all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with fullscreen and frame-cmds
@ 2013-05-29 12:10 simona bellavista
From: simona bellavista @ 2013-05-29 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using emacs over a vnc connection. when I use frame-cmds the
command-bar (the bar where one inputs the command name, variable name, etc)
disappears, because the window is too big for the screen. If I try to use
fullscreen, nothing happens, it doesn't work at all.

Does anybody has any hint?

Simona

* RE: problem with fullscreen and frame-cmds
@ 2013-05-29 15:26 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-05-29 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simona bellavista, help-gnu-emacs

> I am using emacs over a vnc connection. when I use frame-cmds the
> command-bar (the bar where one inputs the command name, variable name, etc)
> disappears, because the window is too big for the screen. If I try to use
> fullscreen, nothing happens, it doesn't work at all.
>
> Does anybody has any hint?

There are lots of different commands in frame-cmds.el. It's not clear what you are doing or what effect/result you are seeing.

I'm afraid you'll have to provide more info, preferably a step-by-step recipe, mentioning your platform and emacs version. You can reply off list if you want.

* Re: problem with fullscreen and frame-cmds
@ 2013-05-29 15:37   ` simona bellavista
From: simona bellavista @ 2013-05-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I do the following: I connect from my workstation to another system through
vnc, and there I open emacs and use the package frame-cmds.el

I am referring to the command toggle-max-frame. The problem is that when I
toggle to full screen I cannot see the lower bar (the one where one usually
insert commands).
My client is running on ubuntum (kernel 2.6.35), the vnc connects to a
system that runs centos 6.2 (architecture 64 bit).
The vnc client is vinagre.
emacs is 23.1.1

let me know which other information you think would be useful.

@ 2013-05-29 16:47     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-05-29 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simona bellavista; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I'm guessing that your VNC client uses some of the vertical space, so the calculation of the maximum frame size, which is based on your actual screen size, is not adequate.

Try customizing option `window-mgr-title-bar-pixel-height', increasing it to account for any vertical space lost to the VNC frame (or whatever).

Alternatively, you can customize option `available-screen-pixel-bounds'. That lets you define the available screen size, both width and height.

(You can also set such options in your init file, making the value dependent on the current platform etc.)

Let me know. Off-list if you prefer.

Thx - Drew