all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* List-style Paragrah Reordering
@ 2013-06-11 23:27 Laemeur
       [not found] ` <mailman.1468.1371025273.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Laemeur @ 2013-06-11 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Org-mode, reordering items in a list is a piece of cake with the Meta-Shift-up/down binding: the current list item swaps places with the item above or below, and point keeps its position relative to the current line. I would like to be able to do this with paragraphs/lines of text as well, but Meta-Shift-up/down only works this way on tables, lists, and headings by default.

I would really appreciate any help in configuring Emacs to do this. Hopefully it's a relatively simple thing to do.

Thanks very kindly,
-L

* Re: List-style Paragrah Reordering
@ 2013-06-12  8:21 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.1468.1371025273.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-06-12  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laemeur; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Laemeur <laemeur@gmail.com> writes:

> In Org-mode, reordering items in a list is a piece of cake with the
> Meta-Shift-up/down binding: the current list item swaps places with
> the item above or below, and point keeps its position relative to the
> current line. I would like to be able to do this with paragraphs/lines
> of text as well, but Meta-Shift-up/down only works this way on tables,
> lists, and headings by default.

The specific command for paragraphs is

    M-x org-drag-element-forward
    M-x org-drag-element-backward

They can be invoked with

      M-up
      M-down

The specific command for lines is

    M-x org-drag-line-forward
    M-x org-drag-line-backward

This can be invoked with

   S-M-down
   S-M-up

@ 2013-06-13  1:34   ` laemeur
From: laemeur @ 2013-06-13  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haha. It looks like I should have spent a bit more time with the documentation, doesn't it?

Thanks a mint, Jambunathan K. I really appreciate it.

-L