all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: "'Chong Yidong'" <cyd@gnu.org>, <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: Loading when viewing docstring of autoloaded function
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 06:07:06 -0700	[thread overview]

> The most annoying aspect is that autoloaded functions often have
> docstrings containing key substitution constructs, which are expanded
> into `M-x FOO' because the relevant keymaps are not yet defined.  I'd
> like to suggest a simple workaround: if an autoloaded
> function contains key substitution constructs, just outright load
> the library where it was defined.  There's not much point in being
> conservative about loading libraries, since it is so fast nowadays.
>  See attached patch.
>
> Opinions?

Let the user decide.  Add a user option.  Make your new behavior the default, if
you like.  But give users an easy way to choose not to load stuff just for doc
strings.  The code change is trivial - it costs nothing to give users a say.

> Alternatively, we could introduce a full-blown solution by
> adding a new docstring substitution construct to invoke library

That gives developers a choice, for the individual string.  Dunno whether that
is needed (no, a priori).

But give users the choice - they are the ones enjoying/suffering the
consequences.