all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-03-31 12:35 Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2008-03-31 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I installed Ubuntu on a new machine and GNU Emacs font seems too big
when compared to my other Gentoo machines.
So each time I start I do: Set Font/FontSet -> Misc -> clean 8x8. How
can I set this up in my .emacs?

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS
University of Southampton, UK
Sponsor ECS runners - Action against Hunger:
http://www.justgiving.com/ecsrunslikethewind

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-03-31 12:43 Pavol Murin
From: Pavol Murin @ 2008-03-31 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, pocm

> Hello all,
>
> I installed Ubuntu on a new machine and GNU Emacs font seems too big
> when compared to my other Gentoo machines.
> So each time I start I do: Set Font/FontSet -> Misc -> clean 8x8. How
> can I set this up in my .emacs?
>
> Thanks,

something like this (just change the font name):

(set-default-font  "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10")

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-03-31 17:40 ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2008-03-31 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavol Murin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Pavol Murin <palomurin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
>  >
>  > I installed Ubuntu on a new machine and GNU Emacs font seems too big
>  > when compared to my other Gentoo machines.
>  > So each time I start I do: Set Font/FontSet -> Misc -> clean 8x8. How
>  > can I set this up in my .emacs?
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>
>  something like this (just change the font name):
>
>  (set-default-font  "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10")

Is there a way to list all the fonts available to GNU Emacs?

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk

@ 2008-03-31 18:49   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: emacs list

Am 31.03.2008 um 19:40 schrieb Paulo J. Matos:
> Is there a way to list all the fonts available to GNU Emacs?

It's easy – but first think of a good name for the list!

	M-x set-frame-font RET TAB

This will create a *Completions* buffer that you best save/rename at
once without trying file name completion (or it will overwrite the
buffer's contents). I get about 12,000 names ...

The other method is:

	(x-list-fonts "*")C-j

in *scratch* buffer. It creates a strange list that would need some
expansion ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-03-31 19:21 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-31 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavol Murin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, pocm

"Pavol Murin" <palomurin@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu on a new machine and GNU Emacs font seems too big
>> when compared to my other Gentoo machines.
>> So each time I start I do: Set Font/FontSet -> Misc -> clean 8x8. How
>> can I set this up in my .emacs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> something like this (just change the font name):
>
> (set-default-font  "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10")

Also try using your X resources:

My ~/.Xdefaults file:

,----
| !XTerm
| XTerm*font:		-xos4-terminus-medium-*-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
| XTerm*faceSize:		12
| XTerm*background:	Black
| XTerm*foreground:	grey77
| XTerm*metaSendsEscape: 	True
| XTerm*eightBitInput:	False
| XTerm*highlightColor:	pink
| XTerm*cursorBlink:	True
|
| !Emacs
| Emacs*font:	-xos4-terminus-medium-*-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
| Emacs*cursorColor:	blue
| Emacs*foreground:	grey77
| Emacs*background:	black
| !Emacs*fullscreen:	fullheight
`----

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-03-31 19:31   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-31 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Pavol Murin

"Paulo J. Matos" <pocm@soton.ac.uk> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Pavol Murin <palomurin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>>  >
>>  > I installed Ubuntu on a new machine and GNU Emacs font seems too big
>>  > when compared to my other Gentoo machines.
>>  > So each time I start I do: Set Font/FontSet -> Misc -> clean 8x8. How
>>  > can I set this up in my .emacs?
>>  >
>>  > Thanks,
>>
>>  something like this (just change the font name):
>>
>>  (set-default-font  "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10")
>>

> Is there a way to list all the fonts available to GNU Emacs?

On Unix with X11 you can use the command xlsfonts, or use the
interactive xfontsel to select a font.

Joel

--

@ 2008-03-31 20:46     ` Paulo J. Matos
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9854.1207128545.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2008-03-31 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs list

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

>  Am 31.03.2008 um 19:40 schrieb Paulo J. Matos:
>
> > Is there a way to list all the fonts available to GNU Emacs?
>

>  It's easy – but first think of a good name for the list!
>
>         M-x set-frame-font RET TAB
>
>  This will create a *Completions* buffer that you best save/rename at
>  once without trying file name completion (or it will overwrite the
>  buffer's contents). I get about 12,000 names ...

It would be very interesting to find a way to print a given sentence
with all the possible settings as a list.
I don't know Emacs Lisp but I do know Common Lisp. If I can get some
help I might do it myself.
How can I get a list with all the setting and apply the font setting
to just one sentence in a buffer?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk

@ 2008-03-31 20:52     ` Pavol Murin
From: Pavol Murin @ 2008-03-31 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel J. Adamson, Paulo J. Matos, help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Joel J. Adamson <jadamson@partners.org> wrote:
> "Paulo J. Matos" <pocm@soton.ac.uk> writes:
>
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Pavol Murin <palomurin@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> > Hello all,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > I installed Ubuntu on a new machine and GNU Emacs font seems too big
>  >>  > when compared to my other Gentoo machines.
>  >>  > So each time I start I do: Set Font/FontSet -> Misc -> clean 8x8. How
>  >>  > can I set this up in my .emacs?
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Thanks,
>  >>
>  >>  something like this (just change the font name):
>  >>
>  >>  (set-default-font  "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10")
>  >>
>  >
>  > Is there a way to list all the fonts available to GNU Emacs?
>
>  On Unix with X11 you can use the command xlsfonts, or use the
>  interactive xfontsel to select a font.

or if you are in Gnome or KDE, just use the font tools available.
Writing the font name exactly as it appears in the font tool (and
adding -size as above, e.g. -10) should be enough. Use the *scratch*
buffer for immediate feedback.

(tested on KDE and it works well, I don't have Gnome here).

muro

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-04-02  9:28       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9854.1207128545.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-02  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: emacs list

Am 31.03.2008 um 22:46 schrieb Paulo J. Matos:
> How can I get a list with all the setting and apply the font setting
> to just one sentence in a buffer?

That's not possible – at least not in GNU Emacs. Here one frame can
use only one font or fontset. You might think of creating some
hundred frames, each using a different font or fontset. Best filter
all proportional fonts. They're mostly useful for novels or
newspapers. Monospaced fonts are probably the proper choice for GNU
Emacs.

Another approach would be to adopt list-faces-sample-text which is
displayed by list-faces-display (Edit menu -> Text Properties ->
Display Faces). Using for each face a different font might be an option.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9854.1207128545.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-05  4:05         ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-04-05  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 2, 2:28 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@web.de> wrote:
> Am 31.03.2008 um 22:46 schrieb Paulo J. Matos:
>
> > How can I get a list with all the setting and apply the font setting
> > to just one sentence in a buffer?
>
> That's not possible - at least not in GNU Emacs. Here one frame can
> use only one font or fontset. You might think of creating some
> hundred frames, each using a different font or fontset. Best filter
> all proportional fonts. They're mostly useful for novels or
> newspapers. Monospaced fonts are probably the proper choice for GNU
> Emacs.

Any likelihood of this changing -- say in emacs 23 ??

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-04-05  8:57           ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]           ` <mailman.10028.1207385878.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-05  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rustom; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.04.2008 um 06:05 schrieb rustom:
>> That's not possible - at least not in GNU Emacs. Here one frame can
>> use only one font or fontset. You might think of creating some
>> hundred frames, each using a different font or fontset. Best filter
>> all proportional fonts. They're mostly useful for novels or
>> newspapers. Monospaced fonts are probably the proper choice for GNU
>> Emacs.
>
> Any likelihood of this changing -- say in emacs 23 ??

Why should this change? Do you want to learn commands to set font or
fontset properties plus colours effects for text particles or do you
want to programme or write something? If the former is on your wish-
list you should look out for a different tool. The latter works well
with PostScript or LaTeX and shows similiar show effects.

--
Greetings

   Pete

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
				– Douglas Adams

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-04-05 13:45           ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]           ` <mailman.10028.1207385878.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-04-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 5, 5:05 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2:28 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@web.de> wrote:
>
> > That's not possible - at least not in GNU Emacs. Here one frame can
> > use only one font or fontset. You might think of creating some
> > hundred frames, each using a different font or fontset. Best filter
> > all proportional fonts. They're mostly useful for novels or
> > newspapers. Monospaced fonts are probably the proper choice for GNU
> > Emacs.
>
> Any likelihood of this changing -- say in emacs 23 ??

It changed already, in Emacs 21. You can use multiple fonts in a
buffer, there just isn't a convenient UI or set of commands for doing
it. Contributions welcome in this area.

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
       [not found]           ` <mailman.10028.1207385878.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-05 15:44             ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-04-05 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 5, 1:57 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 05.04.2008 um 06:05 schrieb rustom:
>
> >> That's not possible - at least not in GNU Emacs. Here one frame can
> >> use only one font or fontset. You might think of creating some
> >> hundred frames, each using a different font or fontset. Best filter
> >> all proportional fonts. They're mostly useful for novels or
> >> newspapers. Monospaced fonts are probably the proper choice for GNU
> >> Emacs.
>
> > Any likelihood of this changing -- say in emacs 23 ??
>
> Why should this change? Do you want to learn commands to set font or
> fontset properties plus colours effects for text particles or do you
> want to programme or write something?

Yeah. I dont want and dont know how to do all this. But an eclipse
display with the file pane in a distinctly smaller font than the
program pane is not just pleasanter to look at but is more efficient
in the use of screen real-estate.

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-04-05 18:07               ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-05 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rustom; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.04.2008 um 17:44 schrieb rustom:
> Yeah. I dont want and dont know how to do all this. But an eclipse
> display with the file pane in a distinctly smaller font than the
> program pane is not just pleasanter to look at but is more efficient
> in the use of screen real-estate.

Look into the X Resources node in Emacs' info page. You can also set
initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist or switch off toolbar and
menubar and scrollbar and use an (almost) unreadable font in mode-
line ... Probably there are X11 window managers that allow to set the
size of the (X) window's (or Emacs frame's) title bar.

Also check text with C-u C-x = and then choose the customise hyper-
link to change font, size, colour –  at least in GNU Emacs 23.x it
works this way. In GNU Emacs 22 it's possible to select the "face
name" to enter a *Help* buffer which then allows to finally choose
"(customize this face)."

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

* Re: Setting Font/FontSet
@ 2008-04-06 22:41                 ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2008-04-06 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: rustom, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

>  Look into the X Resources node in Emacs' info page. You can also set
> initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist or switch off toolbar and
> menubar and scrollbar and use an (almost) unreadable font in mode-line ...
> Probably there are X11 window managers that allow to set the size of the (X)
> window's (or Emacs frame's) title bar.
>
>  Also check text with C-u C-x = and then choose the customise hyper-link to
> change font, size, colour –  at least in GNU Emacs 23.x it works this way.
> In GNU Emacs 22 it's possible to select the "face name" to enter a *Help*
> buffer which then allows to finally choose "(customize this face)."

Great! Thank you all very much.