all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing default name of shell
@ 2002-10-15  5:47 Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-10-15  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way I can automatically change the name of a shell buffer when I
open it? I would it to be called just "shell" or something without the *
surrounding the name so it is easier to complete with tab completion...

* Re: changing default name of shell
@ 2002-10-15  7:06 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-10-15  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:
> Is there a way I can automatically change the name of a shell buffer when I
> open it? I would it to be called just "shell" or something without the *
> surrounding the name so it is easier to complete with tab completion...

If you have a recent (21.x) version of emacs, give `M-x shell' command a
prefix argument, e.g., `C-u M-x shell', and it will prompt you for a
name.

Otherwise, you could always use `M-x rename-buffer' after you create
the shell.

-miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.

* RE: changing default name of shell
@ 2002-10-15 15:40 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-10-15 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Add this to your .emacs:
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook (lambda () (rename-buffer "shell")))

If you want to have multiple shells each with a unique name generated without the asterisks you can do this:
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook (lambda () (rename-buffer (generate-new-buffer-name "shell"))))

This will produce a buffer named shell on the first invocation and will produce buffers named shell<n>, where n is a unique number starting with 2 and incrementing by one, with each subsequent invocation of the shell.  If you don't like the <>'s you will have to get more creative inside the lambda expression to strip them out.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

       [not found] <mailman.1034697434.15976.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-15 17:18 ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-10-15 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 15 Oct 2002, "Bingham, Jay" <Jay.Bingham@hp.com> spake thusly:

> If you want to have multiple shells each with a unique name generated
> without the asterisks you can do this:
> (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
> (lambda () (rename-buffer (generate-new-buffer-name "shell"))))

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed despite my initial query being a bit
vague. Thanks...

* Re: changing default name of shell
@ 2002-10-18 15:15 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-10-18 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way I can automatically change the name of a shell buffer when I
> open it? I would it to be called just "shell" or something without the *

`C-u M-x shell' will query for the name.  You could also just make
wrapper and use that, e.g.:

(defun my-shell ()
  (interactive)
  (shell "shell"))