On 09/09/2007, Peter Dyballa wrote: > > Am 09.09.2007 um 16:29 schrieb Dave Pawson: > > > (packaged in Debian). > > Ditto, no mention of a debian package. > > There are volunteers on the net that provide lists of packages of > this or that format for this or that flavour or version of some Linux > distribution. Do you have an idea how many GNU Emacs packages of only > one GNU Emacs version might exist? Please don't infer what I have not written. I stated that the document was incorrect. What inferences you make is your issue. If you wish to tell readers to seek a package for the fonts, say so. It is factually wrong. > > > > General comment re fonts: No intimation of how emacs finds fonts, > > nor how they should be installed, either within the emacs code > > or how they are accessed from the system font locations. > > X11. Unless otherwise stated (MS Windows variants, Mac OS variants, > GEM, AmigaOS ... "Unicode Emacs"). This information is omitted from the document. It would be helpful IMHO. > > > > > If you don't want X support, specify `--with-x=no'. If you omit this > > option, `configure' will try to figure out for itself whether your > > system has X, and arrange to use it if present. > > > > Not strictly true? X is only used if the dev libraries are present? > > My (as built) system had X, but no dev libraries. > > There are no dev libraries, at least I haven't found any, except when > built for a special purpose (profiled, with extended debug content, > for static linkage). Libraries are mostly shared libraries that are > loaded once into memory and then used by a handful of programmes or > applications at the same or at a different time. The document tells half a tale. I'd suggest that the user needs to be informed that 'some' libraries are needed for X support. > > > > quote. > > To get more attractive menus, you can specify an X toolkit when you > > configure Emacs; use the option `--with-x-toolkit=TOOLKIT', > > > > Is that the whole story? Isn't it for more than 'attractive menus'? > > I.e. since there is no default (mentioned in INSTALL) am I right > > in thinking I'll build the nox version without this option? > > There aren't so many other differences visible. Now that you know how > to get and install necessary packages and how to configure and > compile GNU Emacs you can create variants based on GTK, OSF/Motif > (Lesstif), without Xaw3d, or using OpenLook (from Sun) ... "Now that I know" being the operative phrase? I'm reviewing this as a user who doesn't know, I.e. as I first came to it. > > > > > Says, Use --without-sound to disable sound support. > > No mention of the --with-sound=yes option that was mentioned > > by a couple of people? > > ./configure --help gives a helpful general hint that --with- > something=no can mean the same as --without-something. A look inside > the configure script, or running it as in 'sh -x ./configure ...' can > give some insight. Again my comment was against the document. It informs of a negative option. IMHO it should document the positive one too to inform the user. There is no mention of, for instance, we expect you to be familiar with configure options. > > > > > quote. > > If the description of the system configuration printed by `configure' > > is not right, or if it claims some of the features or libraries are > > not > > available when you know they are, look at the `config.log' file for > > the trace of the failed tests performed by `configure' to check > > whether these features are supported. > > > > This doesn't cover the case where the libraries are missing? > > It does. My experience is that it does not. > > > Perhaps a note to indicate, for instance, what to look for > > when configure failed to find a library? > > This is exactly indicated by configure's use of a set of two letters: > 'no.' I'd suggest the caveat is 'if you've been there and done that'. Interpreting the no is a whole new ball game. > > > Or even a simple statement, that, for instance 'nox will be built, > > since no X headers found' or some such? > > That's as clear as in 'when the sun is not found shining, it's not > bright outside.' Then it's night (mostly). A natural state. (The > other case is a natural state, too.) In which case tell the user what the 'natural state' is. > > Does this mean that having built it, I can delete SOURCE-DIR > > completely? > > ... it is needed. The compiler reads the C source files from the > original directory and only puts its output into the new side > directory. (Carbon Emacs for Mac OS X won't be compiled because the > free Darwin OS does not contain the proprietary Carbon API. Darwin > uses X11 as windowing system.) But post make it can be deleted? Space saver? Unclear IMHO > > > > quote. > > 7) Run `make' in the top directory of the Emacs distribution > > This isn't true if I've run configure from another directory? > > Suggest "Run 'make' from the directory in which you ran 'configure'" > > > > Somehow 'going to school' also includes visiting a college – at least > in the U.S.A. The document is incorrect and has nowt to do with the us. > > > It would make more sense to describe how to create a (local) package > from the compiled software. Possibly. I wouldn't know Peter. -- Dave Pawson XSLT XSL-FO FAQ. http://www.dpawson.co.uk