all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* update to zoom-frame.el for emacs-24?
@ 2011-12-20 14:17 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2011-12-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I'm using zoom-frame.el to bind font resizing to S-mousewheel, which acts like
many modern window apps.

But on 24.0.92, I see:
enlarge-font: Symbol's function definition is void: frame-update-faces

Suggestions?

* Re: update to zoom-frame.el for emacs-24?
@ 2011-12-20 14:52 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-12-20 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 15:17, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> But on 24.0.92, I see:
> enlarge-font: Symbol's function definition is void: frame-update-faces
>
> Suggestions?

frame-update-faces has been removed, and was previously aliased to
`ignore' since Emacs 21.1.

So just skip calling it if it is not defined, or define an alias yourself:

(unless (fboundp 'frame-update-faces)
  (defalias 'frame-update-faces 'ignore))

    Juanma

* Re: update to zoom-frame.el for emacs-24?
@ 2011-12-20 15:05   ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2011-12-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 15:17, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But on 24.0.92, I see:
>> enlarge-font: Symbol's function definition is void: frame-update-faces
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> frame-update-faces has been removed, and was previously aliased to
> `ignore' since Emacs 21.1.
>
> So just skip calling it if it is not defined, or define an alias yourself:
>
> (unless (fboundp 'frame-update-faces)
>   (defalias 'frame-update-faces 'ignore))
>
> Juanma

Thanks!  I found a copy of emacs 23, and found that C-h f told me the function
was obsolete.

But I don't think I ever saw a message when using emacs 23 telling me it was
obsolete.  Is there not a mechanism in emacs to give warnings when functions are
to be obsoleted?

* Re: update to zoom-frame.el for emacs-24?
@ 2011-12-20 15:37     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-12-20 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 16:05, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> But I don't think I ever saw a message when using emacs 23 telling me it was
> obsolete.  Is there not a mechanism in emacs to give warnings when functions are
> to be obsoleted?

The byte-compiler certainly warns:

  C:\emacs\releases> type test.el
  (frame-update-faces)

  C:\emacs\releases> .\23.3\bin\emacs.exe -Q -batch -f
batch-byte-compile test.el

  In toplevel form:
  test.el:1:2:Warning: `frame-update-faces' is an obsolete function (as of Emacs
      21.1); no longer necessary.
  Wrote c:/emacs/releases/test.elc

    Juanma

* Re: update to zoom-frame.el for emacs-24?
@ 2011-12-20 15:52     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-12-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

On 12/20/11 8:05 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 15:17, Neal Becker<ndbecker2@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> But on 24.0.92, I see:
>>> enlarge-font: Symbol's function definition is void: frame-update-faces
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>
>> frame-update-faces has been removed, and was previously aliased to
>> `ignore' since Emacs 21.1.
>>
>> So just skip calling it if it is not defined, or define an alias yourself:
>>
>> (unless (fboundp 'frame-update-faces)
>>    (defalias 'frame-update-faces 'ignore))
>>
>> Juanma
>
> Thanks!  I found a copy of emacs 23, and found that C-h f told me the function
> was obsolete.
>
> But I don't think I ever saw a message when using emacs 23 telling me it was
> obsolete.  Is there not a mechanism in emacs to give warnings when functions are
> to be obsoleted?

You will be warned if/when you byte compile the code.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: update to zoom-frame.el for emacs-24?
@ 2011-12-20 16:08 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-12-20 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Neal Becker', emacs-devel

> I'm using zoom-frame.el to bind font resizing to
> S-mousewheel, which acts like many modern window apps.
>
> But on 24.0.92, I see:
> enlarge-font: Symbol's function definition is void: frame-update-faces
>
> Suggestions?

My crystal ball tells me you are using library zoom-frm.el (not zoom-frame.el),
and that requires library frame-cmds.el, which does use `frame-update-faces'.
But it uses that function only for Emacs releases before 21:

 (when (< emacs-major-version 21) (frame-update-faces frame))

So you seem to be using an old copy of frame-cmds.el (and perhaps zoom-frm.el as
well?).  You can update to the latest here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/zoom-frm.el