there something analogous in Emacs,
>> aside from defining a macro?
>
> Either C-x M-ESC or C-x z, depending on your requirements.

You probably mean C-x ESC ESC or C-x M-: . C-x M-ESC simply quits my
emacs. But both are not doing what '.' does in vim. With vims . you
can repeate commands like “replace next three word with …”, “indent 5
lines”, “append … to line” or “replace rest of line with …”
(where … stands for some text). This is not possible with emacs
because there is no implicit grouping of inserted characters, so C-x z
repeats the last character typed, which is completely useless.

While I use the . command in vim frequently, I never ever had any use
for “repeat” or “repeat-complex-command” (I can't even think of a
usefull application for “repeat”).

    MfG
    bmg

--
"Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!"          | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de

* Re: Emacs and vim analogs
@ 2007-03-01 14:46     ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-03-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

M G Berberich wrote:
>>"Clinton Curry" <clintonc@uab.edu> writes:

>>>2) Redo-last-change.  In Vim, if you make a change, pressing "."
>>>will make the change again.  Is there something analogous in Emacs,
>>>aside from defining a macro?
>>
>>Either C-x M-ESC or C-x z, depending on your requirements.
>

> You probably mean C-x ESC ESC or C-x M-: . C-x M-ESC simply quits my
> emacs. But both are not doing what '.' does in vim. With vims . you
> can repeate commands like “replace next three word with …”, “indent 5
> lines”, “append … to line” or “replace rest of line with …”
> (where … stands for some text). This is not possible with emacs
> because there is no implicit grouping of inserted characters, so C-x z
> repeats the last character typed, which is completely useless.

The statement "This is not possible with emacs" is typically false.

Complex commands such as you describe are easily done with keyboard
macros.  There are so useful that I have the start, end, and execute
functions assigned to function keys.

* Re: Emacs and vim analogs
@ 2007-03-01 15:44       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-01 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman wrote:
> M G Berberich wrote:

>> emacs. But both are not doing what '.' does in vim. With vims . you
>> can repeate commands like “replace next three word with …”, “indent 5
>> lines”, “append … to line” or “replace rest of line with …” (where …
>> stands for some text). This is not possible with emacs
>> because there is no implicit grouping of inserted characters, so C-x z
>> repeats the last character typed, which is completely useless.
>
> The statement "This is not possible with emacs" is typically false.
>
> Complex commands such as you describe are easily done with keyboard
> macros.  There are so useful that I have the start, end, and execute
> functions assigned to function keys.

Or you can use Viper mode in Emacs. At least in Emacs 22 (pretest) it is
very good.