all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp. bash aliases
@ 2010-04-01 12:23 Pawel p
From: Pawel p @ 2010-04-01 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Group Members.

Is it possible to create aliases in the way to be applied to each bash
session issued by tramp, just like it is done for environment variables and
tramp-remote-process-environment?

best regards.

* Re: tramp. bash aliases
@ 2010-04-01 15:02 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-01 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawel p; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.04.2010 um 14:23 schrieb Pawel p:

> Is it possible to create aliases in the way to be applied to each bash
> session issued by tramp, just like it is done for environment
> variables and
> tramp-remote-process-environment?

Do you mean something like ~/.emacs_bash? This file, if it exists, is
executed when you start a shell in *shell* buffer. (Similarly RC files
exist for bash when you have a non-login non-interactive bash
session...)

Doesn't f1-f2 invoke the unix-manual command to read more of the
details? In the Emacs info file you'll find descriptions about the
initialisation of *shell* and similar buffers.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Real Time, adj.:
	Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and
then.

* Re: tramp. bash aliases
@ 2010-04-01 18:33   ` Pawel
From: Pawel @ 2010-04-01 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you mean something like ~/.emacs_bash? This file, if it exists, is executed when you
> start a shell in *shell* buffer. (Similarly RC files  exist for bash when you have a
> non-login non-interactive bash  session...)

No. I mean "alias", for example my_ls='ls -l' that will be configured in
my local ~/.emacs and when I do M-x shell on remote machine, this alias
is able to be invoked on behalf of remote machine. Thus, only one configuration
on local site for many remote hosts.

best regards,
Pawel

* Re: tramp. bash aliases
@ 2010-04-01 20:17     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-01 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.04.2010 um 20:33 schrieb Pawel:

> No. I mean "alias", for example my_ls='ls -l' that will be
> configured in
> my local ~/.emacs and when I do M-x shell on remote machine, this
> alias
> is able to be invoked on behalf of remote machine. Thus, only one
> configuration
> on local site for many remote hosts.

Use NFS, AFS, Samba... One set of files on many (,many) hosts.

--
Greetings

   Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: tramp. bash aliases
@ 2010-04-01 20:28       ` Pawel
From: Pawel @ 2010-04-01 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Use NFS, AFS, Samba... One set of files on many (,many) hosts.

It is not so easy for me, because there are really a lots of hosts to
handle, thus idea to have it configured in one place on local site would
be a great benefit in this case.

best regards!