all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wide reply in Gnus
@ 2006-12-22 17:38 Leo
       [not found] ` <uk60ju8de.fsf@gmail.com>
From: Leo @ 2006-12-22 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I read gmane news groups. When I want to reply to an article posted by
someone not subscribed, I want to write to him but also post to the
newsgroup. By default, 'S w' will generate in the mail buffer:

,----
| To: ***random@net.net>
| Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
`----

I subscribe to the list through gmane so directly posting to the list
will fail. Does any one see this problem and what's your solution? I
know Gnus is extremely powerful, so maybe there is already a function
to do it. TIA.

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
       [not found] ` <uk60ju8de.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2006-12-22 18:43   ` Leo
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2224.1166813033.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2006-12-22 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Shanks,

* Shanks N. (2006-12-22 23:21 +0530) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I read gmane news groups. When I want to reply to an article posted by
>> someone not subscribed, I want to write to him but also post to the
>> newsgroup. By default, 'S w' will generate in the mail buffer:
>>
>> ,----
>> | To: ***random@net.net>
>> | Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> `----
>>
>> I subscribe to the list through gmane so directly posting to the list
>> will fail. Does any one see this problem and what's your solution? I
>> know Gnus is extremely powerful, so maybe there is already a function
>> to do it. TIA.
>
> ummm....no it won't fail.  You'll get a mail from the gmane
> autoauthoriser if you're a first time poster to that NG.  You'll have
> to reply to that email.  And then on it'll silently post to the
> groups.  That's how I've been posting on the mailing lists.  Always
> through gmane.

The header in my example says CC to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, I'll be
surprised if I get the email from GMANE ;)

The problem is I have subscribed to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org through
gmane. However when I do wide reply, the email will go to the sender
and the help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org instead of the newsgroup
gmane.emacs.help.

> regards, Shanks

regards,

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2224.1166813033.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-23  8:49     ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2006-12-23  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Shanks,
>
> * Shanks N. (2006-12-22 23:21 +0530) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I read gmane news groups. When I want to reply to an article posted by
>>> someone not subscribed, I want to write to him but also post to the
>>> newsgroup. By default, 'S w' will generate in the mail buffer:
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> I subscribe to the list through gmane so directly posting to the list
>>> will fail. Does any one see this problem and what's your solution? I
>>> know Gnus is extremely powerful, so maybe there is already a function
>>> to do it. TIA.
>>
>> ummm....no it won't fail.  You'll get a mail from the gmane
>> autoauthoriser if you're a first time poster to that NG.  You'll have
>> to reply to that email.  And then on it'll silently post to the
>> groups.  That's how I've been posting on the mailing lists.  Always
>> through gmane.
>
> The header in my example says CC to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, I'll be
> surprised if I get the email from GMANE ;)
>
> The problem is I have subscribed to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org through
> gmane. However when I do wide reply, the email will go to the sender
> and the help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org instead of the newsgroup
> gmane.emacs.help.

You need to "followup" instead of "wide reply."  To try it out find a
message that you would like to reply to and instead of hitting "R" hit
"F."  This should do the right thing.

Jason

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
@ 2006-12-23 15:27       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jason Earl (2006-12-23 01:49 -0700) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^
>> The problem is I have subscribed to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org through
>> gmane. However when I do wide reply, the email will go to the
>> sender and the help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org instead of the newsgroup
>> gmane.emacs.help.
>
> You need to "followup" instead of "wide reply."  To try it out find
> a message that you would like to reply to and instead of hitting "R"
> hit "F."  This should do the right thing.

Thank you Jason.

That's what I do now. I type 'F' then manually add the CC to the
sender. I am looking for something automatically do those
things.

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
@ 2006-12-24  1:58         ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2006-12-24  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you Jason.
>
> That's what I do now. I type 'F' then manually add the CC to the
> sender. I am looking for something automatically do those
> things.

Motify gnus-posting-styles can be a solution. You can specify the 'Cc' header to none, the 'To' header to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, and better to change 'Reply-to' header the same as 'To' address.

But I don't think it's a native way. So... if someone got a better idea, please let me know. Thanks.

--
ssSslang

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
       [not found] ` <uk60ju8de.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2006-12-24  2:23 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.2294.1166927012.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2006-12-24  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry guys, let me re-phrase my awful English as follows. I have been
using Gnus for a year.

Let's say I am reading an article with a header like this:

,----[ Article header ]
| From: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
| Subject: Wide reply in Gnus
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
`----

Now I want to reply to this email. I want to send to the newsgroup and
also cc Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>.

I can hit 'F' to get a header like:

,----[ message followup header ]
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
| Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
`----

And manually add the cc field to get this:

,----[ CC field added manually ]
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
| CC: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
| Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
`----

What I am looking for is, is there something do those two steps
automatically?

Thank you all for help.

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
       [not found] ` <mailman.2294.1166927012.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-24 14:45   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry guys, let me re-phrase my awful English as follows. I have been
> using Gnus for a year.
>
> Let's say I am reading an article with a header like this:
>
> ,----[ Article header ]
> | From: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
> | Subject: Wide reply in Gnus
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> `----
>
> Now I want to reply to this email. I want to send to the newsgroup and
> also cc Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>.
>
> I can hit 'F' to get a header like:
>
> ,----[ message followup header ]
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> | Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
> `----
>
> And manually add the cc field to get this:
>
> ,----[ CC field added manually ]
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> | CC: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
> | Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
> `----
>
> What I am looking for is, is there something do those two steps
> automatically?
>
> Thank you all for help.

I had a look through and couldn't spot a way.

I would have thought it such a rare occurrence that it wasn't worth the
effort to be honest : and is probably why it is not done.

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
@ 2006-12-24 16:11   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-24 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 24 2006, Leo wrote:

> Let's say I am reading an article with a header like this:
>
> ,----[ Article header ]
> | From: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
> | Subject: Wide reply in Gnus
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> `----
>
> Now I want to reply to this email. I want to send to the newsgroup and
> also cc Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>.
>
> I can hit 'F' to get a header like:
>
> ,----[ message followup header ]
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> | Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
> `----
>
> And manually add the cc field to get this:
>
> ,----[ CC field added manually ]
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> | CC: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
> | Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
> `----
>
> What I am looking for is, is there something do those two steps
> automatically?

A drawback of using Newsgroups + Cc is that the recipient can't do a
proper wide reply unless he knows some details about Gmane.  When he
uses an MUA without NNTP support, the discussion will drift off to
private mail because the list corresponding to "Newsgroups"
(help-gnu-emacs in your example) is lost.

The best solution is to include "Original-To" in
`message-header-synonyms' use `S w':

,----
| To: Leo
| Cc: help-gnu-emacs
`----

See also: <http://thread.gmane.org/v9d5fu77qg.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: Gnus questions would be more suitable on gmane.emacs.gnus.user
      = gnu.emacs.gnus = info-gnus-english<at>gnu.org
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Wide reply in Gnus
@ 2006-12-24 17:53     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-24 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib (2006-12-24 17:11 +0100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> A drawback of using Newsgroups + Cc is that the recipient can't do a
> proper wide reply unless he knows some details about Gmane.  When he
> uses an MUA without NNTP support, the discussion will drift off to
> private mail because the list corresponding to "Newsgroups"
> (help-gnu-emacs in your example) is lost.
>
> The best solution is to include "Original-To" in
> `message-header-synonyms' use `S w':
>
> ,----
> | To: Leo
> | Cc: help-gnu-emacs
> `----
>
> See also:
> <http://thread.gmane.org/v9d5fu77qg.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
>
> Bye, Reiner.
>
> P.S.: Gnus questions would be more suitable on gmane.emacs.gnus.user
>       = gnu.emacs.gnus = info-gnus-english<at>gnu.org

Thank you for this wonderful explanation.