all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make reverse video the default behavior under Windows
@ 2002-10-01 20:00 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-10-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs Help (E-mail)

I love to use Emacs in the reverse-video mode.  It makes it much easier for
me to see the Emacs display with my failing vision.
I do have one problem though.  The only way I know to get Emacs to start in
this mode is to run it from the command line using the --reverse-video
command line switch (or one of the various other command line switches that
cause Emacs to start in this mode).  This is fine except for when Emacs is
launched via the VisEmacs Visual Studio add in.

I cannot figure out how to make Emacs go into reverse-video mode by default.
Is it possible to do this from my .emacs file or via an environment
variable?  If it is not possible, how can I add this capability to Emacs?

Thank you.

[parent not found: <mailman.1033503318.27966.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* RE: How to make reverse video the default behavior under Windows
@ 2002-10-02 12:52 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-10-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs Help (E-mail)

As I said in my earlier reply, I had already tried adding

	(setq inverse-video t)

and

	(setq default-frame-alist
	      (cons (cons 'reverse t) default-frame-alist))

to my .emacs and neither one works.

However, your mention of the
  emacs.reverseVideo:true
line in .Xdefaults in conjunction with a suggestion given
in a message by Juanma Barranquero [lektu@terra.es]

 "
 You can always manually set the foreground color to
 white (or light grey) and the background to black in
 the registry.

 In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Gnu\Emacs I have values:

 Emacs.Background = "black"
 Emacs.Foreground = "light grey"
 "

lead me to the solution to my problem.

I added a REG_SZ value "emacs.reverseVideo" to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs and set it
equal to "true".

This worked perfectly.

I would like to thank you both.

> I love to use Emacs in the reverse-video mode.  It makes it much easier
for
> me to see the Emacs display with my failing vision.
> I do have one problem though.  The only way I know to get Emacs to start
in
> this mode is to run it from the command line using the --reverse-video
> command line switch (or one of the various other command line switches
that
> cause Emacs to start in this mode).  This is fine except for when Emacs is
> launched via the VisEmacs Visual Studio add in.
>
> I cannot figure out how to make Emacs go into reverse-video mode by
default.
> Is it possible to do this from my .emacs file or via an environment
> variable?  If it is not possible, how can I add this capability to Emacs?

The "Display Vars" node of the manual suggests putting
	(setq inverse-video t)
in your .emacs file.

The "Colors X" node suggests putting
	emacs.reverseVideo:true
in your .Xdefaults or .Xresources file, although I suspect Windows has some
other mechanism (the registry?).

Finally, startup.el and x-win.el indicate that the --reverse-video option
simply
does this: