all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: thesaurus
       [not found] <slrndrbdvj.9tn.mitticus@desy.hadron.quark2>
@ 2005-12-30 22:51 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-12-30 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

    What thesaurus solution do you recommend for english language in
    emacs? The mthesaur solution is ridiculously slow for me and I have no
    idea how to speed it up.

I just wrote synonyms.el, which I recommend that you at least try. I started
from code in mthesaur.el, so I don't guarantee this is faster, but give it a
try. I don't notice any speed problems, even when I use a pretty general
regexp (e.g. "ava.*e") for the search, but YMMV.

You can get it here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/synonyms.el. The
doc is here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Synonyms. Feedback
welcome.

HTH - Drew

@ 2005-12-31  2:14 ` roodwriter
       [not found]   ` <41m87kF1fho2jU1@individual.net>
From: roodwriter @ 2005-12-31  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> writes:

> What thesaurus solution do you recommend for english language in
> emacs? The mthesaur solution is ridiculously slow for me and I have no
> idea how to speed it up.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
> Snow White's dwarfs become gnomes
>  -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4349726.stm
> The world has gone mad.

I couldn't get the mthesaur add-on to work for me either. Instead I just made a macro to copy the word and then search for it in the Roget's Thesaurus.

For what it's worth.

--Rod
______________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

* Re: thesaurus
       [not found]   ` <41m87kF1fho2jU1@individual.net>
@ 2005-12-31  9:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-31  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
> Date: 31 Dec 2005 02:20:36 GMT
>
> I have no idea how you would do this for all users : anyone? A global .emacs

Either put the file in site-lisp (which is already on everybody's
load-path), or create/modify the file default.el, which is that
``global .emacs file'' you were thinking about.  default.el is
described in the Emacs manual, see the node "Init File" there.

Personally, I think the first solution is cleaner.  But that's just
me.

@ 2005-12-31 19:51 ` batkins57
       [not found]   ` <41q8vgF1fcn97U1@individual.net>
From: batkins57 @ 2005-12-31 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use

(defun dict (word)
  (interactive "sWord: ")
  (split-window-vertically)
  (other-window 1)
  (browse-url (concat "http://www.answers.com/" word)))

M-x dict RET nice RET

:)

Walter Mitty wrote:
> What thesaurus solution do you recommend for english language in
> emacs? The mthesaur solution is ridiculously slow for me and I have no
> idea how to speed it up.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
> Snow White's dwarfs become gnomes
>  -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4349726.stm
> The world has gone mad.

* Re: thesaurus
       [not found]   ` <41q8vgF1fcn97U1@individual.net>
@ 2006-01-01 16:20     ` bosy
From: bosy @ 2006-01-01 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

good ad good

* Re: thesaurus
       [not found]   ` <41q8vgF1fcn97U1@individual.net>
@ 2006-01-01 16:21     ` bosy
From: bosy @ 2006-01-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

good and good

* Re: thesaurus
@ 2006-01-01 16:22   ` bosy
       [not found]   ` <41q8vgF1fcn97U1@individual.net>
From: bosy @ 2006-01-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

good and good

* Re: thesaurus
       [not found]   ` <41m87kF1fho2jU1@individual.net>
@ 2006-01-01 16:23   ` bosy
From: bosy @ 2006-01-01 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

good and good

* Re: thesaurus
       [not found]   ` <41q8vgF1fcn97U1@individual.net>
@ 2006-01-02  0:31     ` batkins57
From: batkins57 @ 2006-01-02  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Walter Mitty wrote:
> "batkins57@gmail.com" risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
>  mommies computer when he ventured forth on 2005-12-31, commmitted
>  his life to the whims of Google,  and spluttered:
>
> > I use
> >
> > (defun dict (word)
> >   (interactive "sWord: ")
> >   (split-window-vertically)
> >   (other-window 1)
> >   (browse-url (concat "http://www.answers.com/" word)))
> >
> > M-x dict RET nice RET
> >
> >:)
> >

> Interesting, thanks. Why do you split the window? Does you rbrowser
> come up embedded? I use firefox and it launches a seperate instance

I use w3m, which is a browser built into Emacs.  Normally it takes up
the whole window.

* RE: thesaurus
@ 2006-01-04 16:37 Rancier, Jeff
From: Rancier, Jeff @ 2006-01-04 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's the ticket.

Thanks,
-jbr

* Re: thesaurus
       [not found] <mailman.20920.1135983201.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-12  0:05 ` Nikos Apostolakis
From: Nikos Apostolakis @ 2006-01-12  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can get it here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/synonyms.el. The
> doc is here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Synonyms. Feedback
> welcome.

First two trivial typos.  In the comments of the file synonyms.el it
reads:

;;    (setq synonyms-cach-file <where you want a cache to be created>)
;;    (require 'thesaurus)

I believe that ``thesaurus'' in the second line should be changed to
synonyms.  Also the variable name is misspelled in the first line.

I cannot make this file work.  When I give (for example)

    M-x synonyms RET buffer RET

I get

    Looking up  synonyms for "buffer"...
    Recognizing tables...done
    synonyms-read-synonyms-from-cache: End of file during parsing

After that every time I try to invoke ``synonyms'' I get:

    Looking up  synonyms for "but"...
    synonyms-format-entry: Args out of range: 0, 10

where the numbers is the position of point.

M-x version, gives:

    GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
    bars) of 2005-12-21 on pacem, modified by Debian

--
- nea

* RE: thesaurus
@ 2006-01-12  0:25   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-01-12  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    First two trivial typos.  In the comments of the file synonyms.el it
    reads:

    ;;    (setq synonyms-cach-file <where you want a cache to be created>)
    ;;    (require 'thesaurus)

    I believe that ``thesaurus'' in the second line should be changed to
    synonyms.  Also the variable name is misspelled in the first line.

The cach- typo was corrected to cache- some time ago. Thanks for the second
typo (I called the library "thesaurus.el" in a preliminary version, and
never corrected the Commentary).

    I cannot make this file work.  When I give (for example)
        M-x synonyms RET buffer RET
    I get
        Looking up  synonyms for "buffer"...
        Recognizing tables...done
        synonyms-read-synonyms-from-cache: End of file during parsing
    After that every time I try to invoke ``synonyms'' I get:
        Looking up  synonyms for "but"...
        synonyms-format-entry: Args out of range: 0, 10
    where the numbers is the position of point.
    M-x version, gives:
        GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
        bars) of 2005-12-21 on pacem, modified by Debian

1. Download the latest version. You don't say what update number (or date)
of synonyms.el you have, but there was one day when I uploaded the file with
an error that gave args out of range (but not end of file for the cache).
Maybe you picked up that bugged version. Also, what platform (OS) are you
using?

2. I don't recognize the message "Recognizing tables...done". It doesn't
come from synonyms.el, I believe.

3. Remove your synonyms cache file, so the new version will recreate it.

4. Email me off list if you have a problem with the latest version.

Thx.