all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs dropbox conflict
@ 2016-07-26 14:14 Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2016-07-26 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was working in emacs with a colleague: Different locations -- file shared by dropbox

Now we can set the backup to go somewhere outside the Dropbox directory
However emacs also seems to create another file -- a link .#filename
that causes some conflict

Can emcas be setup to not have that file be in the same directory as the file being worked on?

* Re: emacs dropbox conflict
@ 2016-07-26 14:38 ` HASM
       [not found] ` <mailman.2077.1469557866.26859.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: HASM @ 2016-07-26 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> However emacs also seems to create another file -- a link .#filename
> that causes some conflict
> Can emcas be setup to not have that file be in the same
> directory as the file being worked on?

I think you can disable those files
  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/File-Locks.html
not sure if moving them is an option.

-- HASM

* Re: emacs dropbox conflict
@ 2016-07-26 18:30 ` J. David Boyd
       [not found] ` <mailman.2077.1469557866.26859.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2016-07-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I was working in emacs with a colleague: Different locations -- file shared by dropbox
>
> Now we can set the backup to go somewhere outside the Dropbox directory
> However emacs also seems to create another file -- a link .#filename
> that causes some conflict
>
> Can emcas be setup to not have that file be in the same directory as the file being worked on?

Why would you want to do that?  That file is a marker to tell you that someone
is editing the file.  When done editing, doesn't that file go away?

* Re: emacs dropbox conflict
       [not found] ` <mailman.2077.1469557866.26859.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-07-27  3:04   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2016-07-27  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:01:07 AM UTC+5:30, J. David Boyd wrote:
> Rusi  writes:
>
> > I was working in emacs with a colleague: Different locations -- file shared by dropbox
> >
> > Now we can set the backup to go somewhere outside the Dropbox directory
> > However emacs also seems to create another file -- a link .#filename
> > that causes some conflict
> >
> > Can emcas be setup to not have that file be in the same directory as the file being worked on?
>

> Why would you want to do that?  That file is a marker to tell you that someone
> is editing the file.  When done editing, doesn't that file go away?

Two people, working together, talking on skype (say), using emacs to (simultate)
sharing a screen.

IOW we want and intend to edit the file at almost the same time
And so a bit of treading on each other’s toes is acceptable

A: Ok Ive added this section. Can you check?
B: Looks good... Ive changed the last sentence

etc