all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-21 16:42 Rodrigo Lazo
From: Rodrigo Lazo @ 2009-02-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
have a buffer with the following expression

2 + 3

I want to mark the region and compute the result

2 + 3 = 5

It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
"computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.

Regards

--

Rodrigo Lazo (rlazo)

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
       [not found] <mailman.1378.1235234577.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-21 19:08 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-02-21 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodrigo Lazo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
> have a buffer with the following expression
>
> 2 + 3
>
> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>
> 2 + 3 = 5
>
> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>
> Regards

Bind the calculator-save-and-quit function to a key-chord. I use
C-<enter>. Then the same combo will copy result to kill-ring and exit
(that is, kill calc buffer). C-y will paste result into buffer from
which the calculator was invoked. If you don't like this solution, you
can open a line in a buffer in any mode and then evaluate the lisp
expression on that line

(+ 2 3) C-x C-e

shows 5 in the mini-buffer.

Ed

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-21 19:50   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-02-21 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Rodrigo Lazo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>
>> 2 + 3
>>
>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>
>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>
>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> Bind the calculator-save-and-quit function to a key-chord. I use
> C-<enter>. Then the same combo will copy result to kill-ring and exit
> (that is, kill calc buffer). C-y will paste result into buffer from
> which the calculator was invoked. If you don't like this solution, you
> can open a line in a buffer in any mode and then evaluate the lisp
> expression on that line
>
> (+ 2 3) C-x C-e
>
> shows 5 in the mini-buffer.
Also,

C-u M-x eshell-command RET (+ 2 3) RET

will insert the result (5) at point in current buffer.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

@ 2009-02-21 22:53 ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-02-21 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodrigo Lazo schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
> have a buffer with the following expression
>
> 2 + 3
>
> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>
> 2 + 3 = 5
>
> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.

Try with embeded mode of calc: C-x * E (no need to mark the region)
and similar commands (J or W in place of E). You need to type C-x * E
again to exit the embeded mode.

Another solution:

  - mark the region with math expression and put it into kill-ring (M-w)
  - type SPC = SPC
  - run the calc (C-x * c)
  - type ' (apostrophe) and yank yor math expression (C-y)
  - type RET
  - type y (or C-x * y) to copy the result into buffer
  - exit calc (q)

regards
marc

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-21 23:37   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-02-21 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marc Tfardy <m-t-o___CUT__IT@web.de> writes:

> Rodrigo Lazo schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>
>> 2 + 3
>>
>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>
>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>
>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>
> Try with embeded mode of calc: C-x * E (no need to mark the region)
> and similar commands (J or W in place of E). You need to type C-x * E
> again to exit the embeded mode.
>

> Another solution:
>
>  - mark the region with math expression and put it into kill-ring (M-w)
>  - type SPC = SPC
>  - run the calc (C-x * c)
>  - type ' (apostrophe) and yank yor math expression (C-y)
>  - type RET
>  - type y (or C-x * y) to copy the result into buffer
>  - exit calc (q)
>

> regards
> marc

You might consider using "anything". There is a plugin
"anything-c-source-calculation-result".

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Anything
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/init-anything.el

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

@ 2009-02-22 12:45 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2009-02-22 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 21, 11:42 am, Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
> have a buffer with the following expression
>
> 2 + 3
>
> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>
> 2 + 3 = 5
>
> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.

(defun my-calc-result (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
  (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-22 14:30   ` Rodrigo Lazo
From: Rodrigo Lazo @ 2009-02-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 21, 11:42 am, Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>
>> 2 + 3
>>
>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>
>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>
>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>>

> (defun my-calc-result (beg end)
>   (interactive "r")
>   (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))

Excellent! that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot
--

@ 2009-02-22 17:16   ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-02-22 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Scott Frazer schrieb:
> On Feb 21, 11:42 am, Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>
>> 2 + 3
>>
>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>
>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>
>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>>

> (defun my-calc-result (beg end)
>   (interactive "r")
>   (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))

Great! Much more elegant than my last attempt:

(defun my-calc-result2 (beg end)
   (interactive "r")
   (insert " = " (number-to-string (apply 'eval (math-read-exprs
(buffer-substring beg end))))))

regards
marc

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-24 15:25 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-02-24 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Tfardy; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   > (defun my-calc-result (beg end)
   >   (interactive "r")
   >   (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))

   Great! Much more elegant than my last attempt:

   (defun my-calc-result2 (beg end)
      (interactive "r")
      (insert " = " (number-to-string (apply 'eval (math-read-exprs
   (buffer-substring beg end))))))

This works partially and insert the result in the wrong place if
you mark the region in the inverse order -i.e beg is end and end
is beg.

Regards,
	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-24 23:20   ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2009-02-24 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 21, 11:42 am, Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>
>> 2 + 3
>>
>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>
>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>
>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>>

> (defun my-calc-result (beg end)
>   (interactive "r")
>   (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))
This makes me wonder, is there a rewriter of math expressions,
something like a macro that can rewrite the arithmetic expression as
regular lisp function calls?

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-24 23:29     ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-02-24 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chetan schrieb:
> Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Feb 21, 11:42 am, Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>>
>>> 2 + 3
>>>
>>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>>
>>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>>
>>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>>>
>> (defun my-calc-result (beg end)
>>   (interactive "r")
>>   (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))

> This makes me wonder, is there a rewriter of math expressions,
> something like a macro that can rewrite the arithmetic expression as
> regular lisp function calls?

Yes. See my last post before. The call:

(math-read-exprs "2 + 3")

gives:

((+ 2 3))

This was my attempt in my version of my-calc-result.

reagrds
Marc

* Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
@ 2009-02-25  0:22       ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2009-02-25  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marc Tfardy <m-t-o___CUT__IT@web.de> writes:

> Chetan schrieb:
>> Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (defun my-calc-result (beg end)
>>>   (interactive "r")
>>>   (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))
>
>> This makes me wonder, is there a rewriter of math expressions,
>> something like a macro that can rewrite the arithmetic expression as
>> regular lisp function calls?
>
> Yes. See my last post before. The call:
>
> (math-read-exprs "2 + 3")
>
> gives:
>
> ((+ 2 3))
>
> This was my attempt in my version of my-calc-result.
>
> reagrds
> Marc
I was thinking more like
(expr 2 + 3 + value) => (+ 2 3 value)
or (expr a + b * c) => (+ a (* b c))
which is, perhaps, simpler than reading from a string.