all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to change the key of EasyPG?
       [not found] <87d400jmdl.fsf@ymail.invalid>
@ 2010-02-20  9:51 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-02-20  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.invalid> writes:

> I am using EasyPG to encrypt my document.
>
> Here is the link: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EasyPG
>
> and
>
> http://www.easypg.org/.
>
> After I used a key to encrypt the document, I want to change the key
> which I think we can also call as password.
>
> How to change the key or password?
>
> Thanks

Not sure exactly what you are after due to terminology confusion. Would
highly recommend you have a look at the docs for gnupg - there is a
'quick start' doc which will explain a lot.

Essentially, you use a gpg key to encrypt the data. Associated with a
gpg key is a passphrase/password. You have to enter the
passphrase/password before you can use the key.

If you want to change the passphrase associated with a key, you need to
use the gpg utility. If you want to create a new key, you also need to
use the gpg utility.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2010-02-20 11:37 ` snikeris
From: snikeris @ 2010-02-20 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 20, 4:18 am, Water Lin <Water...@ymail.invalid> wrote:
> I am using EasyPG to encrypt my document.
>
> Here is the link:http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EasyPG
>
> and
>
> http://www.easypg.org/.
>
> After I used a key to encrypt the document, I want to change the key
> which I think we can also call as password.
>
> How to change the key or password?
>
> Thanks

Maybe you're trying to change the passphrase for a file you've
encrypted using symmetric encryption.  In that case:
1. Open the file in emacs.
2. Enter the original passphrase when prompted.
3. Type a letter then remove it (to convince emacs the file changed)
4. C-x C-s will prompt you for a new passphrase.

Hope this helps,
Joe