Hi all! First step is done :-) . Last week (7 days ago) Stefan Monnier wrote: >> May I commit simply the current version to Bazaar or is >> there a better way? Also a review of the current version by you may >> make sense. > > It's basically just a merge, so I don't see any need to do it in more > than a single commit. Just committed. I'd appreciate a thorough review. After that I'd commit a few smaller changes from latest development. > But please try to keep some reference to the > "common ancestor" and "tip" of the branch being merged (that's done > automatically as Bzr metadata when it's a normal merge, but I suspect in > your case the branch from which you merge is external). I did this in the log message including a reference to the Docutils subversion revision. >> According to the GNU Coding Standards I need to write a ChangeLog >> entry. I don't see this makes much sense for such a large patch - at >> least not in the way ChangeLog entries are done according to the GNU >> Coding Standards. So how to construct a ChangeLog entry which complies >> with the standards but makes sense? > > Sometimes following the normal ChangeLog rules leads to surprisingly > manageable results even for large patches. E.g. all new functions are > just listed as "new function" without any explanation of what they do, > so it can stay fairly concise (and even more so for new files, tho > I suspect in your case that won't help). > > But if the normal ChangeLog is large, we usually try to shorten it with > things like "adjust all callers" which saves us from mentioning each one > of the callers when changing a calling convention or a function name. > > Finally, I assume that you do have some kind of ChangeLog already (in > the form of a list of commit messages), so you might want to just > reformat those to fit the ChangeLog conventions and not spend too much > time making them concise: after all, it doesn't hurt much if the commit > message is more verbose than necessary. I worked on this and think I ended up in a pretty good result. I used my result as a log message. >> My work at rst.el also resulted in some new features. Where to put a >> description of these features? I think this will be most interesting >> for a new version of Emacs. > > Put them in etc/NEWS. I did this in the same commit. I hope I did it right. Grüße Stefan