all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: bash builtin expansion in shell.el
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:39:17 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Jun 13, 2:33 pm, jida...@jidanni.org wrote:
> Completing command name...
> No completions of hist
> Completing file name...
> No completions of ali
> PD> Either type "history" and then RET, or create aliases and make them
> PD> known to the *shell* buffer in the file ~/.emacs_bash.
> What do I do?
> alias history=history
> alias alias=alias
> ?
>
> I am using the *shell* buffer in
> $ emacs -f shell
> instead of trying to use the remote readline functions of
> $ ssh very-far-away-and-slow.org
>
> Maybe I need to fool *shell* with a directory on $PATH fill of
> executable links with the same names as the bash builtins?
> touch bla
> chmod 755 bla
> ln history alias suspend typeset ... bla

not sure what's your solution.

anyhow, this problem is not difficult to implement. For me, i'd say
few days full time.

• How To Implement Keyword Completion in Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_keyword_completion.html

I've also been using this package in the 2 years or so:
it support command and file name completions.

;;; shell-command.el --- enables tab-completion for `shell-command'
 http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el

however, it doesn't support bash keywords as in your message. Maybe
ask the person who did icicles... it is a package designed to do all
sort of completions, but i don't know if it solves your case. It's on
emacswiki.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/