all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs with the book/cd "GNU Software For Windows"?
@ 2002-09-01 16:30 Steve
From: Steve @ 2002-09-01 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi;

I was thinking about buying the book

"GNU Software for MS-Windows and MS-DOS and Compatible Systems (2nd
edition) (book with CD)"

from gnu at:
http://www.gnu.org/doc/windows.html

I was wondering if anyone had this book and would know if it has the
latest version of emacs.

The link above looks a bit dated.  I was wondering if the software was
maintained with the latest, greatest that gnu has.

BTW, is the cygwin the same as you would get it elsewhere ( redhat etc
)?

How much space does it require?

Is it very difficult to install xwindows on top of that?

Steve

* Re: Emacs with the book/cd "GNU Software For Windows"?
@ 2002-09-01 19:30 ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-01 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was wondering if anyone had this book and would know if it has the
> latest version of emacs.

BTW, here's my experience the last time i ordered books from FSF -->

* the new manual had come out... They automatically upgraded my order
  to get me the newest.   I think they try to make sure they don't
  ship you an emacs20 manual if the current emacs is emacs21...

* just to be sure, call them on the number listed on the "orders"
  page...  They were very helpful on the phone.

DG                                 http://24.197.159.102/~deego/
--
RIAA logic applied to cars--->
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2002/08/ride_sharing.html

* Re: Emacs with the book/cd "GNU Software For Windows"?
@ 2002-09-02  8:39 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-09-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 Sep 2002 09:30:56 -0700, stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote:

>Hi;
>
>I was thinking about buying the book
>
>"GNU Software for MS-Windows and MS-DOS and Compatible Systems (2nd
>edition) (book with CD)"
>
>from gnu at:
>http://www.gnu.org/doc/windows.html
>
>I was wondering if anyone had this book and would know if it has the
>latest version of emacs.
>
>The link above looks a bit dated.  I was wondering if the software was
>maintained with the latest, greatest that gnu has.

Look here:

http://www.gnu.org/doc/windows.html

Especially the part that says "GNU Emacs 20.5".

Latest release is 21.2.

* Re: Emacs with the book/cd "GNU Software For Windows"?
@ 2002-09-02 17:24   ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2002-09-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk (John McCabe) wrote in message news:<3d732365.2452266@news.demon.co.uk>...
> On 1 Sep 2002 09:30:56 -0700, stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote:
>
> >Hi;
> >
> >I was thinking about buying the book
> >
> >"GNU Software for MS-Windows and MS-DOS and Compatible Systems (2nd
> >edition) (book with CD)"
> >
> >from gnu at:
> >http://www.gnu.org/doc/windows.html
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone had this book and would know if it has the
> >latest version of emacs.
> >
> >The link above looks a bit dated.  I was wondering if the software was
> >maintained with the latest, greatest that gnu has.
>
> Look here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/doc/windows.html
>
> Especially the part that says "GNU Emacs 20.5".
>
> Latest release is 21.2.

Thanks.  I had that link in my original post ( see the quoted material
above ) and I did read the description on the web site.

I guess I needed to be clearer about my question, which should have
been about whether or not the web site for the book was up to date.

@ 2002-09-02 18:20     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-09-02 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs
> Date: 2 Sep 2002 10:24:59 -0700
>
> I guess I needed to be clearer about my question, which should have
> been about whether or not the web site for the book was up to date.

It is up to date in the sense that the CD with the versions of
software it advertizes is the latest edition of the GNU Software for
MS-Windows.