all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* select large text with mouse
@ 2008-06-08  1:26 imputerate
       [not found] ` <mailman.12913.1212952149.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-08  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ubuntu [hardy]
 emacs: 22.1-0ubuntu10
   gnus: 5.11+v0.5.dfsg
slackware [12.0]
 emacs: 22.2-i486-1

i can't get my logitech wheelmouse to select any more text from an
emacs
buffer [in xterm/konsole] than appears on the screen at one time;

when the mouse button is pressed, neither down-arrow, page-down, nor
scroll down will give the mouse access to text below the screen;

i know that i can
 1/ select the entire buffer with 'mark-whole-buffer' and then
 2/ 'append-to-file', and then
 3/ 'insert-file'

when i'm moving among files on one machine;

        [now that i think of it, didn't i used to be able to mark text
in one emacs session and paste it into another session, say in another
xterm? i can't now;]

AND, i can set up an ssh/screen/emacs buffer for copying and pasting
which shows up on two machines at once;

BUT, because i'm limited to selecting only one screen at a time, this
often entails scp'ing an "inserted" file from one machine to another
[too much trouble];

so, is there a way to let the mouse select more than a screen at a
time
from an emacs buffer?

thanks, imputerate

* Re: select large text with mouse
@ 2008-06-08 18:28 ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found] ` <mailman.12913.1212952149.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-08 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: imputerate; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

imputerate <imputerate@gmail.com> writes:

> ubuntu [hardy]
>  emacs: 22.1-0ubuntu10
>    gnus: 5.11+v0.5.dfsg
> slackware [12.0]
>  emacs: 22.2-i486-1
>
> i can't get my logitech wheelmouse to select any more text from an
> emacs
> buffer [in xterm/konsole] than appears on the screen at one time;

You're using the selection method of the terminal emulator program, not
Emacs.  Either use the keyboard to select --- which will select in
Emacs, or use the style from the terminal program.  For example, in
xterm (the one and only), use Mouse-1 to mark and Mouse-3 to select,
Mouse-2 to paste.  In other words, click where you want your selection
to start, scroll to where you want it to end, and click Mouse-3.

Of course, this won't work in Emacs in a terminal emulator.  Is there a
reason you're not using the X interface?  Because you're ssh'ing in to a
remote server?

Check out Multi-TTY, available in CVS Emacs.

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109

@ 2008-06-10  5:09   ` imputerate
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13030.1213149142.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-10  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 8, 1:28 pm, adams...@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
> imputerate <imputer...@gmail.com> writes:
> > ubuntu [hardy]
> >  emacs: 22.1-0ubuntu10
> >    gnus: 5.11+v0.5.dfsg
> > slackware [12.0]
> >  emacs: 22.2-i486-1
>
> > i can't get my logitech wheelmouse to select any more text from an
> > emacs
> > buffer [in xterm/konsole] than appears on the screen at one time;
>
> You're using the selection method of the terminal emulator program, not
> Emacs.  Either use the keyboard to select --- which will select in
> Emacs, or use the style from the terminal program.  For example, in
> xterm (the one and only), use Mouse-1 to mark and Mouse-3 to select,
> Mouse-2 to paste.  In other words, click where you want your selection
> to start, scroll to where you want it to end, and click Mouse-3.
>
> Of course, this won't work in Emacs in a terminal emulator.  Is there a
> reason you're not using the X interface?  Because you're ssh'ing in to a
> remote server?
>
> Check out Multi-TTY, available in CVS Emacs.
>
> Joel
> --
> Joel J. Adamson
> (303) 880-3109
> Public key:http://pgp.mit.edu
> Homepage:http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
> Please readhttp://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj/roe.html

thanks, joel;
  first off, the tty problem is trivial, so i'll get to it later;
  i assume ubuntu hardy loads xterm by default;
  i press mouse-1 to mark, but when i press mouse-2 to select, i get a
menu of things to do in the window;
 i'm looking into reconfiguring my mouse;

@ 2008-06-10 17:08     ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13030.1213149142.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-10 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: imputerate; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

imputerate <imputerate@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 8, 1:28 pm, adams...@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
> thanks, joel;
>   first off, the tty problem is trivial, so i'll get to it later;
>   i assume ubuntu hardy loads xterm by default;

I have reason to believe otherwise ;)  It's probably Gnome Terminal.
Gnome Terminal and Konsole are not Xterm, they are replacements for it.

>   i press mouse-1 to mark, but when i press mouse-2 to select,

Mouse-2 (middle button) pastes in X.  In xterm mouse-3 will close the
selection.  In Gnome terminal, mouse-3 gives me a menu (did mean to say
mouse-3?).

> i get a menu of things to do in the window; i'm looking into
> reconfiguring my mouse; imputerate

That shouldn't be necessary; try xterm, it's highly configurable.

Joel

--

@ 2008-06-13  4:27       ` imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-13  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 10, 12:08 pm, adams...@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:

> Gnome Terminal and Konsole are not Xterm, they are replacements for it.

 joel; your support has encouraged me to take a much broader approach
customizing my emacs environment, what i call my "braincoat";

 first i want to fix it so i use only the bash shell and only the
xterm
terminal emulator, no matter which defaults are set for the os or
window
manager i'm dealing with;

next i'll avoid using emacs -nw, by using not vanilla ssh, but,
instead,
ssh -X [X forwarding; NB speed is not an issue for me];

 i'll log my progress with each step in the next couple of days;
thanks
again, imputerate

* Re: select large text with mouse
@ 2008-06-13 21:18         ` imputerate
       [not found]           ` <mailman.13226.1213413853.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-13 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>  first i want to fix it so i use only the bash shell and only the
> xterm
> terminal emulator, no matter which defaults are set for the os or
> window
> manager i'm dealing with;

>  i'll log my progress with each step in the next couple of days;
> thanks
> again,imputerate

o.k. already i've run into problems;

i have fixed the alias lines in my various .bashrc's so emacs no
longer
loads emacs -nw in a terminal emulator;

as joel suggested i have shunted aside ubuntu's 'gnometerm' and
slackware's KDE konsole, in favor of xterm ("the one and only"):
  1. assigned xterm to convenient keyboard shortcut keys;
  2. placed icons on the workspace to load gnometerm and konsole, in
case that's ever necessary;

 bash is already the default shell in both cases, so now i have
xterm/bash as the setting for gui emacs, 'guimacs' [not Xemacs];

 BUT bash in xterm is not sourcing readline, on the ubuntu box, the
way
it did when gnometerm was the terminal emulator

[btw on the slackware box, it does];

this is  a problem:
  i have essential emacs keymappings in readline's config file, so
that
they will work on the bash command line; here are the relevant lines
from ~/.bashrc, and ~/.bash_profile:
   export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
   export INPUTRC=/home/hodgson/.inputrc

since i have these lines in both .bashrc and .bash_profile, they
should
work no matter how xterm invokes bash [i.e., as an interactive shell
(login or normal), or even non-interactive shell]; or so i understand;

SO, how do i get bash in xterm to behave the way bash in 'gnometerm'
did, i.e. so that i have my readline customizations on the command
line
in the bash shell?

i'll surely be back soon, as i plow through
the .Xresources, .Xdefaults
configurations for xterm and emacs;

should we start a new thread?

imputerate

* Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
@ 2008-06-14  3:19           ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]           ` <mailman.13226.1213413853.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-14  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: imputerate; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

imputerate <imputerate@gmail.com> writes:

>>  first i want to fix it so i use only the bash shell and only the
>> xterm
>> terminal emulator, no matter which defaults are set for the os or
>> window
>> manager i'm dealing with;
>
>>  i'll log my progress with each step in the next couple of days;
>> thanks
>> again,imputerate
>
> o.k. already i've run into problems;

[...]

Interesting you should have these problems, because I just switched to
bash last night and I ran into a little confusion myself.  I put "source
~/.profile" in my .bashrc to make sure that the environment was carried
over to a new xterm session.  Xterm should start with whatever your
default shell is (man chsh).

> this is  a problem:
>   i have essential emacs keymappings in readline's config file, so

So you mean you put your Emacs (the text editor) mappings into inputrc,
instead of into .emacs?  You should find that the default Emacs bindings
for bash are Emacs-y enough.

> since i have these lines in both .bashrc and .bash_profile, they
> should
> work no matter how xterm invokes bash [i.e., as an interactive shell
> (login or normal), or even non-interactive shell]; or so i understand;

Hmmm... this is a good question for a bash expert: I've spent a lot more
time studing how Z Shell loads its configuration, and as I said I've
just switched (back) to bash.

> SO, how do i get bash in xterm to behave the way bash in 'gnometerm'
> did, i.e. so that i have my readline customizations on the command
> line in the bash shell?

Have you tried an empty inputrc?

> i'll surely be back soon, as i plow through the .Xresources,
> .Xdefaults configurations for xterm and emacs;

X resources are not the only way to configure the Emacs display,
although they are the best I've found for setting the default face and
background.  Same goes in xterm: it's much better than putting "-fg
white -bg black -geometry..." in every desktop icon or making it an
alias.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109
Public key: http://pgp.mit.edu
Homepage: http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
Please read http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj/roe.html

* Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
       [not found]           ` <mailman.13226.1213413853.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-14  5:01             ` imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-14  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 13, 10:19 pm, adams...@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:

> imputerate <imputer...@gmail.com> writes:
> >>  first i want to fix it so i use only the bash shell and only the
> >> xterm
> >> terminal emulator, no matter which defaults are set for the os or
> >> window
> >> manager i'm dealing with;

joel replies:
> Interesting you should have these problems, because I just switched to
> bash last night and I ran into a little confusion myself.  I put "source
> ~/.profile" in my .bashrc to make sure that the environment was carried
> over to a new xterm session.  Xterm should start with whatever your
> default shell is (man chsh).

imputerate writes:
i put the line "source ~/.profile" in my .bashrc;
when i loaded xterm i got a blank screen with no login prompt;

here's the .profile file; notice that it also includes the "export..."
lines for
.inputrc:

~/.profile:
--------------snip----------------
# the default umask is set in /etc/profile
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
    # include .bashrc if it exists
    if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
    fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
    PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
export INPUTRC=/home/hodgson/.inputrc
--------------------------------------

imputerate had written:
> >   i have essential emacs keymappings in readline's config file,

joel answered:
> So you mean you put your Emacs (the text editor) mappings into inputrc,
> instead of into .emacs?  You should find that the default Emacs bindings
> for bash are Emacs-y enough.

imputerate replies:
 to clear up a point: i live in emacs with an elaborate set of
keyboard
customizations [inspired in part by the old Wordstar principle: use
geometry instead of mnemotics];

i have them set in my .emacs file;

i also put a small batch of them in .inputrc, so that i would have the
same experience writing on the command line as i do writing in an
emacs
buffer [i also write email messages in gnus];

so, i'm still up a tree about how to get xterm/bash to read .inputrc;

imputerate had written:
> > since i have these lines in both .bashrc and .bash_profile, they
> > should
> > work no matter how xterm invokes bash [i.e., as an interactive shell
> > (login or normal), or even non-interactive shell]; or so i understand;

joel replied:
> Hmmm... this is a good question for a bash expert: I've spent a lot more
> time studing how Z Shell loads its configuration, and as I said I've
> just switched (back) to bash.

imputerate:
 BUT the variable which has changed is not that my shell is bash, but
that my terminal emulator is xterm [instead of gnometerm];
   [NB on the slackware box, xterm/bash DOES retain the readline
customizations]

imputerate's initial plea:
> > SO, how do i get bash in xterm to behave the way bash in 'gnometerm'
> > did, i.e. so that i have my readline customizations on the command
> > line in the bash shell?

joel answered:
> Have you tried an empty inputrc?

imputerate:
if i take my eccentric customizations out of inputrc, then they will
only be in .emacs, which neither xterm nor bash is apt to read; is
this not so?

imputerate promised to:
>> plow through the .Xresources,
> > .Xdefaults configurations for xterm and emacs;

joel replied:
> X resources are not the only way to configure the Emacs display,
> although they are the best I've found for setting the default face and
> background.  Same goes in xterm: it's much better than putting "-fg
> white -bg black -geometry..." in every desktop icon or making it an
> alias.

imputerate writes:
yes; i think so too; i have only face and background for xterm and
emacs in .Xresources, but i wonder if .Xdefaults is also sourced by
some of xterm/bash, anyway for root.

can someone direct me to a discussion of the priorities which obtain
among all these config files; for, example, i understand from several
posts here and there that .Xresources preempts .emacs; thanks,
imputerate

* Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
@ 2008-06-14  5:39               ` imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-14  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> imputerate promised to:
>
> >> plow through the .Xresources,
> > > .Xdefaults configurations for xterm and emacs;
>
> joel replied:
>
> > X resources are not the only way to configure the Emacs display,
> > although they are the best I've found for setting the default face and
> > background.  Same goes in xterm: it's much better than putting "-fg
> > white -bg black -geometry..." in every desktop icon or making it an
> > alias.
> imputerate writes:
>
> yes; i think so too; i have only face and background for xterm and
> emacs in .Xresources, but i wonder if .Xdefaults is also sourced by
> some of xterm/bash, anyway for root.
>
> can someone direct me to a discussion of the priorities which obtain
> among all these config files; for, example, i understand from several
> posts here and there that .Xresources preempts .emacs; thanks,
> imputerate

update from imputerate:
 i just set, in .Xresources, a distinctive face for both emacs and
xterm. the face showed up in emacs, buy NOT in the xterm/bash window;
does that say something about who's telling  whom what to do? imp.

* Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
@ 2008-06-14 18:24               ` pturing
From: pturing @ 2008-06-14 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
> export INPUTRC=/home/hodgson/.inputrc
> --------------------------------------

A couple things to note here:

* Each of these export INPUTRC=foo lines is setting the INPUTRC
variable, so the second one overwrites the value set by the first one.
* You should not need either of these lines, since programs using
readline will know to read in from the .inputrc file in your home
directory by default
* I think if you do have an .inputrc in your home directory, any
entries in /etc/inputrc will not get read

* Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
@ 2008-06-14 18:29               ` pturing
From: pturing @ 2008-06-14 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> i put the line "source ~/.profile" in my .bashrc;
> when i loaded xterm i got a blank screen with no login prompt;
>
> here's the .profile file; notice that it also includes the "export..."
> lines for
> .inputrc:
>
> ~/.profile:
> --------------snip----------------
> # the default umask is set in /etc/profile
> #umask 022
>
> # if running bash
> if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
>     # include .bashrc if it exists
>     if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
>         . ~/.bashrc
>     fi
> fi

Your .profile already has a line that loads .bashrc. A period at the
beginning of a line is the same as source. So you have your .profile
calling .bashrc and your .bashrc calling .profile, which means its in
an infinite loop, so that's why you got a blank screen.

* Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
@ 2008-06-15  7:49                 ` imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-15  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 14, 1:24 pm, pturing <ptur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
> > export INPUTRC=/home/hodgson/.inputrc
> > --------------------------------------
>
> A couple things to note here:
>
> * Each of these export INPUTRC=foo lines is setting the INPUTRC
> variable, so the second one overwrites the value set by the first one.
> * You should not need either of these lines, since programs using
> readline will know to read in from the .inputrc file in your home
> directory by default
> * I think if you do have an .inputrc in your home directory, any
> entries in /etc/inputrc will not get read

from pturing's next post:

Your .profile already has a line that loads .bashrc. A period at the
beginning of a line is the same as source. So you have your .profile
calling .bashrc and your .bashrc calling .profile, which means its in
an infinite loop, so that's why you got a blank screen.

imputerate replies:

i can't find a line in .bashrc which calls .profile, but anyway...

taking in all four of pturing's points together:
 i got rid of .profile, and /etc/inputrc;
 then i commented out both 'export INPUTRC' lines in .bashrc;
 when loaded Xterm/bash: the Readline customizations weren't active;

realizing that the line 'export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc' WAS active in
the
.bashrc on the slackware box [where Readline IS active], i restored
that
line to my .bashrc on the ubuntu box: the customized keystrokes
delivered characters with
diacritical marks, like e with ` or ' on top [these are part of the
font
i 've set in .Xresources: "Emacs*font:
-*-lucida-medium-*-*-*-*-240-*-*-*-*-iso10646-* "
 [a problem, anyway, because the spacing is proportional]

so, i commented out that line, and uncommented the export INPUTRC=/
home/hodgson/.inputrc line: this
time there were no weird characters, also no Readline stuff;

so, i restored the file, /etc/inputrc: same thing as before;

so, i restored the file  ~/.profile [with no 'export INPUTRC' lines]:
same;

it looks like i have to tell somebody, somewhere to source some form
of
Readline configuration; i'll keep trying; any ideas? imputerate