all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-04  9:40 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2006-12-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone here using cscope/etags?

I have used cscope-indexer to index my gtk headers and the linux kernel
but it is unbelievably slow compared to using emacs tags
functionality. Is this how it should be? Which of the many available
cscope packages out there is the right one to use with

,----
| GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
| 2006-09-19 on rothera, modified by Debian
`----

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-04 10:40 ` Thorsten Bonow
       [not found] ` <mailman.1509.1165249894.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-12-04 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hadron> Anyone here using cscope/etags?

    Hadron> I have used cscope-indexer to index my gtk headers and the linux
    Hadron> kernel but it is unbelievably slow compared to using emacs tags
    Hadron> functionality. Is this how it should be? Which of the many available
    Hadron> cscope packages out there is the right one to use with

Hi,

I use the packaged version coming along with Debian Unstable. Did you try other
cscope interfaces to decide if it's Emacs or cscope which is slow?

If you can be more specific I can try to reproduce it on my box and we can
compare the results.

Have you given gtags a shot?

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

"... There is a fine line between fiction and non-fiction, which
I believe I snorted in 1978 ..."

Kinky Friedman: Scuse Me While I Whip This Out

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-04 11:52   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

>     Hadron> Anyone here using cscope/etags?
>
>     Hadron> I have used cscope-indexer to index my gtk headers and the linux
>     Hadron> kernel but it is unbelievably slow compared to using emacs tags
>     Hadron> functionality. Is this how it should be? Which of the many available
>     Hadron> cscope packages out there is the right one to use with
>
> Hi,
>
> I use the packaged version coming along with Debian Unstable. Did you try other
> cscope interfaces to decide if it's Emacs or cscope which is slow?

Do you have the entire kernel cscope'd? I use xcscope.

What cscope.el or equivalent do you use? I use xcscope.el. There are
lots of versions around. This was the first one I tried which worked:

; File:         xcscope.el
; RCS:          $RCSfile: xcscope.el,v $ $Revision: 1.14 $ $Date: 2002/04/10 16:59:00 $ $Author: darrylo $
; Author:       Darryl Okahata
; Created:      Wed Apr 19 17:03:38 2000
; Modified:     Thu Apr  4 17:22:22 2002 (Darryl Okahata) darrylo@soco.agilent.com
; Language:     Emacs-Lisp

There was no emacs package for cscope in /usr/share/doc/cscope/contrib
as part of the Ubuntu distro.

> If you can be more specific I can try to reproduce it on my box and we can
> compare the results.
>
> Have you given gtags a shot?

Oh no :) Another tool :( So far I have etags, ctags, semantic &
senator and now cscope.

A quick google shows gtags to be a faster etags : tags are already fast
enough just not powerful enough. Semantic is just plain buggy and doesn't
seem to have half the options you might need for code navigation.

cscope is the way as far as I can see, if I can find out which of the
many .el packages I should be using.

Thanks for any help.

> Toto

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-04 14:43     ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-12-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hadron> Do you have the entire kernel cscope'd? I use xcscope.

    Hadron> What cscope.el or equivalent do you use? I use xcscope.el. There are
    Hadron> lots of versions around. This was the first one I tried which
    Hadron> worked:

    Hadron> ; File: xcscope.el RCS: $RCSfile: xcscope.el,v $ $Revision: 1.14 $
    Hadron> ; $Date: 2002/04/10 16:59:00 $ $Author: darrylo $ Description:
    Hadron> ; cscope interface for (X)Emacs Author: Darryl Okahata Created: Wed
    Hadron> ; Apr 19 17:03:38 2000 Modified: Thu Apr 4 17:22:22 2002 (Darryl
    Hadron> ; Okahata) darrylo@soco.agilent.com Language: Emacs-Lisp

    Hadron> There was no emacs package for cscope in
    Hadron> /usr/share/doc/cscope/contrib as part of the Ubuntu distro.

Hi,

I looked into your problem:

I use the same xcscope.el. And yes, doing so makes cscope *extremely* slow (> 20(0)
seconds respond time).

    >> If you can be more specific I can try to reproduce it on my box and we
    >> can compare the results.

Here is what I did:

I got the new kernel source 2.6.19, unzipped it into a directory and told
xcscope to generate it's files in this directory. I then searched for the global
definition of "adb_request":

---------------------------------------
Finding global definition: adb_request

Database directory: /home/toto/42/kernel-source/
*** linux-2.6.19/include/asm-m68k/adb.h:
adb_request[54]                struct adb_request {
adb_request[62]                void (*done)(struct adb_request *);

*** linux-2.6.19/include/linux/adb.h:
adb_request[45]                struct adb_request {
adb_request[53]                void (*done)(struct adb_request *);

*** /usr/include/linux/adb.h:
adb_request[45]                struct adb_request {
adb_request[53]                void (*done)(struct adb_request *);

Search complete.  Search time = 21.80 seconds.
---------------------------------------

Then I tried to be extremely clever and told xcscope (via customize) to make use
of my own version of cscope-indexer(.xxx) which added the "-k -q" options to the
cscope call: this enables "kernel mode" in which no other directories are
searched and "-q" creates two extra files which allows for a faster searching
algorithm to be used (as described in the cscope man page). I had to write a
wrapper script for cscope, too (cscope.xxx) to pass these options to all cscope
calls and customized emacs to actually use it ;-)

As reward for my troubles the searching times exploded to more than 200
seconds. Sigh.

Than I put on my thinking cap and realized that now the database was rebuild
*every* time before actually doing the look-up (although obviously no file had
*changed in the source tree).

Changing my wrapper scripts to include the "-d" option, which forces cscope
*not* to rebuild the database, search times went down to 0.5 seconds, which
is---in the emacs world---instantaneous :-)

---------------------------------------
Finding global definition: adb_request

Database directory: /home/toto/42/kernel-source/
*** linux-2.6.19/include/asm-m68k/adb.h:
adb_request[54]                struct adb_request {
adb_request[62]                void (*done)(struct adb_request *);

*** linux-2.6.19/include/linux/adb.h:
adb_request[45]                struct adb_request {
adb_request[53]                void (*done)(struct adb_request *);

Search complete.  Search time = 0.50 seconds.
---------------------------------------

See that the "-k" option prevented cscope from searching (and finding anything)
in "/usr/include/linux/adb.h".

So I think what's wrong with xscope.el is the "do I need to update the database"
algorithm.

Working with much smaller projects, the problem didn't occur to me up to now. I
will look into it.

You could start with

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CScopeAndEmacs

where the problem is mentioned and an alternative "bscope"
(http://groups.google.de/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_frm/thread/6e087f36c31336b8/92f00c90361f07da?lnk=st&q=bscope&rnum=1#92f00c90361f07da)
is mentioned (and which I should have read before trying out myself) ...

    >> Have you given gtags a shot?

    Hadron> Oh no :) Another tool :( So far I have etags, ctags, semantic &
    Hadron> senator and now cscope.

    Hadron> A quick google shows gtags to be a faster etags : tags are already
    Hadron> fast enough just not powerful enough. Semantic is just plain buggy
    Hadron> and doesn't seem to have half the options you might need for code
    Hadron> navigation.

    Hadron> cscope is the way as far as I can see, if I can find out which of
    Hadron> the many .el packages I should be using.

I like it best, too. About the only good thing coming from SCO these days ;-)

    Hadron> Thanks for any help.

Hope this helps...

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

[...] the dangerous role of the troublemakers in history has
often fallen to the Jewish people. Anne Frankly, it should be
noted, in passing, that a great deal of good for the advancement
of mankind has been accomplished between circumcision, where they
cut off the tip of your dick, to crucifixion, where they throw
the whole Jew away.

Friedman, Kinky (1995), "God Bless John Wayne", Simon and
Shuster, New York

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-04 16:31 ` Perry Smith
       [not found] ` <mailman.1509.1165249894.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-12-04 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

There is a -q flag to cscope.  WIthout that its pretty slow.

On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:40 AM, Hadron wrote:

> Anyone here using cscope/etags?
>
> I have used cscope-indexer to index my gtk headers and the linux
> kernel
> but it is unbelievably slow compared to using emacs tags
> functionality. Is this how it should be? Which of the many available
> cscope packages out there is the right one to use with
>
> ,----
> | GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
> bars) of
> | 2006-09-19 on rothera, modified by Debian
> `----

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-04 20:37       ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-12-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

      [...]

    Toto> So I think what's wrong with xscope.el is the "do I need to update the
    Toto> database" algorithm.

I made some additional tests which led to confusing results. Nevertheless I
think they are useful if somebody wants to tackle the original problem of
speeding up cscope for large projects as the linux kernel source.

1.) Trying to add the "-q" option to xcscope in my opinion is a step in the
    wrong direction: First of all I didn't manage to patch
    xcscope/cscope-indexer without performance going to hell, but then I tried
    using cscope *without* Emacs/xcscope and realised the following: If the
    database is build with the "-q" switch, after loading it cscope searches
    much faster in it compared to a database created without it, *but* exiting
    and restarting cscope would take much, much longer. Since xcscope.el uses
    cscope with the "one shot" option (-L), it has to restart and load the
    database for every search request: That is the reason why performance went
    down so badly.

2.) Trying to keep cscope running all the time (e.g. with the "-l" option) as
    discussed in the EmacsWiki
    (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CScopeAndEmacs) and put to test in
    bscope.el
    (http://groups.google.de/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/6e087f36c31336b8/92f00c90361f07da?hl=en)
    has the major drawback that the database is not updated between search
    requests. But in this case I have to compare search times to xcscope's
    behaviour when the `cscope-do-not-update-database' variable is set to a
    non-nil value (you can do this manually, via customise or in the "options"
    sub-menu of the xcscope menu): On my Athlon 700 box, searching for the
    global definition of a symbol took less than 2 seconds---in my opinion an
    acceptable time which should be even smaller on a more modern system.

So, the way I see it your best bet is to disable automatic updating of the
database and do it manually in your coffee breaks ;-)

GNU global/gtags supports incremental updates, is sporting a nice Emacs
interface with xgtags.el (http://home.tiscali.de/mgidde/source/xgtags.el)
but---alas---handles only the search for symbols, nothing fancy like cscope's
search for global definitions etc.

Hope that helps.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

You will pay for your sins. If you have already paid, please
disregard this message.

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
       [not found] ` <mailman.1509.1165249894.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-05 18:58   ` Hadron Quark
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1572.1165349985.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-05 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

> There is a -q flag to cscope.  WIthout that its pretty slow.

cscope? or cscope-indexer?

@ 2006-12-05 19:01         ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-05 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>       [...]
>
>     Toto> So I think what's wrong with xscope.el is the "do I need to update the
>     Toto> database" algorithm.
>
> I made some additional tests which led to confusing results. Nevertheless I
> think they are useful if somebody wants to tackle the original problem of
> speeding up cscope for large projects as the linux kernel source.

Firstly thanks for the help-

> 1.) Trying to add the "-q" option to xcscope in my opinion is a step in the
>     wrong direction: First of all I didn't manage to patch
>     xcscope/cscope-indexer without performance going to hell, but then I tried
>     using cscope *without* Emacs/xcscope and realised the following: If the
>     database is build with the "-q" switch, after loading it cscope searches
>     much faster in it compared to a database created without it, *but* exiting
>     and restarting cscope would take much, much longer. Since xcscope.el uses
>     cscope with the "one shot" option (-L), it has to restart and load the
>     database for every search request: That is the reason why performance went
>     down so badly.
>
> 2.) Trying to keep cscope running all the time (e.g. with the "-l" option) as
>     discussed in the EmacsWiki
>     (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CScopeAndEmacs) and put to test in
>     bscope.el
>     (http://groups.google.de/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/6e087f36c31336b8/92f00c90361f07da?hl=en)

Is there an easy way to use bscope with all the cscope keybindings?

>     has the major drawback that the database is not updated between search
>     requests. But in this case I have to compare search times to xcscope's
>     behaviour when the `cscope-do-not-update-database' variable is set to a
>     non-nil value (you can do this manually, via customise or in the "options"
>     sub-menu of the xcscope menu): On my Athlon 700 box, searching for the
>     global definition of a symbol took less than 2 seconds---in my opinion an
>     acceptable time which should be even smaller on a more modern system.
>
> So, the way I see it your best bet is to disable automatic updating of the
> database and do it manually in your coffee breaks ;-)
>
> GNU global/gtags supports incremental updates, is sporting a nice Emacs
> interface with xgtags.el (http://home.tiscali.de/mgidde/source/xgtags.el)
> but---alas---handles only the search for symbols, nothing fancy like cscope's
> search for global definitions etc.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Toto

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-05 20:19     ` Perry Smith
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1572.1165349985.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-12-05 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

cscope.  To make the db I use -q.  To invoke it via emacs, I use -q
and -d:

        -d     Do not update the cross-reference.

        -q     Enable  fast  symbol  lookup  via an inverted index.
This option
               causes  cscope  to  create   2   more   files
(default   names
               ``cscope.in.out'' and ``cscope.po.out'') in addition
to the nor-
               mal database. This allows a faster symbol search
algorithm  that
               provides   noticeably   faster   lookup  performance
for  large
               projects.

@ 2006-12-05 21:37           ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-12-05 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hadron> Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

    >> 2.) Trying to keep cscope running all the time (e.g. with the "-l"
    >> option) as discussed in the EmacsWiki
    >> (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CScopeAndEmacs) and put to test in
    >> bscope.el
    >> (http://groups.google.de/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/6e087f36c31336b8/92f00c90361f07da?hl=en)

    Hadron> Is there an easy way to use bscope with all the cscope keybindings?

No, because bscope lacks most of the functionality of cscope. So it is not just
a matter of rebinding keys.

But my tests with bscope weren't much faster than running xcscope without
updating the database (which bscope does not do, too). So I would recommend that
you compare that on your machine first.

There is a *new* cscope.el out there
(http://www.mail-archive.com/gnu-emacs-sources@gnu.org/msg00205.html) which
doesn't need an additional bash script and looks promising. Gave it a quick look
and it could not open some of the files it showed as search results on my XEmacs.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

It was a nice neighborhood. If you liked neighborhoods.

Friedman, Kinky (1993), A case of Lone Star. New York (Wings Books),
302

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
@ 2006-12-05 22:37         ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-05 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

>     requests. But in this case I have to compare search times to xcscope's
>     behaviour when the `cscope-do-not-update-database' variable is set to a
>     non-nil value (you can do this manually, via customise or in the "options"

I set this to true and *bing* : fast enough. Thank you for your patient help.

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1572.1165349985.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-05 22:39       ` Hadron Quark
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1581.1165365122.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-05 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

> cscope.  To make the db I use -q.  To invoke it via emacs, I use -q
> and -d:
>
>        -d     Do not update the cross-reference.
>
>        -q     Enable  fast  symbol  lookup  via an inverted

Just for thread completeness, how do you add these options when inviking
cscope from emacs? How are you accessing cscope from emacs? Which el
package do you use?

@ 2006-12-06  0:31         ` Perry Smith
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1581.1165365122.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-12-06  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 5, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:
>
>> cscope.  To make the db I use -q.  To invoke it via emacs, I use -q
>> and -d:
>>
>>        -d     Do not update the cross-reference.
>>
>>        -q     Enable  fast  symbol  lookup  via an inverted
>
> Just for thread completeness, how do you add these options when
> inviking
> cscope from emacs? How are you accessing cscope from emacs? Which el
> package do you use?

Well, its a long story.  I created my own cscope.el back in 1990.
I'm happy to share it
but it has lots of weird twisted gunk in it.  I have the concept of
an "inherited buffer".  Each
buffer has a buffer local variable that points back to its inherited
buffer.  In this way,
different buffers can use different cscope's and not get confused
between them.  At the
time, there was a lot of other things that were inherited besides
just the cscope information
(like build information and that sort of thing).

I also have a script called cscope-front (I've appended it to the
bottom).  I doubt if it
will do you much good either except just as a thought of calling
cscope via a script
and then that script can add and subtract arguments based upon a
number of
variables.  This keeps the lisp code simpler -- I was more
comfortable writing shell
scripts than lisp code at the time.

I create the cscope database via make.  The makefile creates a list
of files called cscope.files,
(usually based upon various make variables), then it calls cscope as:

cscope -q -b

(The cscope I'm using defaults to looking in cscope.files for the
list of files.)

 From emacs, I call cscope-front (using my cscope.el routines).  As
you can see, the script
has debug output to /tmp/doggy.  Here are some sample lines from doggy:

/home/pedz/Eclipse/SATA/src
a='' p='/home/pedz/Eclipse/SATA/src'
/usr/local/bin/cscope -d -q -l -P /home/pedz/Eclipse/SATA/src -f
cscope.out

The last line is all the args I use to call cscope with.

Hopefully, something in here will be useful to you.

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
#
# First arg is the string to pass to setup, second arg is the
# directory where the cscope should behave from
#
a=$1
p=$( echo $2 | sed -e 's%/$%%' )
CSCOPE=/usr/local/bin/cscope

shift
shift

/bin/pwd >>  /tmp/doggy
echo "a='$a' p='$p'" >> /tmp/doggy
if [ -n "$a" ] ; then
   source ~/.setup $a
fi
#
# DFS permissions are weird and I can execute things even though the
# file system says I can not.  So I only check to see if the file
# exists or not.
#
if [ -e cscope/bin/cscope ] ; then
   CSCOPE=cscope/bin/cscope
elif [ -e ../cscope/bin/cscope ] ; then
   CSCOPE=../cscope/bin/cscope
elif [ -e ../../cscope/bin/cscope ] ; then
   CSCOPE=../../cscope/bin/cscope
fi

echo $CSCOPE -d -q -l -P "$p" "$@" >> /tmp/doggy
exec $CSCOPE -d -q -l -P "$p" "$@" 2>>/tmp/doggy
# echo $CSCOPE -q -l -P "'$p'" "$@" >> /tmp/doggy
# exec $CSCOPE -q -l -P "'$p'" "$@" 2>> /tmp/doggy
# echo $CSCOPE -q -l >> /tmp/doggy
# $CSCOPE -q -l 2>> /tmp/doggy

# /afs/austin/aix/project/aix41C/cscope/bin/cscope -d -q -l \
#	-f /afs/austin/aix/project/aix41C/cscope/bos.db
#
#	-P /afs/austin/aix/project/aix41C/build/base

* Re: OT:cscope/tags
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1581.1165365122.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-06  1:32           ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-06  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:
>>
>>> cscope.  To make the db I use -q.  To invoke it via emacs, I use -q
>>> and -d:
>>>
>>>        -d     Do not update the cross-reference.
>>>
>>>        -q     Enable  fast  symbol  lookup  via an inverted
>>
>> Just for thread completeness, how do you add these options when
>> inviking
>> cscope from emacs? How are you accessing cscope from emacs? Which el
>> package do you use?
>
> Well, its a long story.  I created my own cscope.el back in 1990.  I'm
> happy to share it
> but it has lots of weird twisted gunk in it.  I have the concept of an
> "inherited buffer".  Each
> buffer has a buffer local variable that points back to its inherited
> buffer.  In this way,
> different buffers can use different cscope's and not get confused
> between them.  At the

Can you expand on this? I dont understand.

Did you try xcscope previously referenced? With auto database update
turned off, it works great.

@ 2006-12-06  3:19             ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-12-06  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 5, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

>>> Just for thread completeness, how do you add these options when
>>> inviking
>>> cscope from emacs? How are you accessing cscope from emacs? Which el
>>> package do you use?
>>
>> Well, its a long story.  I created my own cscope.el back in 1990.
>> I'm
>> happy to share it
>> but it has lots of weird twisted gunk in it.  I have the concept
>> of an
>> "inherited buffer".  Each
>> buffer has a buffer local variable that points back to its inherited
>> buffer.  In this way,
>> different buffers can use different cscope's and not get confused
>> between them.  At the
>
> Can you expand on this? I dont understand.

I was working on debugging the entire OS.  Once at Tandem, the other
at IBM.  At the time,
it was not practical to have one cscope database for the entire OS.
So I had separate cscope
files for the particular areas I would be working in.  So if I was
editing a group of files down the
path /a/b/c/d which had a cscope database in d, then all the files in
d would point back to the cscope
buffer using the database in d.  At the same time, I might be editing
and looking at files down the
path /u/v/w/x which would have its own separate cscope db.  All the
files in x would point back to
the cscope buffer using the db in x.  I could look at various things
in separate files and do
symbol lookups, etc.  There was also the problem of various build
versions of the OS.  Again, I could
have separate db's in the various directories so foodog.h from build
1 would look at the cscope
db file from build 1 while foodog.h from build 2 would look at the
cscope db from build 2.  This
is also where I had "inherited" buffer local variables.  So if I did
a make in foodog.h of build 1, it
would use the proper commands for build level 1.

> Did you try xcscope previously referenced? With auto database update
> turned off, it works great.

I like what I have very much except that cscope does not actually
truly understand C++ so
it can not really find me all the references to a particular method
of a particular class.