all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Customize buffer: how to show values of unchanged options on Emacs 24.1?
@ 2012-07-27  0:44 Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2012-07-27  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 From the "GNU Emacs NEWS" on GNU Emacs 24.1:

 > *** Custom options now start out hidden if at their default values.
 > Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle visibility.

Is there a way to revert to the old behaviour, e.g. to always show the
values of  options, no matter whether they have been customized or not?

Thanks.

* Re: Customize buffer: how to show values of unchanged options on Emacs   24.1?
@ 2012-07-27  1:08 ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2012-07-27  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think I have tried every seemingly related option in the Custom
customization group and relative subgroups.

* RE: Customize buffer: how to show values of unchanged options on Emacs24.1?
@ 2012-07-27  3:53 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-27  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Raffaele Ricciardi', help-gnu-emacs

>  From the "GNU Emacs NEWS" on GNU Emacs 24.1:
>
>  > *** Custom options now start out hidden if at their default values.
>  > Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle visibility.
>
> Is there a way to revert to the old behaviour, e.g. to always
> show the values of  options, no matter whether they have been
> customized or not?
>
> I think I have tried every seemingly related option in the Custom
> customization group and relative subgroups.

Actually, I see that NEWS item, but I do not think I see that behavior, IIUC.
In emacs -Q, for instance, if I do `M-x customize-option auto-coding-alist', I
see the full standard (uncustomized) value immediately.  (I'm using MS Windows,
in case that makes a difference.)

At any rate, if some Customize behavior does not seem right to you, or if it
does not seem understandable or correctly documented, then consider filing a bug
report or an enhancement request.  You can do either of those things using `M-x
report-emacs-bug'.

Perhaps see also bugs #11655 and #12065, which likewise have to do with
hiding/showing information in Customize.

* RE: Customize buffer: how to show values of unchanged options on Emacs24.1?
@ 2012-07-27  9:32     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Raffaele Ricciardi'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Actually, I see that NEWS item, but I do not think I see
> > that behavior, IIUC.  In emacs -Q, for instance, if I do
> > `M-x customize-option auto-coding-alist', I
> > see the full standard (uncustomized) value immediately.
> > (I'm using MS Windows, in case that makes a difference.)
>
> Thank you for looking into this.
>
> You are right, with M-x customize-option such behaviour does
> not happen.  Try customize-group, please.

So that NEWS item is partly incorrect, and misleading.  What is described does
not happen in general when customizing options, but only in a particular case.

You might want to report that (doc) bug also.

@ 2012-07-27  9:51   ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2012-07-27  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 07/27/2012 04:53 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
> Actually, I see that NEWS item, but I do not think I see that behavior, IIUC.
> In emacs -Q, for instance, if I do `M-x customize-option auto-coding-alist', I
> see the full standard (uncustomized) value immediately.  (I'm using MS Windows,
> in case that makes a difference.)

Thank you for looking into this.

You are right, with M-x customize-option such behaviour does not happen.
  Try customize-group, please.

> At any rate, if some Customize behavior does not seem right to you, or if it
> does not seem understandable or correctly documented, then consider filing a bug
> report or an enhancement request.  You can do either of those things using `M-x
> report-emacs-bug'.

I'm going to.

Cheers.