all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: ANN: Emacs.app 9.0-pre1
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:53:32 -0500	[thread overview]

On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:52 PM, Sun Yijiang wrote:

> Thank you Adrian.  This is my env, generally speaking, it's Gentoo
> 2005.1 with gcc 3.4.4 and gnustep from `ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
> emerge gnustep-env'.
>

> # emerge -s gnustep
> *  gnustep-base/gnustep-back-art
>       Latest version installed: 0.9.6-r1

Should be OK.

> I googled for a while after that reply, and found the same
> suggestion as you gave.  It works for compiling *.m to *.o, but
> there're still error messages when gcc links *.o to `temacs', all
> are "undefined reference to whatwhatwhat".  I added `-lobjc' to the
> gcc link command line, some errors gone, but still many like
> "undefined reference to NSxxx" and "undefined reference to
> __objc_class_name_NSxxx".  I searched the GNUStep directory, found
> no *.a but only *.so.  I'm stuck here.

OK, I'd forgotten that -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString
should have been set up in the Makefile already.  (That's why it
wasn't needed in the config anymore.)  Take a look at src/Makefile.in
and search for 'GNUSTEP'.  If the .m.o rule there wasn't making it
into your actual Makefile, or was being ignored for some reason,
that's the source of that problem.  The linking issue could be
related, because those flags are also keyed off of #ifdef GNUSTEP, in
src/Makefile.in and src/config.h.

I'm not sure what's happening in your case, but for the heck of it,
you could try adding '-DGNUSTEP' to the CFLAGS in nextstep/compile --
maybe there's something different on your system regarding how CFLAGS
and CPPFLAGS are processed.

(I'm more than open to suggestions for improving any of this, if you
can find something that works on your setup..)

thanks,
Adrian