all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Running WebKit browser in Emacs!
@ 2014-03-03 16:01 lazycat.manatee
From: lazycat.manatee @ 2014-03-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I have write wiki that how to make WebKit browser running in Emacs, enjoy!

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WebKit

  -- AndyStewart ( http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AndyStewart )

* Running WebKit browser in Emacs!
@ 2014-03-08  0:22 Daniel Hackney
From: Daniel Hackney @ 2014-03-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: lazycat.manatee, help-gnu-emacs

For another approach, see my old project Ezbl [1]. It used the XEmbed
Emacs branch to communicate with the Uzbl [2] web browser. I stopped
working on it because it wasn't useful without compiling Emacs from
source and I think XEmbed might have had some stability problems at the
time. What's nice about my approach (aside from the obvious benefits of
NIH-compliance) is that Uzbl is embedded directly, rather than being
displayed as an image. I imagine this would be more efficient.

Awesome work though! It would be great if someone got a fully-viable
Emacs web browser working.

[1] https://github.com/haxney/ezbl
[2] http://www.uzbl.org/

--
Daniel Hackney

* Re: Running WebKit browser in Emacs!
       [not found] <mailman.16712.1394238253.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-08 19:31 ` ian.tegebo
From: ian.tegebo @ 2014-03-08 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, March 7, 2014 4:22:01 PM UTC-8, Daniel Hackney wrote:
> For another approach, see my old project Ezbl [1]. It used the XEmbed

And yet another,

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/eww

This approach is nice because it's pure elisp; the benefits could be manifold.  On the one hand, it doesn't require a custom build.

On the other, I believe such an approach could be used to create graphical interfaces in Emacs for Emacs, e.g. Customize, but using the far more ubiquitous HTML/CSS languages as oppose to working directly with buffer/window/text-properties.  Going further, js2-mode already has a fair bit of what's needed for an EMCAScript implementation. There's still a mountain of work to get through, but doing so would make Emacs even better for javascript development.

Currently, I suspect the difficulty of understanding the Emacs/Elisp interfaces and rendering model are why we don't see more ambitious graphical features from the community.  To be clear, I'm not claiming that the Emacs/Elisp interfaces and rendering model *can* or *should* be simplified.  That may or may not be so.  My point is that many more people already understand the HTML/CSS interfaces and rendering model and that learning another is a significant barrier.