all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to use set-fill-column as a hook?
@ 2002-12-10 14:57 Adam
From: Adam @ 2002-12-10 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following in ~/.emacs:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I now want to set the fill-column differently for LaTeX files.

This doesn't do anything (I verified with C-h v that the value of
fill-column is 70, the default):
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook '('set-fill-column 100))

This gives an error when starting emacs:
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook ('set-fill-column 100))

What's the correct syntax?

Also, once I've done that, can I set it differently for mail-mode and
text-mode?

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: How to use set-fill-column as a hook?
@ 2002-12-10 14:59 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-10 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam <a24061@void.yahoo.void.com> writes:

> I have the following in ~/.emacs:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> I now want to set the fill-column differently for LaTeX files.
>
> This doesn't do anything (I verified with C-h v that the value of
> fill-column is 70, the default):
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook '('set-fill-column 100))
>
> This gives an error when starting emacs:
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook ('set-fill-column 100))
>
> What's the correct syntax?

(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 100)))

> Also, once I've done that, can I set it differently for mail-mode and
> text-mode?

Sure, just the same like above.  Of course, latex-mode also runs
text-mode-hook, but it might run it before latex-mode-hook.

* Re: How to use set-fill-column as a hook?
@ 2002-12-10 15:27   ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2002-12-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 14:59, David Kastrup wrote:

>> What's the correct syntax?
>
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 100)))
>
>> Also, once I've done that, can I set it differently for mail-mode and
>> text-mode?
>
> Sure, just the same like above.  Of course, latex-mode also runs
> text-mode-hook, but it might run it before latex-mode-hook.

OK, that's exactly what I wanted but things are occurring in the
wrong order. I now have the following in my .emacs file:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'html-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 100)))
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 60)))
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 80)))

When I start Emacs in *scratch*, fill-column = 70 (default). If I open a
text or LaTeX file, it changes to 80. If I "C-x m", it changes to 60.

So mail-mode is picking up turn-on-auto-fill from text-mode, but its own
set-fill-column is overriding that of text-mode.

But latex-mode's set-fill-column is being overridden by the text-mode-hook.
Any ideas on how to change that?

@ 2002-12-10 15:42 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-12-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try this, it worked for me.

(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda () (setq fill-column 100)))

Any mode that has a mode hook, all that I have seen do, can be set in a
similar manner.  Just specify the appropriate mode hook and the value
that you want the fill-column to be for the mode.
Individual mode customizations have to be done with a mode hook because
the variable fill-column becomes buffer local when it is set in any
manner.  Since the since the mode hooks get executed each time the mode
in invoked, i.e. each time a buffer is created in that mode or you
change a buffer to that mode.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

       [not found] <mailman.89.1039534939.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-11 12:43 ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2002-12-11 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 15:42, Bingham, Jay wrote:

> Try this, it worked for me.
>
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda () (setq fill-column 100)))
>
> Any mode that has a mode hook, all that I have seen do, can be set in a
> similar manner.  Just specify the appropriate mode hook and the value
> that you want the fill-column to be for the mode.
> Individual mode customizations have to be done with a mode hook because
> the variable fill-column becomes buffer local when it is set in any
> manner.  Since the since the mode hooks get executed each time the mode
> in invoked, i.e. each time a buffer is created in that mode or you
> change a buffer to that mode.

I've tried it but I also have
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
in ~/.emacs, and the value of fill-column inherited from text-mode is
overriding the value I'm trying to set for latex-mode. (I think that
latex-mode is running its own hooks _then_ the text-mode hooks.) I'd really
like to set them differently.

* RE: How to use set-fill-column as a hook?
@ 2002-12-11 14:52 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-12-11 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my .emacs I have:
(setq-default fill-column 75)
followed by:
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

When I evaluated
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda () (setq fill-column 100)))
in the scratch buffer then created a temporary buffer and switched to
latex mode I had no problems the fill column was set to 100.
You may be right about latex mode running text mode hooks.  If that is
the case then I would recommend setting the default fill-column to the
value you want for text-mode and adding hooks for the modes that you
want to have a different value.

Good luck
-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 15:42, Bingham, Jay wrote:

> Try this, it worked for me.
>
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda () (setq fill-column 100)))
>
> Any mode that has a mode hook, all that I have seen do, can be set in
> similar manner.  Just specify the appropriate mode hook and the value
> that you want the fill-column to be for the mode.
> Individual mode customizations have to be done with a mode hook
because
> the variable fill-column becomes buffer local when it is set in any
> manner.  Since the since the mode hooks get executed each time the
mode
> in invoked, i.e. each time a buffer is created in that mode or you
> change a buffer to that mode.

I've tried it but I also have

       [not found] <mailman.117.1039618386.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-11 19:05 ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2002-12-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 14:52, Bingham, Jay wrote:

> In my .emacs I have:
> (setq-default fill-column 75)
> followed by:
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> When I evaluated
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda () (setq fill-column 100)))
> in the scratch buffer then created a temporary buffer and switched to
> latex mode I had no problems the fill column was set to 100.
> You may be right about latex mode running text mode hooks.  If that is
> the case then I would recommend setting the default fill-column to the
> value you want for text-mode and adding hooks for the modes that you
> want to have a different value.

I've now got the following in .emacs:

(setq-default fill-column 70)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
;(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'html-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 100)))
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook (lambda() (set-fill-column 60)))

When I C-x C-f foo.txt and use C-h v to check fill-column, it says 75 (the
built-in default, I think)!. When I C-x C-f foo.tex, it's still 75. When I
C-x m, it changes to 60.

I think my Emacs must be behaving differently from yours! Is that possible?