all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SQLi[postgres] mode and passing tabs to psql
@ 2008-06-16 18:44 rwc9u
From: rwc9u @ 2008-06-16 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd like to figure a way to harness the completion functionality that
the psql client provides, and use that from within the emacs sqli mode
for postgres. If I run psql from the bash prompt then when I hit tab
twice I get completions for either sql keywords or table names
depending on the location of my cursor.

When I try to do this from within the sqli mode I can't figure out the
way to pass the tabs to the underlying process. I am assuming if I can
get this to work then I could write some sort of output filter to
provide a completions list.
Any ideas or modes to point me at that do something similar.

Thanks,

Rob

* Re: SQLi[postgres] mode and passing tabs to psql
@ 2008-06-17  8:45 ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-06-17  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 16, 9:44 pm, rwc9u <robchris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to figure a way to harness the completion functionality that
> the psql client provides, and use that from within the emacs sqli mode
> for postgres. If I run psql from the bash prompt then when I hit tab
> twice I get completions for either sql keywords or table names
> depending on the location of my cursor.
>
> When I try to do this from within the sqli mode I can't figure out the
> way to pass the tabs to the underlying process. I am assuming if I can
> get this to work then I could write some sort of output filter to
> provide a completions list.
> Any ideas or modes to point me at that do something similar.

Just blind guessing: Did you try "C-q TAB" or "ESC TAB"? ("C-h b"
might be helpful too.)

Regards.

* Re: SQLi[postgres] mode and passing tabs to psql
@ 2008-06-17 13:50   ` rwc9u
From: rwc9u @ 2008-06-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 17, 4:45 am, Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 16, 9:44 pm, rwc9u <robchris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to figure a way to harness the completion functionality that
> > the psql client provides, and use that from within the emacs sqli mode
> > for postgres. If I run psql from the bash prompt then when I hit tab
> > twice I get completions for either sql keywords or table names
> > depending on the location of my cursor.
>
> > When I try to do this from within the sqli mode I can't figure out the
> > way to pass the tabs to the underlying process. I am assuming if I can
> > get this to work then I could write some sort of output filter to
> > provide a completions list.
> > Any ideas or modes to point me at that do something similar.
>
> Just blind guessing: Did you try "C-q TAB" or "ESC TAB"? ("C-h b"
> might be helpful too.)
>
> Regards.

C-q TAB does seem to send the TAB to the underlying program, it is
just not echoing back the completion to the buffer. Let me dig more
into configuring the sqli-mode.

Thanks,

Rob