all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About `y-or-n-p'
@ 2013-01-07 12:00 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-01-07 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(elisp) Yes-or-No Queries"):
The answers and their meanings, even `y' and `n', are not hardwired, and are specified by the keymap `query-replace-map' (*note Search and Replace::).

What does `hardwired' mean?  I don't understand.  Sorry for my poor English.
--
Best regards.

* Re: About `y-or-n-p'
@ 2013-01-07 12:36 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2013 um 13:00 schrieb Xue Fuqiao:

> What does `hardwired' mean?

It means: cannot be changed or altered (by some internal variable setting or function or new algorithm).

A software programme can be loaded into a RAM or onto a disk. In the RAM, or disk, you can change it with patches or other means. You can also load it on to a CD oder DVD or into a ROM/PROM. These all are read-only devices, although some of them can be one-time written. The programme on these devices is hard-wired, its functions are interconnected with a kind of hardware or real wires as if you had an experimentation board in which you insert (instead of software function blocks) ICs, transistors, resistors, capacitors and "programme" them by soldering wires to the components to make the board (programme) work as something, as some electric or electronic circuit. When you load the software into a CPU's RAM you can re-wire the function blocks any time, because their interconnects are not that "hard".

HTH… (HTH = hope that helps) Or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwired_control#Hardwired_control_unit

--
Greetings

  Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
				- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

* Re: About `y-or-n-p'
@ 2013-01-07 13:15   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-01-07 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 13:36:34 +0100
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> It means: cannot be changed or altered (by some internal variable setting or function or new algorithm).

I see, thanks.
--
Best regards.