all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs load time, font selection delay.
@ 2007-08-21  9:46 Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2007-08-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emac

The load time for emacs has risen sharply since ( I think) 22.1 upgrade).

Today I stripped out my .emacs and started again.

The culprit seems to be my font selection?

(set-default-font
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1") takes
about 12 seconds to load

(set-default-font "fontset-standard") ;;  takes about 5 secs

I really don't recall there being any significant delay prior to this?
It seemed to load
instantaneously?
Its more of a nuisance than anything, but I am curious if something
has changed.

Any suggestions please?

TIA

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

* Re: Emacs load time, font selection delay.
       [not found] <mailman.5034.1187689620.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-21 10:13 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-08-21 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

> The load time for emacs has risen sharply since ( I think) 22.1 upgrade).
>
> Today I stripped out my .emacs and started again.
>
> The culprit seems to be my font selection?
>
> (set-default-font
> "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1") takes
> about 12 seconds to load

Does this help?

    ** Emacs pauses for several seconds when changing the default font.

    This has been reported for fvwm 2.2.5 and the window manager of KDE
    2.1.  The reason for the pause is Xt waiting for a ConfigureNotify
    event from the window manager, which the window manager doesn't send.
    Xt stops waiting after a default timeout of usually 5 seconds.

    A workaround for this is to add something like

    emacs.waitForWM: false

    to your X resources.  Alternatively, add `(wait-for-wm . nil)' to a
    frame's parameter list, like this:

       (modify-frame-parameters nil '((wait-for-wm . nil)))

    (this should go into your `.emacs' file).

,----[ C-h k C-h C-e ]

`----

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Emacs load time, font selection delay.
@ 2007-08-21 10:58   ` Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2007-08-21 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Bockgård; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs