all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auctex with several automatic runs
@ 2007-09-06  0:31 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-09-06  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am looking for a auctex setup, which does the needed
latex-bibtex-latex-latex-view runs
automatically, when needed, with using C-cC-C just once. I
am pretty sure, I did have this option
somewhere, but I lost and can't find it anymore.
Would be nice, if anybody can help out!?

Greetings!
Fabian

* Re: auctex with several automatic runs
@ 2007-09-06  9:11 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-06  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Braennstroem; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 02:31 schrieb Fabian Braennstroem:

> I am looking for a auctex setup, which does the needed
> latex-bibtex-latex-latex-view runs
> automatically, when needed, with using C-cC-C just once.

It's not exactly what you want, but latexmk offers what you need:
http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

      _o    o         o   o
    _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
   (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

* Re: auctex with several automatic runs
@ 2007-09-06 14:03   ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2007-09-06 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Fabian Braennstroem, help-gnu-emacs

On 9/6/07, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 06.09.2007 um 02:31 schrieb Fabian Braennstroem:
>
> > I am looking for a auctex setup, which does the needed
> > latex-bibtex-latex-latex-view runs
> > automatically, when needed, with using C-cC-C just once.
>
> It's not exactly what you want, but latexmk offers what you need:
> http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/

The problem I find with latexmk is the following use case:

  1. Run `latexmk -pvc -pdf <my-tex-document>` so that latexmk will
re-TeX my file whenever it changes.
  2. Make a change that causes pdflatex to barf -- a syntax error, or
something similar.
  3. Immediately fix the error because 99% of the time it's something
stupid and simple.
  3. latexmk hangs on the error and if you Ctrl-D to abort pdflatex,
latexmk does not notice that I have corrected the error (i.e. it does
not immediately attempt to recompile).  This forces me to manually
restart latexmk, which defeats the entire purpose of automatic
recompilation.

Essentially this forces me to wait until I'm fairly sure I've written
valid LaTeX before saving.  I am a compulsive saver; I save after
every phrase I write, while I think about how to complete the phrase.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

--
                              Denis

* Re: auctex with several automatic runs
@ 2007-09-06 14:58     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.421.1189091630.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-06 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Bueno; +Cc: Fabian Braennstroem, help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 16:03 schrieb Denis Bueno:

> I save after every phrase I write, while I think about how to
> complete the phrase.

Why do you make latexmk compile an unfinished document continuously?
Can't you wait until it's ready for a first try? You'll save time and
energy ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: auctex with several automatic runs
@ 2007-09-06 15:13       ` Denis Bueno
       [not found]       ` <mailman.421.1189091630.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Denis Bueno @ 2007-09-06 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Fabian Braennstroem, help-gnu-emacs

On 9/6/07, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 06.09.2007 um 16:03 schrieb Denis Bueno:
>
> > I save after every phrase I write, while I think about how to
> > complete the phrase.
>
> Why do you make latexmk compile an unfinished document continuously?
> Can't you wait until it's ready for a first try? You'll save time and
> energy ...

That was my point.  It *should* save me time just to let it compile
continuously.  If there is an error, it should print it and
immediately wait for me to correct it.

The other thing is I use TeXshop (on a mac) to continuously read the
PDF file and update the display I'm looking at.  The effect is that
whenever I save I automatically know if the LaTeX PDF output looks
right.

--
                              Denis

@ 2007-09-07  0:13         ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-09-07  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all,

thanks for the help, but I am pretty sure, that auctex can
do the automatic running...
maybe I am wrong.

Greetings!
Fabian