all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1
@ 2008-08-07 15:58 paul.mead
       [not found] ` <mailman.16003.1218128955.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: paul.mead @ 2008-08-07 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Linked with my previous problems getting an earlier version to load
my .emacs file, I have upgraded to a newer version available from a
cygwin mirror. Now it looks as though it is trying to load my .emacs
but having troubles when it tries to set the major mode.

When I try M-x outline-mode, I get the following error:

Couldn't open load file: easy-mmode

I've tried searching for help on this but found nothing - is there
another component that I need to find?

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1
@ 2008-08-07 17:09 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.16003.1218128955.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: paul.mead; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.08.2008 um 17:58 schrieb paul.mead:

> When I try M-x outline-mode, I get the following error:
>
> Couldn't open load file: easy-mmode
>
> I've tried searching for help on this but found nothing - is there
> another component that I need to find?

No ELisp file should be missing (but there were problems with this
file and the NS version of GNU Emacs *23* when building it). Are you
sure that you do *not* have a mixture of a few Emacsen? Does it cost
you much money to download up-to-date GNU Emacs 22.2? Is it too
complicated to create a new directory in which you can out-pack the
GNU Emacs 22.2 archive? You'll have a clean start ... (which might
imply less problems)

--
Greetings

   Pete

If it does exist, it's out of date.
				– Arnold's Second Law of Documentation

@ 2008-08-08  7:59   ` paul.mead
From: paul.mead @ 2008-08-08  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 7, 6:09 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 07.08.2008 um 17:58 schrieb paul.mead:
>
> > When I try M-x outline-mode, I get the following error:
>
> > Couldn't open load file: easy-mmode
>
> > I've tried searching for help on this but found nothing - is there
> > another component that I need to find?
>
> No ELisp file should be missing (but there were problems with this
> file and the NS version of GNU Emacs *23* when building it). Are you
> sure that you do *not* have a mixture of a few Emacsen? Does it cost
> you much money to download up-to-date GNU Emacs 22.2? Is it too
> complicated to create a new directory in which you can out-pack the
> GNU Emacs 22.2 archive? You'll have a clean start ... (which might
> imply less problems)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> If it does exist, it's out of date.
>                                 – Arnold's Second Law of Documentation

Peter

you're right of course, I was being lazy and slightly apprehensive
about compiling under cygwin and took the 'easy' route of downloading
a pre-packaged higher version. I'm compiliing 22.2 now and I'll update
once that's done.

Cheers

@ 2008-08-08  8:35   ` paul.mead
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16086.1218187303.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: paul.mead @ 2008-08-08  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 7, 6:09 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 07.08.2008 um 17:58 schrieb paul.mead:
>
> > When I try M-x outline-mode, I get the following error:
>
> > Couldn't open load file: easy-mmode
>
> > I've tried searching for help on this but found nothing - is there
> > another component that I need to find?
>
> No ELisp file should be missing (but there were problems with this
> file and the NS version of GNU Emacs *23* when building it). Are you
> sure that you do *not* have a mixture of a few Emacsen? Does it cost
> you much money to download up-to-date GNU Emacs 22.2? Is it too
> complicated to create a new directory in which you can out-pack the
> GNU Emacs 22.2 archive? You'll have a clean start ... (which might
> imply less problems)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> If it does exist, it's out of date.
>                                 – Arnold's Second Law of Documentation

Nothing's ever simple, is it? I  ran configure all ok, then make. it
has now hung. My Task Manager has an 'emacs.exe' process taking up 50%
of my CPU and plenty of memory. The last command shown by make was:

EMACSLOADPATH=/home/paul/emacs-22.2/leim/../lisp LC_ALL=C ../src/emacs
-batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l /home/paul/
emacs-22.2/leim/../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
          -f batch-titdic-convert -dir quail /home/paul/emacs-22.2/
leim/CXTERM-DIC; \
          echo "changed" > changed.tit

If I try to run src/emacs from another console it also hangs.

* Re: Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1
@ 2008-08-08  9:20     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16086.1218187303.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-08  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: paul.mead; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2008 um 10:35 schrieb paul.mead:

> EMACSLOADPATH=/home/paul/emacs-22.2/leim/../lisp LC_ALL=C ../src/emacs
> -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l /home/paul/
> emacs-22.2/leim/../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
>           -f batch-titdic-convert -dir quail /home/paul/emacs-22.2/
> leim/CXTERM-DIC; \
>           echo "changed" > changed.tit

This looks as if GNU Emacs wasn't built completely yet, as if make is
still byte-compiling ELisp files. You can compile a new Emacs inside
an old Emacs. The *compilation* buffer will signal in its mode-line
whether compilation has finished or it's still continuing.

A 'make bootstrap' on my Mac with GNU Emacs 23 can take *hours*
(PowerPC with 1 GHz, mediocre disk)! And during this time the CPU
works at around 100 % of its power. With multi-core CPUs you can
invoke 'make -j' to try to make use of all cores. (Add '-l <float>'
to limit load to 3.75 or whatever is appropriate. In summer.)

BTW, I never compiled GNU Emacs in MS Windows or in Cygwin.

--
Greetings

   Pete

				– Oscar Wilde

@ 2008-08-08  9:28       ` paul.mead
From: paul.mead @ 2008-08-08  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> This looks as if GNU Emacs wasn't built completely yet, as if make is
> still byte-compiling ELisp files. You can compile a new Emacs inside
> an old Emacs. The *compilation* buffer will signal in its mode-line
> whether compilation has finished or it's still continuing.

Thanks Peter, I think compiling emacs within emacs is beyond my
(current) level of competence, but I will re-run make and give it the
rest of the day to complete. I didn't think it would be such a long
task, since compiling stuff like Linux kernels is much shorter.

@ 2008-08-08 10:13         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-08 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: paul.mead; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2008 um 11:28 schrieb paul.mead:

> I think compiling emacs within emacs is beyond my
> (current) level of competence

Open in dired the directory with the Emacs sources.
Type M-x compile RET.
Change the default command (probably make -k) to "./configure <your
choices>" RET.
   (you might like to save the *compilation* buffer from the
configure step)
Type M-x compile RET again.
Add to the default command a "bootstrap" target and press RET.
   (you might like to save the *compilation* buffer from the
compilation step)
Hours later you could again type M-x compile RET, but change the
default command to "sudo make install" RET ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
				– Isaac Asimov

* Re: Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1
@ 2008-08-08 10:29           ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2008-08-08 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Open in dired the directory with the Emacs sources.
> Type M-x compile RET.
> Change the default command (probably make -k) to "./configure <your
> choices>" RET.
>  (you might like to save the *compilation* buffer from the configure step)
> Type M-x compile RET again.
> Add to the default command a "bootstrap" target and press RET.
>  (you might like to save the *compilation* buffer from the compilation
> step)
> Hours later you could again type M-x compile RET, but change the default
> command to "sudo make install" RET ...
>

> Thanks - after writing my last post I decided that I should find out how to
do this, so it's currently exercising my CPU from within emacs. I just ran
the default make -k. What does the 'bootstrap' part do? I can't find it in
the help for make.

* Re: Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1
@ 2008-08-09 18:47             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-09 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2008 um 12:29 schrieb Paul Mead:

>  What does the 'bootstrap' part do?

It also byte-compiles ELisp files. After a successful 'make
bootstrap' GNU Emacs can be installed.

Some documentation can be found in the INSTALL file and inside Emacs
documentation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
				– Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi