Hi, I did some testing, and the bug was not in tracker as I suspected, it's in scrolltobottom, in erc-goodies.el. This should be much easier for you to debug: it's only a few lines long. I strongly suspect the part following this comment is responsible : ;; Temporarily bind resize-mini-windows to nil so that users who have it ;; set to a non-nil value will not suffer from premature minibuffer ;; shrinkage due to the below recenter call. I have no idea why this ;; works, but it solves the problem, and has no negative side effects. ;; (Fran Litterio, 2003/01/07) Looks like it does have side effects after all :-) 2008/9/3 martin rudalics > CC-ing Keegan because Bug #466 describes another problem with ERC and > windows. > > >> There is a bug when using conjointly these two features. Here are the > >> relevant portions of configuration : > >> > >> ;;make ibuffer resize itself to its buffer size > >> (setq ibuffer-use-other-window t) > >> (setq ibuffer-default-shrink-to-minimum-size t) > >> > >> No specific configuration for erc, just enabling tracker is enough. > >> Then, run erc, and, in any erc buffer, call ibuffer. The screen > >> briefly flashes as an ERC window opens then disappears, and the > >> ibuffer window is reduced to a much smaller size than what it would be > >> outside ERC. I think the issue is erc's hook to > >> window-configuration-change somehow messing with ibuffer, but I'm not > >> experienced enough to find where the bug is. > > Can't offer much insight but processing window-configuration-change > hooks has changed with Emacs 23. So this > > (defun erc-track-modified-channels () > "Hook function for `erc-insert-post-hook' to check if the current > buffer should be added to the modeline as a hidden, modified > channel. Assumes it will only be called when current-buffer > is in `erc-mode'." > (let ((this-channel (or (erc-default-target) > (buffer-name (current-buffer))))) > ... > > might have been broken for some reason. To verify, someone would have > to try with Emacs 22 and 23 inserting just before the `let' something > like > > (unless (eq major-mode 'erc-mode) > (message "Not in erc-mode ...")) > > and look whether it triggers. > > martin > > > > > >