all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs windows load path
@ 2003-03-29 19:08 Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-29 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

With emacs 21 on Windows, is there a way to get the load-path behavior to
work as it does in Linux. Specifically, I have this in my linux .emacs:

;; Add Personal lisp files to load path
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")

Which gets all the files in ~/elisp and all subdirectories. On Windows,
however, it seems that I have to specifically add every subdirectory in my
~/elisp directory or else Emacs doesn't see them. Why?

* RE: emacs windows load path
@ 2003-03-29 19:43 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2003-03-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, March 29, 2003 1:09 PM Chris wrote:

>With emacs 21 on Windows, is there a way to get the load-path behavior
>work as it does in Linux. Specifically, I have this in my linux .emacs:
>

>;; Add Personal lisp files to load path
>(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")
>

>Which gets all the files in ~/elisp and all subdirectories. On Windows,

>however, it seems that I have to specifically add every subdirectory in
my
>~/elisp directory or else Emacs doesn't see them. Why?

That is curious, I run Emacs on unix and on windows and the load path
acts just the same as on both, only the directories specified in the
path are searched.  You may want to check out what the Elisp manual says
about load-path and subdirectories, (if you do not have it installed
see:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-21-2.8/html_mono/elisp.html).

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

* Re: emacs windows load path
@ 2003-03-29 20:46 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-03-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:

> With emacs 21 on Windows, is there a way to get the load-path
> behavior to work as it does in Linux. Specifically, I have this in
> my linux .emacs:
>
> ;; Add Personal lisp files to load path
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")
>
> Which gets all the files in ~/elisp and all subdirectories.

Really? I don't think it does. I do think that it is convenient,
though, so I use the following hack.

(defun add-subdirs-to-load-path (dir)
  ;; wants a trailing slash
  (let ((default-directory (concat dir "/")))
    (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)))

,----[ C-h f normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path RET ]
| normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path is a compiled Lisp
| function in `startup'.
| (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
|
| Add all subdirectories of current directory to `load-path'.
| More precisely, this uses only the subdirectories whose names
| start with letters or digits; it excludes any subdirectory named `RCS'
| or `CVS', and any subdirectory that contains a file named `.nosearch'.
`----

Then I can do (add-subdirs-to-load-path "~/elisp").

/Johan

* Re: emacs windows load path
@ 2003-03-29 20:52 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2003-03-29 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs windows load path
@ 2003-03-31 16:08   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-31 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   (let ((default-directory (concat dir "/")))

    (let ((default-directory (file-name-as-directory dir)))