all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rotating between buffers
@ 2002-08-15 17:38 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2002-08-15 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am trying to convince a co-worker to use emacs. He will do it if there
is a key stroke that will allow him to rotate between active buffers,
like alt-tab in windows allows you to cycle through windows.

I am totally down with ctrl-x b to go to a named buffer, and ctrl-x
ctrl-b to get the buffer list, and even control -left click to get a
buffer menu pop-up... but It has to be a keystroke according to him..

So is there any such command built in to emacs to do this, or does
anyone have something I can add on?

Thanks in advance!

--brigham

* RE: rotating between buffers
@ 2002-08-15 17:54 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-08-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Emacs 21.1 and later this can be done by clicking on the buffer name in the mode line, left click to go to the previous buffer, right click to go to the next buffer.  If he just has to have it assigned to a key that can be done in his .emacs. Since the function is assigned to a mouse click all that would need to be done to assign it to a key is find out which function switches buffers and put the statement in his .emacs to assign the functions to keys.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

@ 2002-08-15 18:06 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2002-08-15 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! That is really cool, I didn't know about clicking on the buffer
name to roate... Now to find which command it is running....

@ 2002-08-16  6:56 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-08-16  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would think about bury-buffer, though it would give us only one-way
switching. And if only it was possible to skip all those *temporary*
buffers... Anyway, that might do for the first time.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

@ 2002-08-16 10:00 ` Francesco Scaglioni
From: Francesco Scaglioni @ 2002-08-16 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Herewith relevant section of my .emacs -- keep on persuading

; Switch buffer with ctrl-tab
(global-set-key [(ctrl tab)] 'bury-buffer) ; Ctrl-Tab switches buffers

* Re: rotating between buffers
@ 2002-08-16 10:18   ` Todd Kokoszka
From: Todd Kokoszka @ 2002-08-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Brigham.Stevens

I found the attached at an emacs website -- perhaps it was
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

I looked to find the author in order to give her/him credit, but I
couldn't.

I use ctl-tab (forward) and ctl-alt-tab (backward) to cycle through
buffers. I think it has more functionality but I'm not sure how to use it.

Todd

On Fri 16 Aug 2002 at 11:00:26 +0100, Francesco Scaglioni wrote:

> Hi
>
> Herewith relevant section of my .emacs -- keep on persuading
>
> ; Switch buffer with ctrl-tab
> (global-set-key [(ctrl tab)] 'bury-buffer) ; Ctrl-Tab switches buffers

[-- Attachment #2: emacs --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1686 bytes --]

; necessary support function for buffer burial
(defun crs-delete-these (delete-these from-this-list)
  "Delete DELETE-THESE FROM-THIS-LIST."
  (cond
   ((car delete-these)
    (if (member (car delete-these) from-this-list)
        (crs-delete-these (cdr delete-these) (delete (car delete-these)
						     from-this-list))
      (crs-delete-these (cdr delete-these) from-this-list)))
   (t from-this-list)))

					; this is the list of buffers I never want to see
(defvar crs-hated-buffers
  '("KILL" "*Compile-Log*"))
					; might as well use this for both
(setq iswitchb-buffer-ignore (append '("^ " "*Buffer") crs-hated-buffers))

(defun crs-hated-buffers ()
  "List of buffers I never want to see, converted from names to buffers."
  (delete nil
          (append
           (mapcar 'get-buffer crs-hated-buffers)
           (mapcar (lambda (this-buffer)
                     (if (string-match "^ " (buffer-name this-buffer))
                         this-buffer))
                   (buffer-list)))))

					; I'm sick of switching buffers only to find KILL right in front of me
(defun crs-bury-buffer (&optional n)
  (interactive)
  (unless n
    (setq n 1))
  (let ((my-buffer-list (crs-delete-these (crs-hated-buffers)
                                          (buffer-list (selected-frame)))))
    (switch-to-buffer
     (if (< n 0)
         (nth (+ (length my-buffer-list) n)
              my-buffer-list)
       (bury-buffer)
       (nth n my-buffer-list)))))

(global-set-key [(control tab)] 'crs-bury-buffer)
(global-set-key [(control meta tab)] (lambda ()
                                       (interactive)
                                       (crs-bury-buffer -1)))

* RE: rotating between buffers
@ 2002-08-16 15:44 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2002-08-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Francesco,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

--brigham

@ 2002-08-16 15:51 ` Francesco Scaglioni
From: Francesco Scaglioni @ 2002-08-16 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

WOW -- my first piece of advice to anyone about emacs -- I only wish I
had thought it up myself -- I got that bit from the web but
could not see who from.  Anyway glad it helped

From: "Stevens, Brigham" <Brigham.Stevens@wamu.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:44:56 -0700

@ 2002-08-16 17:55   ` David Forrest
From: David Forrest @ 2002-08-16 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Brigham.Stevens, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Francesco Scaglioni wrote:

> Hi
>
> Herewith relevant section of my .emacs -- keep on persuading
>
> ; Switch buffer with ctrl-tab
> (global-set-key [(ctrl tab)] 'bury-buffer) ; Ctrl-Tab switches buffers

Heres an un-buryier which I bind to the results of C-h k C-S-tab:

(defun raise-buffer ()
  "Raise the most-buried (per bury-buffer) buffer"
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer (car(last(buffer-list))))
)

(global-set-key [C-S-iso-lefttab] 'raise-buffer) ; Ctrl-Shift-Tab rolls down

Dave,
--
 Dave Forrest                                   drf5n@virginia.edu
 (804)642-0662h (434)924-3954w  http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

* Re: rotating between buffers
@ 2002-08-26 21:53 ` Fernando Dobladez
From: Fernando Dobladez @ 2002-08-26 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I'd use the 'bs' package (comes standard in Emacs 21.x) it's a wonderful
replacement for C-x C-b, and it also provides bs-cycle-next and
bs-cycle-previous functions (that do what you want)

As a bonus, those "cycle" functions skip the temporary buffers (if you
want to).

Example bindings:

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'bs-show) ;;
(global-set-key (kbd "<f6>") 'bs-cycle-next)
(global-set-key (kbd "<S-f6>") 'bs-cycle-previous)

You could also try pc-bufsw.el, it tries to mimic Windows' Alt-TAB behavior.

Fer