all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs load time, font selection delay.
@ 2007-08-21  9:46 Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2007-08-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emac

The load time for emacs has risen sharply since ( I think) 22.1 upgrade).

Today I stripped out my .emacs and started again.

The culprit seems to be my font selection?

(set-default-font
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1") takes
about 12 seconds to load

(set-default-font "fontset-standard") ;;  takes about 5 secs

I really don't recall there being any significant delay prior to this?
It seemed to load
instantaneously?
Its more of a nuisance than anything, but I am curious if something
has changed.

Any suggestions please?

TIA

--