all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-17 17:37 Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have F4 being shortcut for the compile command:

(global-set-key [f4]          'compile)

But I have to type the tag I am looking for after pressing F4.

Is there a way to highlight the symbol in the code and have a shortcut that does the compilation right away?

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-17 19:47 ` Dan Espen
       [not found] ` <mailman.24297.1366291667.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-04-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> I have F4 being shortcut for the compile command:
>
> (global-set-key [f4]          'compile)
>
> But I have to type the tag I am looking for after pressing F4.
>
> Is there a way to highlight the symbol in the code and have a shortcut
> that does the compilation right away?

Huh?

The most logical compile command is "make".

If you need more elaborate commands, or don't want to use a Makefile,
put lines like this in your source file:

# Local Variables:
# compile-command: "./s1.py stock.data"
# End:

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-18 13:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.24297.1366291667.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-04-18 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/17/13 11:37 AM, Rami A wrote:
> I have F4 being shortcut for the compile command:
>
> (global-set-key [f4]          'compile)
>
> But I have to type the tag I am looking for after pressing F4.
>
> Is there a way to highlight the symbol in the code and have a shortcut that does the compilation right away?

`C-h f compile' explains:

| (compile COMMAND &optional COMINT)
|
| Compile the program including the current buffer.  Default: run `make'.
| Runs COMMAND, a shell command, in a separate process asynchronously
| with output going to the buffer `*compilation*'.
|
| You can then use the command C-x ` to find the next error message
| and move to the source code that caused it.
|
| If optional second arg COMINT is t the buffer will be in Comint mode with
| `compilation-shell-minor-mode'.
|
| Interactively, prompts for the command if `compilation-read-command' is
| non-nil; otherwise uses `compile-command'.  With prefix arg, always prompts.
| Additionally, with universal prefix arg, compilation buffer will be in
| comint mode, i.e. interactive.

So:

(defun compile-target-at-point ()
   "Run \"make\" with the symbol at point as the target, via `compile'."
   (interactive)
   (compile (format "make %s" (or (symbol-at-point)
				 (error "No target at point")))))

(global-set-key [f4] 'compile-symbol-at-point)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2013-04-19 20:46   ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-19 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin, Dan,
Thanks for the information.
I am afraid my description of the problem was not clear.

So I have F4 configured as to do compile.
(global-set-key [f4]          'compile)

And I am setting the default compile command to be gid.
(setq compile-command "gid ")

I am using mkid to create IDs for all variables, structures and functions.

So now when I want to search for something I would hit F4 and then I see this in the command line:
compile command: gid

Then I can insert what I want to search for in the source code right after gid.

What I would like to achieve is a way to highlight the thing I want to search for in the source code, hit F4 or something and have it apply "compile command: gid " on the highlighted text.

I hope this makes it more clear.

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 21:07     ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-04-19 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Kevin, Dan,
> Thanks for the information.
> I am afraid my description of the problem was not clear.
>
> So I have F4 configured as to do compile.
> (global-set-key [f4]          'compile)
>
> And I am setting the default compile command to be gid.
> (setq compile-command "gid ")
>
> I am using mkid to create IDs for all variables, structures and functions.
>
> So now when I want to search for something I would hit F4 and then I see this in the command line:
> compile command: gid
>
> Then I can insert what I want to search for in the source code right after gid.
>
> What I would like to achieve is a way to highlight the thing I want to
> search for in the source code, hit F4 or something and have it apply
> "compile command: gid " on the highlighted text.
>
> I hope this makes it more clear.

I'm not familiar with mkid/gid.el

Reading the instructions, it looks like they want you to type

M-x gid

not M-x compile

so try:

 (global-set-key [f4]          'gid)

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 21:19       ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-19 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nops.
I believe they really want M-x compile
then gid.
because if I program F4 to be gid directly like you suggested, I get:

Symbol's function definition is void: gid

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 21:29         ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-04-19 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Nops.
> I believe they really want M-x compile
> then gid.
> because if I program F4 to be gid directly like you suggested, I get:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: gid

Sounds like you don't have gid.el installed.

Did you follow these instructions:

http://www.juanrubio.me/2013/03/howto-source-code-browsing-using-gnu-id-and-emacs/

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 21:47           ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-19 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan,
I agree, I have not installed gid.el.
Basically I am trying to keep my emacs configs limited to the dotemacs file I have without any .el packages.

I am sure there is a way to identify the "highlighted" text and apply commands and options on it as a variable.
I am hoping for a solution of that nature.

Thank you for your continuous follow up.

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 22:12             ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-04-19 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Dan,
> I agree, I have not installed gid.el.
> Basically I am trying to keep my emacs configs limited to the dotemacs file I have without any .el packages.
>
> I am sure there is a way to identify the "highlighted" text and apply commands and options on it as a variable.
> I am hoping for a solution of that nature.
>
> Thank you for your continuous follow up.

Try using grep instead of compile.

(global-set-key [f4]          'grep)

Then put the cursor on a word and hit C-u F4

I think a function or lambda is needed to automatically supply the C-u.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 22:24               ` Rami A
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.24358.1366430691.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-19 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan,
I tried grep as you suggested and it did actually work.
However, it is not as usable as gid.
When using grep the results are shown as a non-interactive buffer.
When using gid and mkid method I get a buffer with all results, files the token is found in and line numbers. More, I can click on each results and it will take me to that file and line directly.

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 23:25               ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-19 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan,
I was actually able to copy/paste the whole gid.el code into my dotemacs file.
It did actually work :)
It figures out the pattern the cursor is at and applies the compile gid command on it.

The only this I am still trying to solve is skipping the confirmation question so I don't have to press RET every time I search for a symbol.

So now when I press F4 I get:
Run gid (with args): PATERN

I need to confirm.

Do you know of a way I could skip the confirmation?

This is the code I copied:

;;;; gid.el -- run gid using compilation mode.

(require 'compile)
;;(require 'elisp-utils)
(provide 'gid)

(defvar gid-command "gid" "The command run by the gid function.")

(defun gid (args)
  "Run gid, with user-specified ARGS, and collect output in a buffer.
While gid runs asynchronously, you can use the \\[next-error] command to
find the text that gid hits refer to. The command actually run is
defined by the gid-command variable."
  (interactive (list (read-input
     (concat "Run " gid-command " (with args): ") (word-around-point))))
    ;; Preserve the present compile-command
  (let (compile-command
(compilation-buffer-name-function
(lambda (mode) (concat "*gid " args "*"))))
    ;; For portability between v18 & v19, use compile rather than compile-internal
    (compile (concat gid-command " " args))))

(defun word-around-point ()
  "Return the word around the point as a string."
  (save-excursion
    (if (not (eobp))
(forward-char 1))
    (forward-word -1)
    (forward-word 1)
    (forward-sexp -1)
    (let ((beg (point)))
      (forward-sexp 1)
      (buffer-substring beg (point)))))

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 23:49                 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-04-19 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Dan,
> I was actually able to copy/paste the whole gid.el code into my dotemacs file.
> It did actually work :)
> It figures out the pattern the cursor is at and applies the compile gid command on it.
>
> The only this I am still trying to solve is skipping the confirmation question so I don't have to press RET every time I search for a symbol.
>
> So now when I press F4 I get:
> Run gid (with args): PATERN
>
> I need to confirm.
>
> Do you know of a way I could skip the confirmation?
>
> This is the code I copied:
>
> ;;;; gid.el -- run gid using compilation mode.
>
> (require 'compile)
> ;;(require 'elisp-utils)
> (provide 'gid)
>
> (defvar gid-command "gid" "The command run by the gid function.")
>
> (defun gid (args)
>   "Run gid, with user-specified ARGS, and collect output in a buffer.
> While gid runs asynchronously, you can use the \\[next-error] command to
> find the text that gid hits refer to. The command actually run is
> defined by the gid-command variable."
>   (interactive (list (read-input
>      (concat "Run " gid-command " (with args): ") (word-around-point))))
>     ;; Preserve the present compile-command
>   (let (compile-command
> (compilation-buffer-name-function
> (lambda (mode) (concat "*gid " args "*"))))
>     ;; For portability between v18 & v19, use compile rather than compile-internal
>     (compile (concat gid-command " " args))))
       ^^^^^^^
I think the prompt you are getting that you don't like is here.

If you set compilation-read-command to nil it should compile without a prompt.

As far as using M-x grep, you need to execute a command that outputs a
message with filename and line number in a specific format.  In the case of grep,
you need to either give it multiple files or use the -nH flags or just
-n with multiple files.

gid might have similar options.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-19 23:55                   ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-19 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan,
I am very new to emacs and lisp.
Could you please explain more what I need to do?

I don't see compilation-read-command in the gid.el code.

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-20  0:10                     ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-04-20  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Dan,
> I am very new to emacs and lisp.
> Could you please explain more what I need to do?
>
> I don't see compilation-read-command in the gid.el code.

I'm not very good at writing lisp either.

Try putting this in the scratch buffer:

(setq compilation-read-command nil)

and evaluate it by putting the pointer at the end
and typing ^x^e.

If that works, put that in your .emacs file.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-20  1:44                       ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-20  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried :
(setq compilation-read-command nil)

in my dotemacs file but it did not help.
For fun, I also tried adding:
(setq compile-command nil)

Did not help either.

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-20  4:04                 ` Bob Proulx
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.24358.1366430691.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-04-20  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A wrote:
> I tried grep as you suggested and it did actually work.
> However, it is not as usable as gid.
> When using grep the results are shown as a non-interactive buffer.

Well...  It is grep, not gid.

> When using gid and mkid method I get a buffer with all results,
> files the token is found in and line numbers. More, I can click on
> each results and it will take me to that file and line directly.

I am seeing some strange things in this thread.  Let me comment.

  Rami> Symbol's function definition is void: gid
  Dan> Sounds like you don't have gid.el installed.
  Rami> I agree, I have not installed gid.el.

That seems like a problem.  In order to use it you must install it.
You talked as if you had installed it.  You talked about binding it to
a function key.  We would assume that you had loaded it.

Dan really tried hard to help at that point.  Since you didn't want to
use gid he offered an alternative.  He suggested C-u M-x grep.  Giving
grep an argument has it pre-fill in the word at that point.  I would
also point out M-x lgrep is similar but slightly different.  The lgrep
command prompts separately for the pattern to search for and the files
to search for and tries to be intelligent about defaulting to the
things you would want in the context called.  Try lgrep.

But then after telling us yesterday that you didn't want to load gid
today you are back talking about how good it is.  If you want to use
gid then you *must* load it.  There is no alternative.  The bits will
not magically appear.  If you want to use it then you must load it.

And then there is Kevin Rodgers who yesterday made a great suggestion
and the voluteer of some lisp code to do what you wanted.  I think you
didn't see it.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-04/msg00374.html

That code grabs the word at the point just as you asked for and then
calls the compile command.  It seems to me that it wouild be perfect.
(It would be nice if it used that word as the default and prompted
like C-u M-x grep does.  But I it was a nice gift as it is.)

Bob

@ 2013-04-20  4:36                   ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-20  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Bob,
Thanks for taking the time responding to me thread.
Please see inline.

> > I tried grep as you suggested and it did actually work.
>
> > However, it is not as usable as gid.
>
> > When using grep the results are shown as a non-interactive buffer.
>

> Well...  It is grep, not gid.
Sure. I was pointing out why I am leaning towards using gid.

> > When using gid and mkid method I get a buffer with all results,
>
> > files the token is found in and line numbers. More, I can click on
>
> > each results and it will take me to that file and line directly.
>

> I am seeing some strange things in this thread.  Let me comment.
>

>   Rami> Symbol's function definition is void: gid
>
>   Dan> Sounds like you don't have gid.el installed.
>
>   Rami> I agree, I have not installed gid.el.
>

> That seems like a problem.  In order to use it you must install it.
>
> You talked as if you had installed it.  You talked about binding it to
>
> a function key.  We would assume that you had loaded it.
I disagree. I don't think I was talking as if I installed it.
All I did have in my dotemacs are the following lines:
(global-set-key [f4]        'compile)
(setq compile-command "gid ")

So when pressing F4 I would be able to type the tag I am looking for and it will compile and show me the results. "Of course after I have build the ID file using mkid".
I am not sure if my unix environment somehow grabbed gid.el
But I have no other subfolders that contain any *.el packages.
My intention was to always have everything self contained in the dotemacs file.

> Dan really tried hard to help at that point.
And I truly appreciate his help :)
>Since you didn't want to
>
> use gid he offered an alternative.  He suggested C-u M-x grep.  Giving
>
> grep an argument has it pre-fill in the word at that point.  I would
>
> also point out M-x lgrep is similar but slightly different.  The lgrep
>
> command prompts separately for the pattern to search for and the files
>
> to search for and tries to be intelligent about defaulting to the
>
> things you would want in the context called.  Try lgrep.
Will try it and study more about it.

> But then after telling us yesterday that you didn't want to load gid
It was not about "loading gid" but more of including all the bits and pieces needed in my dotemacs file and not use a secondary set of files "*.el"

> today you are back talking about how good it is.  If you want to use
>
> gid then you *must* load it.

Again I am very new to lisp and not sure how in the world it is been loaded.

>There is no alternative.  The bits will
>
> not magically appear.  If you want to use it then you must load it.

But quiet honestly. I don't think there is anything to load for what I am asking for to work.
If you added the lined I mentioned in your dotemacs file and executed "mkid" in the top level of the source code, you will be able to gid for these tokens you are searching for.

> And then there is Kevin Rodgers who yesterday made a great suggestion
>
> and the voluteer of some lisp code to do what you wanted.  I think you
>
> didn't see it.
>

>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-04/msg00374.html
>

> That code grabs the word at the point just as you asked for and then
>
> calls the compile command.  It seems to me that it wouild be perfect.
>
> (It would be nice if it used that word as the default and prompted
>
> like C-u M-x grep does.  But I it was a nice gift as it is.)
>

> Bob

I actually finally figured it out after staying late at work on a Friday night :/

In the code that I grabbed from gid.el and included in my dotemacs, I only changed the following line:

  (interactive (list (word-around-point)))

Now all works as intended.
I now have:
(global-set-key [f4]        'gid)

Now when pressing F4, it will search for the token that the cursor is pointing at, without the need for confirmation.

* Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
@ 2013-04-20  5:10                     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-04-20  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A wrote:
> It was not about "loading gid" but more of including all the bits
> and pieces needed in my dotemacs file and not use a secondary set of
> files "*.el"

I see by another recent posting that you have simply included
everything in your .emacs.  That can get unwieldy.  But if it works
for you then that is fine.

> Again I am very new to lisp and not sure how in the world it is been loaded.

Emacs will ship with many lisp libraries in the core distribution.
Additional libs can be loaded from the .emacs and you can put them
anywhere you want to load them from.  I always have a ~/emacs dir with
various tidbits there.

> But quiet honestly. I don't think there is anything to load for what
> I am asking for to work.  If you added the lined I mentioned in your
> dotemacs file and executed "mkid" in the top level of the source
> code, you will be able to gid for these tokens you are searching
> for.

Well... *I* wouldn't be able to.  I don't have mkid nor gid installed
on my system.  So they would not be found unless I installed them.  :-)

> I actually finally figured it out after staying late at work on a
> Friday night :/
>
> In the code that I grabbed from gid.el and included in my dotemacs,
> I only changed the following line:
>
>   (interactive (list (word-around-point)))
>
> Now all works as intended.
> I now have:
> (global-set-key [f4]        'gid)
>
> Now when pressing F4, it will search for the token that the cursor
> is pointing at, without the need for confirmation.

I am glad to hear that you have it worked out for you!

Bob