all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* replace tab stops with spaces
@ 2002-10-14  9:09 Roland Reichenberg
From: Roland Reichenberg @ 2002-10-14  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

in our small development team nearly everybody uses a different editor
to work on our sources. And not every editor is configured to use blank
spaces instead of tab stops. So our sources contain both real tab stops
and blank spaces.

This bothers me while editing buffers. Is there an easy-to-use command
which converts all tab stops into 4 blank spaces?

Thanks in advance,

	Roland

* Re: replace tab stops with spaces
@ 2002-10-14  9:35 ` Edric M Ellis
From: Edric M Ellis @ 2002-10-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roland Reichenberg wrote:
> in our small development team nearly everybody uses a different
> editor to work on our sources. And not every editor is configured to
> use blank spaces instead of tab stops. So our sources contain both
> real tab stops and blank spaces.

I assume telling them to use a better editor is out of the question ;)

> This bothers me while editing buffers. Is there an easy-to-use
> command which converts all tab stops into 4 blank spaces?

C-x h M-x untabify RET?

NB that "untabify" uses the current value of tab-width, but you could
hard-wire it, and do the whole buffer at once like this:

(defun untabify-whole-buffer-4 nil
  (interactive)
  (let ((tab-width 4))
    (untabify (point-min) (point-max))))

Cheers,

Edric.

--
Edric M Ellis
The MathWorks, Ltd., Matrix House, Cowley Park, Cambridge CB4 0HH, UK

* Re: replace tab stops with spaces
@ 2002-10-14 14:03 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-10-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the cursor at the beginning of the file, type M-x replace string.
At the "Replace string:" prompt, hit tab key then enter.
At the "Replace string   with:" prompt hit 4 spaces then enter.

@ 2002-10-14 14:25 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-10-14 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

The suggested approach may produce undesirable results, such as when a tab takes less than a fixed number of spaces, which is the reason for existence of tab characters.

Instead try the M-x untabify command at the start of the buffer

untabify is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `tabify'.
(untabify START END)

Convert all tabs in region to multiple spaces, preserving columns.
Called non-interactively, the region is specified by arguments
START and END, rather than by the position of point and mark.
The variable `tab-width' controls the spacing of tab stops.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-