all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired-sort-menu fails
@ 2014-09-29 22:00 Zeitlinie
From: Zeitlinie @ 2014-09-29 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

trying to sort directory listings in a dired+ buffer using
dired-sort-menu fails in multiple ways for me:

1) while the doc states that the ‘dired-sort-menu’ popup menu would be
bound to S-mouse-2, for me S-mouse-2 will always open the file under the
cursor in the dired listing and no popup menu shows up.

2) When invoking the dired-sort-dialog with 'M-x dired-sort-dialog' I do
get a an emacs widget library window, which allows me to request for
various sorting options via mouse clicks, but for all of such requests
the listing of the (hopefully?) sorted directories will not display,
instead it fails with:

insert-directory: Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked

upon which the dired buffer window turns empty

3) After playing around for some time I found out, that I can actually
get a popup menu to show up on S-mouse-2, however only if I open a
sorting dialog widget window at least once using 'M-x dired-sort-dialog'
before trying to use S-mouse-2

Any help, in particular on point 2) would be most appreciated

Mark

I'm running:
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 on linux
latest dired+ from elpa Version: 20140528.1926
latest dired-sort-menu+ from elpa Version: 20131226.1833