all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* outline: how to hide the subheadings?
@ 2009-08-10 11:41 JackPhil
From: JackPhil @ 2009-08-10 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If a heading have subheadings,the subheadings will always be shown. I
want them to be hidden, not only the body of subheadings. How TO?

* Re: outline: how to hide the subheadings?
@ 2009-08-10 14:29 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-10 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 10, 4:41 am, JackPhil <jack.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a heading have subheadings,the subheadings will always be shown. I
> want them to be hidden, not only the body of subheadings. How TO?

i just learned outline-mode this month, due to reading emacs 23's NEWs
file.

in outline mode, type Alt+x describe-mode, and it'll spit out its
inline doc. Then you can read all about the shortcuts for hiding
header or text etc.

Quote:

Commands:
C-c C-n   outline-next-visible-heading      move by visible headings
C-c C-p   outline-previous-visible-heading
C-c C-f   outline-forward-same-level        similar but skip
subheadings
C-c C-b   outline-backward-same-level
C-c C-u   outline-up-heading		    move from subheading to heading

C-c C-t	make all text invisible (not headings).
C-c C-a	make everything in buffer visible.
C-c C-q  make only the first N levels of headers visible.

however, the keys are exceedingly complex and their logic cumbersome,
especially if you have cua-mode on, or if you also have your own
keyboard customizations.

So, i went to emacswiki for some read up.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OutlineMode

which gives a very good intro about outline mode.

Then, i found out about outline-magic package by Carsten Dominik,
which provides much better shortcuts and commands, so you simply use
arrow keys to do various expanding/hiding of the headers, or just
press tab to cycle thru the common pattern of toggling thru showing/
hiding sub sections.

The name Carsten Dominik sounds familiar, and indeed, he's the author
of org-mode, which i never used but did spend some time on in the past
to vaguely recall it's outgrowth of outline-mode.

So, i did a hour of study or 2. Basically, my quick conclusion is that
org-mode completely supplants outline-mode in features and quality.

just set your mode to org-mode, then just type tab key to hide/show
headers or subsections. org-mode is robust and well maintained, so
it's good to bet on. :D

you could put:
(defalias 'outline-mode 'org-mode)

hope this helps. :D

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: outline: how to hide the subheadings?
@ 2009-08-11  5:11 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-11  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 10, 4:41 am, JackPhil <jack.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a heading have subheadings,the subheadings will always be shown. I
> want them to be hidden, not only the body of subheadings. How TO?

type “Alt+x org-mode”, then, type “Shift+Tab” to cycle thru levels of
subsection hiding. Or, move cursor to particular heading, type “Tab”
to do cycle on that particular level.

@ 2009-08-11 13:12   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-11 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah Lee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Xah,

There is a new minor mode named foldit-mode in latest nXhtml beta
1.94. Could you perhaps test it with outline-magic?

@ 2009-08-11 13:50   ` JackPhil
From: JackPhil @ 2009-08-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8月10日, 下午10时29分, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> you could put:
> (defalias 'outline-mode 'org-mode)

org-mode for programming? Anyway, I will try it