On Dec 30, 2007 9:02 PM, wrote: > I hope this isn't one of those things that is just plain obvious to > lookup in emacs but I'm striking out with M-x apropos > > How can I make emacs do something similar with if-fi constructs as it > does with parens? > > Even better I'd like the kind of behaviour one can get in vim with > parens, where not only does the syntax coloring show the other paren > but you can jump there with a Ctrl-% > > I know emacs can do that as well but not as easily. But anyway, I use > emacs more and would like to turn its powers used in paren recognition > against the `if fi', `while done', `for done'... etc. one uses in > shell scripting. > In case I am not too late, I suggest looking at gap-mode.el. It was made for the GAP computer algebra system, which uses a language with this kind of syntax. It does a good job of matching and indentation. It does not do exactly what you want, but since the adequate matching functions are there, you can probably get some strong leverage. am